Porsche-Johannesburg-South Africa / Latent gearbox defect

South Africa Review updated:

I am the proud owner of a Porsche 911 Carrera 4, year of manufacture 2000, odometer 66000kms, this vehicle was purchased new from the local Porsche Distributor, and serviced in strict accordance with prescibed service schedule . The low mileage is due to the vehicle being a "weekend automobile" . I was notified 2 years ago of a leaking gearbox seal and the service consultant was to order a new gasket and inform me as to when available. As no further communication took place, at the next service I informed the service consultant on duty of the pending replacement of the gearbox gasket/seal only to be informed to my horror that the seal cannot be replaced being a sealed gearbox, instead the entire geabox must be replaced at a cost of approx. 14, 000 US Dollars.
I express my total rejection of the wear and tear argument and further presented a counter-argument citing latent inherent defect which I want remedied by the manufacturer in accordance with the product liability legislation of the country .
I have been badly deceived by Porsche South Africa and I feel obliged to inform the world wide Porsche fan fraternity of my unpleasant experience .

Ro
Feb 15, 2013

Comments

• Td
      Feb 15, 2013

Come on, we all know about the 14 year warranty on some cars.

• Ri
      May 16, 2014

Very Poor experience at Oakville Porsche. Upon buying a preowned car and putting a deposit on it, the sales rep Ajeet Kapila sold the car to another buyer without advising client of doing so or returning the deposit. Not something you would expect from Porsche.

• Mk
      May 16, 2014

OK... How long ago did you put the deposit down and what are the terms on the receipt?