PNY Memory Cards / What a scam and rip-off!

I am being ripped off on a rebate for PNY memory cards. Bought at Best Buy, got my rebate receipt & did the online registering. Received confirmation my e-mail so I threw away the package with barcode. Now I receive a post card saying my rebate registration was denied for some reason & must send all the info in by mail. Attempts to contact by phone & e-mail were met with recordings of phone number not in service & web pages not found, how about that!

Seems like a scam to me now!

Although Best Buy & PNY are probably not directly responsible, they are the ones doing business with the rebate company.

Of course there is no contact information on PNY’s website & although I sent an e-mail to Bes Buy’s customer service, I’m sure it was deleted & ignored.

I will let everyone I know not to buy PNY products & I will buy other brands myself from now on.

What a rip-off!

Leslie H. Knight
Houston, Tx.

Comments

• Bo
      29th of Aug, 2008

PNY's 'lifetime' warranty is so bogus that it is a bad joke. When you contact them for service they first just blow you off and after that they will delete your email mmessages without reading them. NEVER buy a PNY product!

• Wa
      14th of Mar, 2009

I have to say I had the same problems with PNY's so-called "lifetime" warranty. Frankly, I'm amazed they're still in business at all and that someone hasn't filed a class-action lawsuit against them. "Lifetime" for PNY is defined as however long they manufacture the product and feel they want to stand behind it. Period. In fact, they should put "Lifetime Warranty" in quotes just as I have, because it seems more like irony.

A couple of years ago, I had a PNY video card suddenly fail on me after less than 3 years of moderate use. The box and documentation stated that it was covered by a lifetime warranty (not even a *limited* lifetime warranty, mind you), indeed it was one of the main reasons I went with that particular card. Now, I wish I'd done more research, but I'd owned PNY hardware previously and hadn't had any problems. So I was confident in sticking with a brand I *thought* I knew when it came time to upgrade my GPU. When it failed, I contacted PNY about a replacement. I sat there in stunned disbelief as they explained to me the card was "outdated technology" and as they didn't manufacture that particular model anymore the warranty did not apply. In nearly 2 decades of building PCs and dealing with various component manufacturers, that was a first for me. "Outdated technology"? Please... I've owned older socks! To hear them talk, you'd think it was an old ISA bus adapter instead of PCI (and at the time the card failed, PCIe were just starting to appear on the scene). Admittedly the card was no longer cutting edge, but it was hardly "outdated".

One would think it either IS a lifetime warranty, or it IS NOT, as clearly stated on product packaging (without even an asterisk to suggest otherwise). But PNY gets around holding up their end of the contract with a little loophole in their fine print (buried in the documentation inside, which you likely don't even see until after you've bought the thing), which essentially says they offer a lifetime warranty, but can change the terms of it at any time, without notice and as they see fit -- even AFTER you've purchased the product. How convenient for them. Certainly deceptive. Perhaps even criminal. After a couple of weeks of getting absolutely nowhere with their "customer service" department (again, note the use of quotes to indicate irony) I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and found that I wasn't the first to do that, either. Beyond that, there wasn't much else I could do but replace my card and chalk it up to a sour learning experience -- and warn other people against making the same mistake.

As I said, I'm amazed PNY are still in business. They will never again get any business from me or any of my clients through me. Avoid purchasing from PNY; they are unreliable and unethical, to say the least.

• De
      7th of Apr, 2009

I've got a 9800GX2 that has died after 6 months use PNY tell me they're not going to replace it as they no longer make them... how come its still a fairly new tech card...And it's still listed an they're web site as a current model...what's going on... This was the first time I've used PNY and I've always used Inno3D cards before with no problems returning the few that have played up... so I've got a £300 6 month old 9800GX2 paper weight...I wont be buying any PNY products for the rest of my natural born life ...

• Ri
      15th of Mar, 2010

I would never trust PNY with rebate. I bought it at fry's electronic with supposly $20 rebate . I sent in everything and later i received an postcard saying that they don't have my upc barcode. This company is totally a scam on their rebates.

• Ha
      1st of Apr, 2010

Anyone interested in petitioning for a class action lawsuit, go here http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/pnywarrantysuit/

• B2
      7th of May, 2013

I WANTED TO ADD TO THIS BY STATING THAT THERE FLASH DRIVES ARE NOT WHAT THEY SAY A 16 GB FLASH DRIVE IS ONLY 14.3 GIGS A FRAUD BY ANY TERMS THERE 32 GB FLASH DRIVE IS ONLY 22 GIGS PATHITIC AND I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM THEM AGAIN

• Jj
      5th of Feb, 2015

LIFETIME WARRANTY IS A SCAM BY PNY!! My local PC Repair shop upgraded my PC w/ PNY DDR2 RAM and after 3 1/2 years it went bad. I have a receipt HOWEVER its not from an authorized dealer so they wont honor an exchange for what they advertise as a lifetime warranty. This scam warranty has class action written all over it. Something needs to be done!!!

• Ke
      28th of Jun, 2016

Any warranty by PNY is bogus. Purchased three SSD7CL4111-240-RB 240GB SSD drives on 4/3/2014 from Newegg. Box states that the drives have 5-year warranties. Two have failed and are not being covered because I did not register them online. Neither the back of the box or the NewEgg site indicate that the product must be registered with PNY. Why would anyone register online if there is no indication that they should do so? Original purchase receipt should be sufficient to verify ownership and coverage. Attached is a photo of the back of the box. Can anyone find where it indicates that the drive must be registered? They have no legal standing in this case and they are dclining to stand behind their waranty obligations...once again... Looking for a lawyer to start a class action on this one since I am certain there are thousands that have been defrauded in this manner by PNY

It is printed on the back of each box that you have to register, and the warranty is publicly viewable here:

If you did not register any of your drives within the 90 day period it would appear that you are correct that all of your drives are out of warranty.

Bruce
    Technical Support
    800-769-0142

pny

• Ne
      30th of Jun, 2016

Hello, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to contact us. We truly apologize for the negative experience you have had with the drives. I would like to take a look and see what we can do to further assist you with the warranty of the items. Do you mind sending us an email with your order information at wecare@newegg.com. I'll be more than happy to investigate further for you.
    -Isaac [Newegg Support]