Positec USA / Bad service

PO Box 681298Charlotteville, NY, United States Review updated:
3.8
I purchased this product last year and used it about six times. This summer brought it out to use again and it worked fine. The next use however the charger simply stopped working. I contacted the company and they immediately wnated to sell me a new charger. I explained that I had only charged the battery less than eight times and I felt that it must be that the part was defective. Their manual states "If your WORX product becomes defective due to faulty materials within the specified period of 24 months we guarantee to repair or replace all defective parts free of charge."

The customer service rep would not budge stating that the warranty was only 30 days and I would have to purchase another charger. She also tried to suggest that I must not have used the charger properly and that is why it stopped working. I said I wanted to speak to a higher up in the company. She assured me that someone would call me within 24 to 48 hours. As you could guess no one ever called. I think I'll go back to my gas powered trimmer. Even with the cost of gas it is still a much better choice. I guess that is what you get from infomercials.
Va

Comments

St
  7th of Apr, 2009
Although I am finding lots of internet documentation about this company Postitec (Rockwell, Worx, etc.) being nothing more than a chinese guy and a bunch of American hired-hands ready to take your money but give no support for their products in return, in this particular case about the recharger and battery, it illustrates a huge issue now arising in the rechargable consumer-tool market (and elsewhere), that MOST manufacturers are just as ignorant of as the consumers buying the products...

...that is, rechargable battery physics/chemistry.

Battery technology is a somewhat fickle field, something you really need to know about before you can place blame on a manufacturer. Lead-acid batteries, for instance, will "sulfate, " or have an insulating layer of a type of sulphur crystal grow over the lead plates of the battery if that battery is left sitting for more than a few weeks...the end result being that battery is now dead, because the sulphur crystals now insulate, or shield, the lead from the acid, so no more chemical reaction can occur, therefore, no more electricity...no amount of attempting charging will make any difference...although many new car-battery 12 volt chargers now have processors inside, and have a "de-sulphate" cycle that will break up those sulphur crystals and bring the battery back to life.

Laptop batteries, being Lithium Ion, have their own set of chemistry-based limitations the consumer (AND manufacturers) NEED to know about. Exposer to heat, such as leaving your laptop battery installed all the time, even when running on wall-power, therefore exposed to the heat of the processor running in the laptop, will deplete that Lithium Ion battery's ability to take a charge within 6 months or so...and once that happens, unlike the "de-sulphate" function usable on lead-acid battery chargers, you can't revive a Lithium Ion battery...time to recycle/throw it away.

So, in this case of the Worx tool, I suspect it was the battery chemistry that's at fault here, and the user not being instructed by the manufacture on how to keep the battery alive (because the manufacturer is just as ignorant, PARTICULARLY their minimum-wage so-called Customer Service dept !).
Ru
  8th of May, 2009
WHAT ABOUT THE CHEMISTRY OF NiCd BATTERIES?
Vs
  6th of Sep, 2009
I too have had bad experiences with Worx--Its impossible to order "free replacement spools" via the
internet, it is so frustrating and the phone number that is given (1 866 354-9679 ) doesn't even
ring. I"m beginning to think that I made a big mistake in ordering the trimmer. I had plans to order
one for my son as a gift, but at this point, I think not. V. Stanley
De
  7th of Nov, 2009
I ordered the Worx GT 3 piece Trimmer, blower & hedger in September '09' and I love it. When the package arrived it was missing the Lithium battery pack. Very frustrating.

I called Customer Service and they wanted me to return the entire package. This was not an option for me. Too much hassle in running around and waiting for them to send me a return label.

I drilled down a bit deeper on their website and found a customer service email address and wrote to them explaining the problem. My email was answered in less than 2 hours and they shipped out 2 new lithium batteries, no questions asked and no hassles!

The batteries are $80.00 each ($109.00 at ordertree.com) but they sent the second one to me for my inconvenience. The two (2) lithium batteries and the shipping cost me zero...nothing at all. Just my time in writting the email.

