Polaroid 42& 1080p LCD TV / Broken TV in only one year

This is the first email I sent to Mr. Dan Anderson @ Polaroid on January 19th, 2009.
Hello Mr. Anderson, My name is Corry Moore. My mother, Cynthia Robinson and I purchased a Polaroid 42" LCD TV last January 22nd. Since then we have had it repaired twice. Now, our TV is down again for a separate issue. When we turn on the set after a while the screen goes black. We can still hear sound, but have no picture. We then, have to turn the TV off and on again. After another minute, the screen goes black again. Well, I first called about the issue on January 10, 2009. Since then, I have had three different people promise me that they themselves were going to call me back, and two people tell me that someone else was going to call me back. I have yet to receive a call from Polaroid at all. I have had to call on every occasion. Then, after calling yet again, I demanded to speak to a manager. Josie assisted me and assured me that I would have an answer before I got off the phone with her. The result, yet another promise that someone will call me back tomorrow. I do not have the time to keep persisting. I feel like the ball was dropped on Polaroid's end. You guys should do the follow up, not me. My TV is not working at all as far as I'm concerned. Look, I know that it is not easy to just replace a TV. I just want you to know that it was not easy for me to spend all of my hard earned money on a TV either. I bought Polaroid because I thought that it was a reliable brand. I hope that I am not disappointed in the end. I hope that my money was not wasted. Thank you for your time. Corry Moore
This is my first complaint to the Better Business Bureau on 2/05/09
Description of Problem: "Hello Mr. Anderson, My name is Corry Moore. My mother, Cynthia Robinson and I purchased a Polaroid 42" LCD TV last January 22nd. Since then we have had it repaired twice. Now, our TV is down again for a separate issue. When we turn on the set after a while the screen goes black. We can still hear sound, but have no picture. We then, have to turn the TV off and on again. After another minute, the screen goes black again. Well, I first called about the issue on January 10, 2009. Since then, I have had three different people promise me that they themselves were going to call me back, and two people tell me that someone else was going to call me back. I have yet to receive a call from Polaroid at all. I have had to call on every occasion. Then, after calling yet again, I demanded to speak to a manager. Josie assisted me and assured me that I would have an answer before I got off the phone with her. The result, yet another promise that someone will call me back tomorrow. I do not have the time to keep persisting. I feel like the ball was dropped on Polaroid''s end. You guys should do the follow up, not me. My TV is not working at all as far as I''m concerned. Look, I know that it is not easy to just replace a TV. I just want you to know that it was not easy for me to spend all of my hard earned money on a TV either. I bought Polaroid because I thought that it was a reliable brand. I hope that I am not disappointed in the end. I hope that my money was not wasted. Thank you for your time."
This is the exact email that I sent to Polaroid. Mr. Anderson replied that someone would call me. Illiana called me twice and I was not able to respond. I was able to call her a couple of days later. That was last week. I have been leaving her message after message. They are going to replace the TV. But, it is going to take a month for them to get us another TV. And we have to find our own box for ours. It is just a huge inconvenience! I have not had one good customer service experience with Polaroid yet. Please Help!

Settlement Sought: My TV is not going to be here for another month because the model that we have is not in stock. I think that they should give me a better TV, one that is in stock.

here is a copy of the response from Mr. Anderson on January 20th, 2009.
Hi, I do apologize for the issue with your TV. I have contacted the management at this customer support center to contact you as soon as they can. Thank You!

illiana finally called me back from an Unknown # and said that she had been trying to reach me. Which is a lie. They have 2 #'s listed for me: mine, and my boyfriend's. They didn't try to call either one.
Here is my 2nd complaint to the BBB on 2/10/09.

After I contacted the better business bureau about my situation. Illiana, and another lady called me back, Valerie. Anyways, I called Valerie back and she was not in. The gentleman I spoke with said that he could help me. He said that Polaroid would send me a replacement TV and I could use that box to ship my TV back in. I asked if it was going to be a new TV. He said that it would be a refurbished TV because the one I have is not being made anymore. I told him that the company should get me a better TV that is in stock. He replied that Polaroid only has 32" TVs, so I would have to down grade. He also told me that there would only be a 3 month warrenty on the replacement. After I got off the phone with him I decided to do a little research. I found this website (https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/polaroid). It has hundreds of complaints about Polaroid products and customer service. I got it easy. Some of those other people have gone through alot with Polaroid. After I saw that website, (I don't know how else to explain it), I felt raped and helpless. I now have no faith in Polaroid. Anyways, the latest news: Illiana called me today and let me know that Polaroid will not be able to send me a TV first. I have to send my TV and wait for the replacement. Yeah, Right! Not after what I read. They cannot have my TV until I get a replacement. I really don't understand how they can get away with this. Thank you for your time. Corry Moore

Comments

17th of Jun, 2009

my tv is doing exactly what yours is doing. I bought mine from Wal-mart roughly 2 years ago.

