PowerHouse Gym / Cancellation

1 Watchung, NJ, United States Review updated:

I joined this gym during their pre-opening sale. I was told the gym would open in Early December and I would get a call. I also joined an additional nutrition class as well which was an additional fee. December came and went as well as January. I still had not received a phone call. At this time I was planning on moving and when I called the first time I was told that I would have to call someone back when they officially opened to cancel because of relocation. I asked when this openeing would be but no response. I tried again about mid January and at this time I was told, "oh we open tomorrow", I was surprised since I never received a phone call. I explained the situration and I was told that I would need actually proof that I am moving to cancel membership. So I moved and got my lease and had to travel 2 hours each way to show proof that I moved. To my surprise after all this I was told by their corporate office that my papers had not reached them yet and I had to talk to the office I was a member at. Now, I was told my the gym that they just faxed my papers (after having them for 2 weeks) but I could still not cancel for 60 days. Now no one told me any of this information about the additional 60 days. I called corporate office back again and questioned this and they confirmed this to be true, so I said I have to pay for a gym membership that I can not use because I live 2 hours from the gym. She stated "Yes" . I aske to speak to a supervisor and someone over the supervisor. I am still waiting a call back as well as the addtional money I paid that no one seems to know where it is but I have the cancelled check. I am sorry I ever joined because there is a lot of false advertising.

Comments

• Zx
      21st of May, 2009

Totally agree with these comments. I had a similar experience with the same gym. I canceled my membership after 3 visits and well within the 14 trial period that was offered prior to opening. Two months later I received a call from a collection agency stating that I owed them $770. The gym made no effort to process a valid cancelation within the 14 trial period; nor did it make any effort to contact me before turning it over to a collection agency.

A thoroughy dishonest and unreputable establishment.;

• Po
      16th of Sep, 2010

I totally agree powerhouse is the shadiest gym ever. I tried to cancel my membership and they gave the biggest run around of my life. First i went in to gym to cancel my membership and they gave me an 800 number so i called it and they told me they didnt handle cancellations and that i would have contact powerhouse. After countless phone calls and transfers i had to make another trip to the gym and speak with manager who was convienently able to call the same 800 number i called and cancel my membership. No one in there right mind should sign for powerhouse unless they want to get screwed and plus their equipment is awful.

• Gy
      5th of May, 2011

Thought the gym was great, equipment state of the art, trainers on the ball all the time and the owners were terrific people!! we need more places like this .As for the others that complain they read the rules when they signed up .oh well some people are just fat and stupid and will use any excuse to quit working out!!!

• Gy
      5th of May, 2011

This place was great, state of the art equipment, great staff, and the most wonderful owners.Some people are just not satisfied [the fat lazy stupid ones] that use any excuse to quit!!!