Plaza Associates / Scam and cheating

1 370 Seventh Street, Suite 1200CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 212-695-8750

This company is engaging in business practices so corrupt it is difficult to describe. Based on my own disturbing experience with them as well as dozens of citizen complaints documented on the Internet, I can't see how they will be in business too much longer. Several State & Federal agencies are becoming aware of the extent of their misconduct.

My experience with them has stretched over several months. They have been aggressive in their attempts to contact an individual I've never even heard of. I have initiated telephone calls to the company in an effort to clear the situation up & to request a stop to their continuous calls to my home. To date, the company has blatantly ignored my requests and failed completely in rectifying the matter.

I have filed formal complaints against this company with the BBB. More complaints are in the works.
By observing the number of victims prior to me, I can say unequivocally that this particular company simply does not care if complaints are filed against them. I gather from their dismal reputation that the company is collectively lacking a conscience and isn't fazed with operating outside regulations. Each person must become willing to 'up the ante' as it were, and begin suing the company and its officers. To do otherwise will only result in a lot of angry people lodging ineffective complaints.

ROR is a tremendous asset, but more action must be taken after posting a complaint against companies like Plaza Associates.

Va

Comments

• Fe
      29th of Jul, 2010

Someone ELSE used my home phone to return a call to Plaza Associates, and now Plaza won't stop calling me!?!? THEY SUCK

• Fa
      15th of Dec, 2010

I sent this complaint to the FTC in Dec of 2010. We'll see what comes of it.

I have terminal stage 4 cancer. I'm very tired and this company has a computer that calls my cell phone and no one is on the other end. When I returned the call to that number (866) 837-4889, someone who said her name was Miss Jones answered. I asked what company this was and she said Plaza Associates. I asked what type of company this is, she said "financial institution". She asked for my number but Ive read they will just call you more if you give it to them so instead of answering, I asked who they work for and why would they continue to call me every day 2-3 times a day & when I answer, they just hang up. She said "Mam, I don't have time for this, don't call here again" laughed and hung up on me.

I called back and someone who calls herself Miss Barrot answered and when I asked who Miss Jones is, she said, "I don't know of any Miss Jones that works here". Ms. Barrott said she will delte my number from their list and that I won't be recieving calls anymore. I had this same conversation a month ago with someone by the name of Miss Jones. When I told her that she said "well I'll make sure I delete it this time".

They said they were calling for a ********************. I checked and it is a male who used to have my number more many years ago. I even tracked down another number for ********** and gave it to Plaza Associates when I called them the first time (a couple of months ago). I have nothing to do with this man. How do I make them go away? I'm sick and them waking me at all hours or when I'm napping is making me more sick by messing with my immune system even more.

• Rj
      13th of Jan, 2011
    Plaza Associates - unwanted phone calls
    plaza associates
    Mesa
    Arizona
    Phone: 800-301-7317

plaza associates keeps calling our home in mesa, arizona & leaving messages for a 'robert campbell', trying to collect a debt they say. well this home in arizona is our winter home & my husband (whose name happens to be robert campbell) and I are canadian citizens - with no connection to the person whom they are trying to reach or to the debt they say they are trying to collect. they just wont stop phoning. do we need to get a lawyer to make them stop? it has gotten more than annoying. John & Donalda Campbell

• Ri
      14th of Jan, 2011

try contacting your State Government's consumer affairs div
    try writng to better biz bureau
    call plaza [censor]. directly 212 947 7233 / 800 535 1303 / 866 226 3314
    write: 370 seventh avenue. NY.NY 10001-3900

• Wi
      26th of Feb, 2011

I just recieved a paper in my mail informing me that I owe $870.00 to them. I'm 21 years old, and the only thing I have or have ever had in my name is my home. My car isn't even in my name. They are saying I owe Capital One this money. I've never had a credit card, and have never had a bank account. I'm not really understanding this, so I sent them an email trying to get them to respond to me. It seems horribly fishy. If Capital One was really trying to contact me to retrieve money that I 'supposively owe', I'm pretty sure they would contact me themselves. They are a business, not someones child company.

• Dc
      17th of Mar, 2011

I have had phone calls from Plaza Associates off and on. When you call them back up, they mention getting my phone number from the person they want to collect money from. Of what I can understand about collection agencies, most all the people working there must be idiots. Why would they believe a dead beat would give them the right phone number.

• Dc
      17th of Mar, 2011

I have had phone calls from Plaza Associates off and on over a long time. When I call them back, they mention getting my phone number from the person they want to collect money from. Of what I can understand about collection agencies, most all the people working there must be idiots. Why would they believe a dead beat would give them the right phone number.

