Points Across America / Not a Scam, but Bad Idea, Difficult to Contact

I just want to say, first of all the agents for Points Across America will tell you their intentions, which are anything but innocent, however they are good at manipulating and you are likely to let them into your home and buy from them. I'm very intelligent and very good at slamming the door in people's faces, yet within 10 minutes of meeting this kid, I'd spent 66 dollars on readers digest for a year. Yeah.
Pretty immediately after he left, I filled out the cancellation card, mailed it. A couple days later, I got a letter requesting documentation from the bank that the check had been honored, with nonessential information blacked out. Understandable, and I had it sent out within minutes thanks to the miracle of online banking.
Now the problems. The address that the company uses is used as a mid-point, and it is actually sent to a completely different destination. This makes it nearly impossible to contact the company when you don't recieve your refund in the 10 days they said it would take. So you go online and look up the company, and all you can find are scam warnings, so you think you're screwed. Fortunately for me, it was my week off, so I had plenty of time to hunt them down. After about an hour sifting through complaints posted online, I found a phone number buried in one of the complaints. I called, and...it was a cell number which had been shut down. So another hour, I find another number. I call, and an answer! She even answered as "points across america." So i tell her my problem and she says she's putting me on hold, and...click, hung up. I immediately called back, thinking for sure there was never going to be an answer from this phone again considering everything I had read online. She answers, "Hey Alex, sorry about that!" Further more, she had all my information, check number, check amount, date ordered, date refund requested, and apologized it had taken so long, they had apparently just changed location and banks, something confirmed in another complaint I had read that they constantly change location to make it difficult to track down.
Now I have my refund, and although I'm disappointed in myself for falling for this stupid kid wanting to go see "jugs south of the border, " I have to say this company is real. It isn't a scam, its just poorly ran and intentionally difficult to contact. But for those who are complaining 6 months to a year later that they aren't getting their mags, READ THE FINE PRINT! It does state it'll take 6-18 months to start recieving magazines. Letting these people into your home requires a professional scam buster, but if you buy and regret, you have a short amount of time to react. SEND IN THE CANCELLATION CARD IMMEDIATELY! Be prepared to have documentation from your bank that the check was honored. Send that in immediately, and if you don't get your refund check in 10 business days, the number I ended up getting in contact with them at is [protected].

Comments

Je
  2nd of Mar, 2010

thanks for the info but i tried that phone number on 3/2/10 and it was disconnected. does anyone have any new info on this company?

Bf
  10th of Mar, 2010

same here, # not in service, kinda makes you feel stupid, don't it?