The moral of the story is getting to someone in the company who can actually help you. My contact was a guy was Michael Rivera and he was great. I got what I needed just by using email and without any telephone calls at all. I find that many business people are like myself. They would rather address an email at their convenience instead of talking on the telephone. Also, by using email, each party has a wriiten copy of the exact problem and/or nature of the communication. This is very helpful when following up ao passing it along to their people to take care of.

Michael Rivera
Corp. Customer Service Representative
Michael.Rivera@positecusa.com

1-866-514-7625 Rockwell
1-866-354-9679 Worx

I highly recommend the Worx GT lawn and garden tools. They're light and easy to use and they actually make yard work a bit fun to do. And trust me... I hate yard work. Hate it! I run Decks USA a national deck company and we are in the process of offering these fine tools on our website.

Sincerely,

Mark G.
Decks USA
www.DecksUSA.com
  15th of Jun, 2010
My name is norma ortega and i ordered the worxgt lawn and garden tool, on june 14 am which happen to be my birthday, well talking to my daughter that day i found out she had ordered one for me already, anyway I avent been able to get through to customer service for 2 day now to cancle my order recording only and to hold on, then says they will call you back, which they havent. so sad its so easy to get through to order it and its hell to get through to cancle the order, and from what i have read on this page today as i get on line, i
can see problems with the way your company handles people with many problems or questions. I would LOVE it if someone would contact me so i can cancle my order, please please please...norma ortega my # cell is 505-930-0246, if no answer call my work its ok 505-341-3526
  15th of Jun, 2010
my name is norma ortega and i ordered th worxgt lawn and garden tool, on june 14 A M which happen to be my birthsday, well talking to my daughter that day i found out she had ordered one for me already, anyway i havent been able to get through to customer service for 2 days nw to cancle my order recording only and they say to hld on and on and on, than the recording says they will call back in about 5 hours cause they are so busy with customers, yea right, they have not call back i am going on day 3 and i still dant get threw, So SAD, its so easy to get through to order it and its HELL to cancle th order, and from what i have read on this page today as i get on line, i can see problems with the way your company handle people with many problems or questions. I would LOVE it if someone would contact me ASAP so i can cancle my order, please please please...Norma ortega my day phone at work its ok to call for this # 505-341-3526 my cell # is 505-930-0246Thanks Again
Ly
  27th of May, 2011
Like Mark G. I had a very positive experience with
Michael Rivera
Corp. Customer Service Representative
Michael.Rivera@positecusa.com

It is very easy to get a free replacement battery on the WORX website. Here are the steps.
If you do not already have an account with worxtools.com click here to create an account, then follow the steps below.
To order your replacement battery please click the link below and follow these instructions:
Add the battery to your cart
Click the "GoTo Cart" button.
Click the "Checkout" button
In the upper left use the dialog to log in to your account
Fill out the form with your billing and shipping information
Click "Continue"
On the left of the page fill out the form for "Coupon Code" with RESHPBAT
Click "Apply" - This will remove the charges for your battery
Fill out the "Coupon Code" again with RESHPBAT2
Click "Apply" - This will remove the charges for your shipping
You should now have an order for ZERO dollars.
Click "Complete Order"

I think the customer servie at WORX is GREAT!
Lo
  13th of Jul, 2011
Less than a year ago I purchased a worx trimmer via television. At frist the trimmer worked ok. As time progressed the battery wouldn't hold a charge for only a very short time. I called the company and the lady stated to recharge the battey, use it for ten minutes and let it cool and re charge again until the green light showes. I try this method yet with in 10(ten) seconds the green light comes on and the battery has recieved only a minute charge. I feel the battery is Faulty or the Charger is faulty. Either refund me the purchase p[rice or send me a new battery as I feel the Company is responsible for the situation. Thank you, Lowell Bell. 8600 W Adaline St Yorktown In 47396
Lo