• Ms
      4th of Jul, 2009

Im also having the same problem with my TV same model, maybe we should start a class action law suit. Im willing to participate Msdontplay@gmail.com

• Mk
      7th of Jul, 2009

Sign me up -- my wife and I bought the exact same tv two years ago. Should have NEVER bought a Polaroid tv. I got exactly what I paid for -- walmart crap. m k c a w c u t t (at) m s n DOT com

• Ms
      21st of Nov, 2009

I have read everything I can find on the net about this problem for Polaroid TLX 04240b TVs (most, like mine, bought from Wal-Mart on Black Friday after Thanksgiving). I thought I was on a hot lead when I changed the 220uF 450v capacitor, but I still had the same problem. I saw a short post from somewhere on the FixYa web site (sometimes I can find it again and sometimes I have trouble locating it) that said someone flipped a tiny switch on their circuit board and the problem was gone. I did the same thing and my set has been working fine. They had said their set was on for over 8 hours two days in a row when they posted. The other night my daughter left our set on over night for 20 hours and the picture still was working great. If you look through the top of the set when the picture is on you can see some white light at several locations, when the screen goes blank the white lights go out and a red LED light can be seen. If you take off the plastic cover on the back (3 screws) and then take off the metal cover (3 screws) this red LED light is on the upper circuit board in the lower left corner. Just a little to the right of the LED light is a small switch block that has 4 tiny white switches. I turned my set off and took the bottom switch (#4 and had the letters BURN by it) to the right "ON" position, turned the set back on and, so far so good. PLEASE NOTE!!! I know almost nothing about how transistor circuits work. I have no idea what the switches do or what long term effect this might have on the set. The set was only good as a paper weight before so even if this only fixes the set for a short time it was at least worth a try for me. Does anyone know what those switches are supposed to be for?

12th of Mar, 2010

I have the same problem as stated in ALL of these complaints, I told my Girlfriend you just don't buy TV's because of the name...she bought this Polaroid TLX04240B before I met her and it has been setting for over a year with out any help from Polaroid on this...it was 3 months out of warranty.

I have spent countless hours trying to help her with this problem researching and talking to other owners that have this same problem...I can tell you I have not found anyone that has a working Polaroid TV...

She tried this fix last night and the TV has been on for over an hour...it hasn't done this for over a year...don't won't to get our hopes up but we'll see what happens...

Thanks for posting this fix...

• La
      3rd of Apr, 2010

if any one hears of a class action lawsuit please let me know i want in i baught 2 of the 42" flat screens and with in 3 days of each other they both now have the black screen only sound at $1500 dollars i am now so very pissed off

• Sh
      7th of Jul, 2010

Same problem here.. Its been an issue for about 3 - 4 moths now and i have had it for alittle over 2 yrs. I have had to leave it off for a a day or2 before the picture come back on. I will try the solution above & see if it helps at all. Thanks for Posting. THERE SHOULD DEFINATELY BE A CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT FILED!! Im in! Thanks
    Shannon ( info@4cthefuture.com)

• Oo
      5th of Mar, 2011

Thank you for putting up this post ... up it worked ... thumbs up ...

• 0 Votes

Hi all, i run a computer shop and a family member dropped the tv off to see if it can be fixed, so i first googled the issue and seen the comments by you and others, but have yet to hear what the issue is with the tv and what is causing it to do so, other than the tv is a peice of *****, , , , if someone is making a class action lawsuit please contact me via e-mail, charlie-uncle-price@hotmail.com or by facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/122311721284495/, , , i would like to see a solution to this matter for it is the customers who are being mislead and misinformed, , , , , but i would like to help these people out by finding a solution that i can fix. but the lawsuit is needed to make the companies understand that it is not right in what they do, , , we are a small voice among many but together we are strong and will be heard, , , hope to hear from you all. in the meantime i will search a way to fix the problem, , , thanks again

• Kn
      6th of Dec, 2013

here is another one who has been upset over my tv. well in the beginning my tv was wonderful. I had been watching it for a couple of years.then it started acting up this last week by all different colors across the screen. it got lined out all well for another day. II am with no tv and I am a senior citizen. who has many dr. bill. I use my tv to watch many fun shows due to it keeps my mind off my pain and off my problems. I called a few people too see if i could borrow a tv. but really who has extra tv on hand . so i understand no one does. mine is in my bedroom and i spend many hrs day and night time watching it. why the company will not do something I do not know. but i no longer have no paper work on the purchase anyway. my eyes are going bad fast and one day i won't be able to see the darn thing so i like to enjoy it now.money for most familys now days has to go far and this is worse if someone has this happen to children who pass time watching little kid shows. the comp should be made by law to at least give another tvif one has the paperwork where they purchased it. i do not have that but walmart will not do anything for us without it due to bad people who got one at a yard sale or pawn shop then I can kind of understand no refund. but it is not right at all.

• Kn
      6th of Dec, 2013

I am the one who sent the above comment in and i must explain why I stated people who buy one at a yard sale and then try to get a refund for the price of the tv when it breaks down . if they paid say $25. to even 50. for a tv no they should not get paid for the price of the tv if they bought it at walmart and paid full price for the tv. then yes, yes they should get a refund or some kind of deal. or the company who put the tv out should do a recall. for all even to the ones who got it at yard sale or pawn shop. because if it could cause harm to a home or a child or adult watching it. please understand I have shopped many times at yard sales and pawn shops love it for fun and good deals. not all people do bad things but you know as well as i do we have bad things going on all the time in our god given world. bless us all to get another tv.