PowersellerNYC / Misrepresentation of price and condition

1 3670-3672 Nostrand AvenueNew York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: (866) 898-1052

Company sold me a home theater projector that had been tampered with, preventing redemption of rebate worth $700 and precluding product registration for extended warranty purposes.

On June 15, 2009, I bought online an Epson 6500UB projector from PowersellerNYC for the advertised price of $2, 864. The projector was listed as “new.”

The box arrived a few days later without a serial number label, which is required to redeem the current $400 + spare bulb rebate offered by Epson. PowersellerNYC customer service stated that is because they don't sell merchandise that is eligible for the rebate and the box label was intentionally removed before shipping to prevent redemption of the rebate.

Upon further inspection, I found the data plate, which should be on the projector itself, was also missing. Therefore, I have no serial number information on the projector and cannot register the extended warranty sold to me by PowersellerNYC, making the warranty worthless.

The bottom line is that PowersellerNYC advertised a price and made no mention of "after rebate" or anything else like it. During my initial complaint by phone on 23 June, the merchant’s customer service representative acknowledged that the “only thing they did wrong” was advertise the after-rebate price without specifying that fact. (Other vendors’ sites do clearly disclose the price both before and after the rebate.) I even mentioned to the person during order confirmation by phone more than a week earlier that I was going to redeem the rebate and he didn't say a word in warning.

This same projector is available from AT LEAST three other vendors listed on Pricegrabber.com for about $100 more, but they explicitly acknowledge the rebate eligibility and value, which brings their prices well below this misleading outfit in New York. That doesn’t even account for the $300 bulb, which I also have missed out on. So, for $100 more in price, I could’ve gotten $700 more in value. This equates to $600, or 20+ percent, net loss on my part. I hardly think PowersellerNYC would be successful advertising honest prices 20% above the competition. I’ll leave it to you to decide whether this was willful misrepresentation.

Made my initial notification to customer service and was promised a call back within 24 hours. Five days and two additional attempts later I’ve heard nothing, but they had no problem confirming my order within mere hours. I’ll be happy to edit this review if PowersellerNYC addresses my complaint in an acceptable manner. For now, I’m not holding my breath and this rating stands. Buyer beware.

PS. Don't be fooled by the storefront pic on their website, which might lend some credibility to their operation by indicating that they are a legit business with a physical store. The sign over over the doorways has been photoshopped. Don't know who those folks are or where they really work.

PowersellerNYC

Ro

Comments

• Ro
      10th of Jul, 2009

Can't figure out how to update/edit, so I'll try it this way...

Had what I considered to be a serious problem with my purchase of an Epson 6500UB projector from PowersellerNYC. Product arrived on time, but without a serial number label on the box and it was also missing the data plate with the same info. This prevented me from redeeming the manufacturer’s rebate worth $700 (cash plus bulb) as well as prohibited product registration for the extended warranty I purchased. I felt this constituted misrepresentation of price (at a minimum) and aggressively pursued restitution through the merchant's customer service representative, Justin.

After some early “hiccups” with PowersellerNYC’s customer service, the company offered a satisfactory resolution to my complaint. All in all, the experience would’ve been better if the problem had never occurred, but I have to give them credit for settling the issue in an equitable manner. Would only suggest that buyers are very careful about establishing all the facts relevant to their purchasing decision before hitting the “checkout” button. Don’t assume anything and clear up any potential issues during the phone confirmation. Guess I could've done a better job of this myself and hope this review might help keep others from stumbling into the same situation.

(Have to say I do absolutely love the projector.)