Poetry.com / Online scam

1 1 Poetry Plaza Owings Mills, MD 21117Owings Mills, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 410-356-200

Well once i received my 'Collected Whispers' that was supposed to be Immortal Verses. I looked it up online and saw that many other people had received this book to. Apparently, ALL of their poems were published on the first page, and when i looked to see if their poems were in my book, they weren't. I also noticed that there were many 'Collected Whispers' throughout the years. These books are without a doubt a scam, that made me wish i never participated in this free contest. Also, when you enter a poem on this site, you instantly get an offer to buy a 40 dollar plaque. I checked with a poem that said hi and goodbye.

Va

Comments

Am
  4th of Dec, 2008

I WAS ALSO SCAMMED BY POETRY.COM. I ALSO ENTERED THE CONTEST AND WAS INFORMED THAT I WAS PUBLISHED. WHEN I RECEIVED THE BOOK COLLECTED WHISPERS MY POEM WAS ALSO GLUED TO THE BEGINING. THIS IS VERY UPSETTING TO ME THIS WEBSITE SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN. NOW MY POEM IS IN THE HANDS OF A STANGER AND ALL I HAVE IS THIS FAKE ### BOOK.

Kr
  7th of Jan, 2009

This is a scam and my poem was placed on the first page which verified what I thought was a money making process as I received multiple mailings to buy more...and I do not have other poets who have been recognized winners in my book as well.

Wi
  23rd of Jan, 2009

I experienced the same first page deal. Finally I saw online the collected whispers for sale online for less than half of the the price on
poetry.com. Hook, Line, and Sinker I guess. People get ripped often on the web. I think next time I'll have to research any type of contest.

Lo
  19th of Mar, 2009

These people don't even have a phone that works, I called them many times. Does any one knows how to reach them or if they even exist?

Ju
  4th of Jun, 2009

There has to be something we can do about this company. If my poem was only in the book I received, I will have it published by another company. My poem was the first one in the book I received. What they are doing is not making any sense and is not going to help their name any. I also cannot reach them by phone. One of my friends is a lawyer and I am going to have her look into this issue.

Cl
  15th of Aug, 2009

I also experienced the first page deal too! In the book ''Collected Whispers''. Now I don't know if many of you knew
that International Library of Poetry also goes by the alias ''Noble House'', and the criminal mastermind behind it
calls himself ' 'Nigel''. It's the same kind of shady operation like Poetry.com/ International Library of Poetry, and
many other fake ### names. Although they since went out of business in early 2009, I still feel like the rest of you
cheated, I don't think it's too late to file a lawsuit against this Howard Ely fool!!!

Fl
  1st of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I received the book Collected Whispers, to my amazement my poem was in the first page. "Angel on my Shoulder" At first I was so happy that I was published and I am on my way. Then I read that many other poets received their book with their poem in the first page. This makes me wonder. I try to contact this company, but to no avail. Now my treasured work is in the hand of other people. I don't even think it is properly copywrited. I suspect a Scam.

Flo

Am
  20th of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Yeah I sent in my Peom got back all the info, visited the website for years! Now I go on and its gone, I have no idea who has my peom nothing, I am pissed about it. Does anyone know what to do about it? Is there someone I can contact?

Ta
  20th of Dec, 2009

YEAH I SUMBITTED A POEM ON THERE IN HOPES THAT IT WOULD JUST BE ON THE WEB SITE BUT SOON RECIEVED A LETTER SAYING IT WAS GOING TO BE IN THE "WISPERS" COLLECTION THEY NEVER TOLD ME IT WOULD BE ON THE FRONT PAGE BUT I NEVER THOUGHT IT WAS A SCAM UNTILL I TRIED TO FIND THE BOOK AND LOOK UP MY POEM THEM I SEEN ALL THE COMPLAINTS FINDING OUT IT WAS ALL A SCAM. THE NUMBER THAT WAS ON THE LETTER I RECIEVED WAS ON I DONT HAVE THE PAPER NOW BUT I DID TALK TO THEM AND IT IS REALLY UPSETTING TO FIND ALL THIS OUT .

J3
  26th of Jul, 2010

[censor] !! Doesn't surprise me I had the same [censor] happen. I sent them a nasty letter 4 years ago now. I knew it was all [censor]. It pissed me off and now Im even more pissed that my poetry is nolonger in sight. I went through a very dark time after loosing my mother. I threw myself into writting. Poetry .com published my poetry. I was very happy until I realized I had to pay for a "TRUCKIN" plack that I apparently "Won." I searched for a contact number to complain and found none so, instead with the envelope that they sent to publish more poetry I sent them something nasty. At that time I felt better knowing that they got a peice of my mind. Im sure I spoke for all.

Dj
  31st of May, 2011

I Also submitted my favorite poem to this "free contest". They sent the same stupid letter I would be published along with an editors choice award ! and then had the audacity to say if i wanted a copy, that i had to pay for it? when arent the publishers of this so-called-book reaping the benefits already!? I was 16 when this happened so naturally i didnt realize it was a scam, neither did my parents. ): I Cant believe this website is still posted online when its not a legit organization.

Ca
  21st of Jun, 2011

What! I too enter this contest! This is ###! My poem was in the first page in Collected Whispers. and i could not contact anyone as well!! We have been cheated! And i also noticed the site is down. I never thought it was a scam! Its pisses me off knowing someone somewhere has not only my poem but every other innocent person who send it as well. I hope these ### get caught!

Co
  15th of Dec, 2011

How do we all file a class action law suit. Our poems were, in my estimation stolen from us and published for their profit.

Su
  24th of Jun, 2012

DID ANYONE REMEMBER SIGNING ANYTHING AFTER RECEIVING NOTIFICATION OF WINNING AND BEFORE

YOU RECEIVED A COPY OF YOUR BOOK? THE preface states "that rights to individual poems reside in the artists themselves"...meaning what? Can one copyright the poem and it becomes theirs for other puposes and resale. Who has contacted a lawyer about this?

Pe
  24th of May, 2013

I have tried over then over to get back copies I had on this site
I have moved - under circumstance; did not always have internet til now

I have the names and ID#'s