• Ju
      2nd of May, 2011

Had the same problem with Plaza Associates regarding a debt that wasn't mine. I asked them to send proof of this debt via the mail, and never got anything but repeated calls, often several a day. I told them that what they were doing was harassment and illegal, and they didn't care. I am now faxing them a "cease and desist " letter, which is what I recommend anyone do who is getting repeated calls from these ###s. The important thing is to not talk to them on the phone or acknowledge the debt that they're claiming you have. If you do owe the money, try to settle it directly with the company you owe the money to. NEVER RESPOND TO DEBT COLLECTORS. Cease and desist templates are on line and free. They can be faxed or sent certified mail and are absolutely effective. They are not allowed to contact you after receiving the letter- you can sue them if they do. I would also suggest that anyone who is contacted by Plaza to file a complaint with the FTC. This company is a scam and are in the habit of attempting collection on debts that are non-existant or where they have misinformation and call the wrong number. I don't understand why they are still in business!

• Ca
      7th of Jul, 2011

I just received a call from Plaza Associates asking me if I was in fact Mrs… ….. . She then proceeded to tell me she needed to verify the last four digits of my SSN. Are you serious! I would not give this to her so she then asked if I would verify my birthdate. Long story short, I hung up on her and shortly thereafter received another call from a different person asking for the same information. Who are these people and are there idiots out there that really give people they don't know this information. Does anyone know what can be done to stop this?

• Ha
      16th of Aug, 2011

With all due respect to everyone who has responded, if you simply listen to what they are saying and answer the questions you will see better results. I dealt with Plaza Associates a few months ago and it was the best experience I have ever had with a collections agency. To the person who said, "Never respond to debt collectors." Why not? If you owe money and you signed a contract to pay that money then you should pay it. If you don't owe the debt then you can dispute it but either way you have to deal with them to get it resolved. Plaza Associates are not debt buyers - they are a 3rd party collections agency that works directly with the company you owe. Avoiding speakng with them does not solve anything and will only prolong the inevitable. I don't know about everyone else but I do not want to leave behind a legacy of debt when i'm gone. You are always going to deal with aggressive collectors - these people are simply doing a job just like the rest of us and it is best to try to resolve the issue amicably rather than with anger, resentment, or avoidance.

Furthermore, for the person questioning who would give personal information like this over the phone please tell that to the FDCPA b/c it is against the law for collectors to say they are calling about a debt or give any information to us if they do not know for sure that they are speaking with the correct consumer. Yes, it sucks that we have to give that information but obviously they already have it in front of them and there is nothing that a con artist or scammer can do with only the last 4 of our social.

• Ba
      9th of Apr, 2012

Okay for those who are going through financial hardship and are receiving harassing calls all throughout the day, I feel your frustration completely. I have received 2 or 3 calls a day for collection on a debt as well. I agree that if someone is calling you asking for personal identification information, you should ask what the companies name is, the name of the person on the phone, ask for their business license number, if they are licensed to collect a debt in your state that you reside in, and tell them to not call any more and that you will be contacting the company by mail yourself and then hang up. I had a horrible person call and treat me like garbage, yet they did not have proof that the debt was mine at all, all they could say was that I supposedly owed it. So what I did was send a letter of cease and desist any further contact by phone and in that letter I also requested all of there companies information that I said to ask for before along with requesting proof that they owned this debt, and requested full validation of the debt in detail. If I supposedly owe a debt that I know for a fact that I do not owe, I am gonna make sure that they can provide full proof of it. So I sent this certified mail with return receipt and low and behold about 3 weeks later, I receive a new collection letter from a new collection agency. So they couldn't prove the debt was indeed valid so they resold to another company, and so now I am going through the whole process again. They stopped calling after that and the new one has not called either. So people who say don't dodge a debt in this particular case is ridiculous because if the debt is not yours in the first place than why shouldn't you put up a fight with collectors and harassment. If you send them a cease to desist letter via certified mail with the return receipt you will have proof that they received that letter and then you will have proof that they are violating FCRA rights and you can sue them for this. Oh and you know how they start off on the phone saying this call is being recorded blah blah blah, well if they are being rude and using profanity then I also suggest that you get a voice recorded, most new cell phones have a camcorder on them so you can record the whole conversation of their arrogant attitude so that there is one more way of proving that they have violated your rights and are on grounds to be sued especially if you do choose to take the harassment suit to court. I know collectors are supposedly just doing their job, but if they are actually going to attempt to do their job then I think it is only right that they try to collect on the right person that owes the debt, which means for them to get their records right, not sit on their thumbs and harass innocent people who just wound up with the wrong phone number. Even if you do owe the debt, the cease to desist letter will still work because even if you default on a debt, you still have the same rights as someone who is a victim of identity theft and so on. That is why the FCRA is there, so make sure your practice your rights. The FCRA gives you a voice to fight against those horrible people who call themselves debt collectors. Good luck and I hope that all turns out well for you.