Plumbing / rip off pricing

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

i had an emergency water break in my front yard, after arriving home from work seeing the front yard flooded, i called a few companies and found John Moore open. A plumber arrived a couple hours later, but in the mean time no one there on the phone could tell me how to shut my water off (single woman sorry) my neighbor came over and did that.

The plumber who looked like a zombie, was covered head to toe in mud, looking like he hadn't eaten or slept in a week, without removing a tool or shovel, took one look at my front yard, and advised i would need a new water line. He walked up to the meter and looked at it, came back and wrote me up an estimate of $3985. (and i have a very small front yard, older subdivision style) Frankly i was in stickers shock, and had remembered that my realtor had said the water line had been replaced in the 2 years prior to me buying the house last year. So i sent him on his way, and decided to call another company out in the morning.

Another company came out that was recommended by my neighbor, I'd name it here, but i don't want to look like I'm advertising another company, their man came promptly, dug a couple holes to look at the line and found a coupling near the meter that had blown off. The repair cost me $98 total, service call included. (i asked this plumber what he would charge to replace the line, while not a written estimate, he said less than $900 should cover a line this short)

So draw your own conclusions, personally i feel like they saw an easy mark and would have replaced the water line for a very inflated price had i not decided to look into things..

Ze

Comments

• Yi
      3rd of Jul, 2013

MET Plumbing ...Beware I called them from the Ft. Bend County (Texas) Preferred provider booklet sent to our homes in Ft Bend County Richmond, Texas. They arrived; 2 of them, all I needed was a faucet replaced and I had my own, in the box used only once from when I special ordered a part a Moen faucet. He quoted me $475 + $50 trip charge just to change a faucet and then attempted to question the new in the box faucet I had and tried to say it was too old and not good. I quickly paid $50 and asked them to leave. It cost me $70 to change the faucet and even with the $50 trip charge I still saved hundreds from not using these thieves. JR. Richmond, Texas