Powerhouse Securities Inc. /Shoppers Sweepstakes / Winning Final Notification

1 100 First St.Morriston, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 905-781-2372

Hello,

We received a letter in the mail from Powerhouse Securities Inc. I called, out of curiosity, and stated I received a check along with a notice of final notification to claim my winnings. They asked for my telephone number, I told them I would only give them my claim number. They put me on hold and no one ever came back on the line. Hmmm???

The Powerhouse Securities Inc., International Claim Department, sent a check in the amount of $4980.00 US dollars, allegedly, deducted from our winnings for the sole purpose of of paying government taxes on our big winnings of $250, 000.00. You cannot cash or use this check until you contact them for further clarification?? Now, if the tax amount is $4980.00 US dollars, then why do they want you to cash the check and send them $2995.00 US dollars to be paid by either moneygram or western union.

They give you a name of a person, Lewis McGregor, along with a telephone number to call, then the letter is signed by the promotions manager, Mary Peters, but the actual signature doesn't even match her name!

Please do not be naive to these letters, emails, or telephone calls. You might be able to pass off the check and get the cash, but eventually the banks catch up to you and YOU have to pay everything back. I have heard about this and seen enough of this on the news, etc... DO NOT GET CAUGHT IN THESE SCAMS.

Mr

Comments

• Ru
      5th of Aug, 2009

SOUNDS REALLY FAMILIAR MY MOM ALSO RECEIVED THE SAME LETTER THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT IS THE TELEPHONE NUMBER !!! I ADVISED MY MOM BEFORE I LEFT AND BROUGHT THE COMPANIES NAMES WITH ME TO INVESTIGATE THAT I WAS 99 % SURE THIS WAS A SCAM NOT TO DO IT :) GLAD NOW SHE DIDNT !!! THE NUMBER I RECEIVED WAS TO THIS:
    FIRST FAMILY SECURITIES INC.
    100 FIRST STREET
    MORRISTON, ONTARIO
    1-647-894-7624

11th of Aug, 2009

I received this check out of the blue or $4980.00 yesterday. I held it in my pocket thinking about wondering as why someone would send me this check. I couldn't remember if I mailed anything for any sweepstakes. I searched on the internet because I didn't even wan to call the long distance number they provided. The envelope has no return address and there are two address's. On the check it has First Family Securities Inc., 7 high Street Ste. 411, Huntington, NY 11743 and the other is 100 first Street, Morriston, Ontario, Canada H4N-3L4. Telephone number 1-647-894-4620. It was tempting because I lost my job and recently ran out of my unemployment, struggling with two kids as a single parent. I may be desperate but not that desperate. This will go in the trash today. Thanks for this website and the information.

Sincerly,
    Lanham, Maryland

• Wi
      14th of Aug, 2009

Hello, I too received this same letter with the enclosed check for $4, 980.00. Was thinking the same as the lady who had just lost her job; I am a single mother who is disabled--man that money could really come in handy. I called the number on the letter, (in this case the promotion manager's name was Barbara Bryan) and asked her what the letter entailed. She told me I had entered sweepstakes through Wal-Mart, Home Depot etc and had been drawn the winning number. I asked her if this was a scam, and her reply was, "We don't do scams." Then I asked her if she would mind if I called the BBB to further check into it, and she replied, "Do what you want, good-bye". What does that tell us?? I am going to run the check and letter through my paper shredder; too bad I used my cell phone-- now they have that number!!!

• Ro
      21st of Aug, 2009

I, too, received a letter with a check for US$4980 yesterday, but decided to check it out. It comes from FirstFamily Securities Inc, 100 First St, Morrison ONT H4N-3L4, Tel: 1-905-598-0615, but on the check the address is 7 High Street Ste 411, Huntingdon NY 11743. A Lewis McGregor is the contact person, and the Promotion Manager is a Barbara Bryan. My claim no. is WA/SDH-0101, for anyone who wishes to claim “my money”. The check is supposedly backed by HSBC, 268 Canal Street, New York City NY 10013-3516.

The envelope alone reeks of scam: (1) it looks like it could have been bought at Staples or anywhere else, (2) it has no window, (3) my name is written on a label stuck to the envelope, not printed right on it, (4) it has no forwarding address, and (5) no advertising and flashy wording on the front, as most Sweepstakes do on the face of their mail.

The letter itself looks very unprofessional: (1) no official letterhead, just words typed up top, looking like they were centralized using the “tab” bar rather than the “center” alignment, (2) the margins are off all around (too much margin), (3) poor combination of font size and style, not much to look at, (4) addressed to “Sir/Madam” rather than to me directly as customary, and (5) many grammatical errors that would have been obvious to people who do this legitimately and want to present a professional face.

The check looks good at first glance, and could be taken by your bank, but it’s only as good as the funds backing it up, if any. Some people claim to have found errors on it, but I didn’t find any on mine, except that the words on the written amount are separated by dashes, something I have never seen before.

Overall, I have questions: (1) Why claim that they sent me “many unsuccessful attempts” to contact me, when I only received one letter? (2) Why send a check for such a large amount of money with no kind of postal insurance or equivalent? (3) Why do they require your money before their check clears? (4) Why is the tax amount wrong for the kind of money you supposedly won?

Roberto Rodriguez Sr
    Philadelphia PA

3rd of Sep, 2009

i got a check today, I was curious enough to check the internet to see if it was valid, it informed me it was a scam, if looks like a scam it usually is.

• St
      14th of Jun, 2011

I recieved a check from Amboy Bank in Oldbridge, North Carolina, for $4975. Like many others who complained, I too was sold a bill of goods that this is to cover taxes so that I could get $250, 000. "Skylinc International Group" sent this out, allegedly from Switzerland. The check looks legit, even has a watermark. Thanks to those before me on this site who have called my attention to this.