PlayPhone / Fraudulent activity

United States Review updated:
It seems that if you take an IQ test on the internet, it ends up that it enrolls you in a monthly service on Play Phone for $9.99 per month. Evidently, it takes virtually nothing to enroll but to get a refund requires copies of phone bills etc. all of which will take months to reverse.

Users beware of giving your cell phone out over the internet for 'free' results or you too could be ripped off by such a scam.

D  14th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Hello Nicolas,

Thank you for sharing your concerns on this board. Our customer’s feedback is very important to us, as this helps us provide a better service to our customers. While PlayPhone is not the provider of the quiz, you may be presented with one of the many entertainment offers upon completion of the quiz. If you are presented with the PlayPhone offer, you can join PlayPhone and obtain your results or you can view your results by clicking on the "Get Results" link. Participating in the offer is not required to obtain your results. The PlayPhone offer consists of a gaming plan that allows you to download your choice of the hottest game titles.

We have ensured that the terms and conditions of the offer are visible on this page. PlayPhone diligently adheres to the double opt in process. This is a process which requires a subscriber to use a password which is sent to the requesting device. Before your subscription can beging you are again presented with the offer terms, are required to enter the secret password, and check a box agreeing to the terms and conditions. This process ensures that only the device holder can join the service and that you are aware of the terms & conditions before subscription can begin.

We would like to ensure that your concerns and request is addressed diligently and promptly and assure you that this will not take weeks to resolve. Please contact us directly by sending email to customercare@allpp.com or calling 866-853-9793. Our agents will gladly address any further concerns or questitons you may have

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to hearing from you soon.

PlayPhone Customer Care
A  23rd of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I received a $14.99 per month subscription charge on my AT&T bill after having completed the IQ Test. I called AT&T, and they removed that charge, along with a 2nd $9.99 monthly charge from m-Qube, without question. Other than giving my cell phone number (which I will NEVER do again) there was no indication to me that I was signing up for any charges. I have no idea whatsoever these services even provide. I use my cell phone for nothing but phone calls... no texting, ringtones, games, mail...nothing but phone calls. I need to mention that after AT&T removed these charges on Monday, April 20th I received another text message from m-Qube today April 23rd.

Dave Simmons
A  25th of Apr, 2009 by
I had a similar situation... charges from Playphone and m-Qube that I knew nothing about but had some tie-in with using applications accessed via Facebook. AT&T representative has put a free blocker on my cellphone for any download purchases. It requires a password which AT&T provided before any download purchase is finalized. I just had this done so I hope it works.

Any application that asks to access your Facebook profile to "analyze" your personality etc is getting your cell number if it is in your profile. Maybe you should remove your cell number from your profile.
A  27th of Apr, 2009 by
I discovered a similar situation on my account as well. I called AT&T and had the charges HOPEFULLY removed. I say HOPEFULLY because PlayPhone has to agree to "refund" the charges to AT&T who will pass them on to me as a credit on a future bill. Mr. PlayPhone Customer Service Rep above - I do not dis-agree with what you are saying regarding your "policy". However, you utilize deceptive practices to lure unwitting consumers into paying for a subscription to your service. Why would I want to pay $14.99 a month for a text answer to a question when (a) I have unlimited texting and (2) IQ tests on the web are bogus and I know I'm smart anyway. Stupid, I can't believe I actually got caught in this one.

I too have put the free blocker on my account. I did notice that this is part of the "parental controls" which typically cost $5/mo. So I'm going to double-check that I'm not being billed extra.

Also, word of note: Shame on you AT&T. My monthly agreement is to pay YOU, not some third party that you shook hands with and you let cram their charges into my bill. This is bad business. I work really hard for my money and my money belongs in my pocket not PlayPhone's pocket. Shame on you BOTH. Get your hand out of my pocket!!!
D  4th of May, 2009 by
I discovered outrageous charges on my ATT bill. One from playphone and two others from m-Qube Inc. It took me a few minutes to realize I'd been ripped-off by taking IQ quizzes on facebook. By giving out my cell phone number. How can someone who is smart be so stupid? I want a refund and to stop all "sevices" as of yesterday.

This is a scam for the unwary. Taking quizzes on facebook should be fun and free, but now I have to be on the look-out for predators. I cringe everytime I see the IQ quiz flashing on my facebook page.

Thanks a lot playphone and m-Qube Inc. This has been emotionally stressful, since you do not make it easy to undo this whole mess.

It was interesting that when I tried to email playphone at refunds@playphone.com, there was no such email address.

It's sad, that I, a grown woman, have to use "parental controls" on my cell phone.

Shame on you people!
A  6th of Jul, 2009 by
I am living exactly the same situation... after passing the "IQ test" ... what a way of getting people to pay...
I tried to cancel thru my cell phone supplier (Telus, in Canada), but I have to get thru playphone... my account doesn't exist there ! So, a kind of a "cul-de-sac"...
Never give your cell number to any "offers" !!!
N  28th of Jul, 2010 by
found charges for playphone on my t-mobile bill for my young daughters phone billing 19.95 a month
for what we have no idea this company from what I can tell from internet searches scams children on
facebook or wherever and then places fraudulant charges hoping you dont notice then the phone carrier
acts like they have no clue what is going on and offers a partial credit after an hour or two with customer
service just wish a smart lawyer would notice and file a class action suit against these con artists.
A  3rd of Aug, 2010 by
I just realized the charge on my ATT bill and I hope to have all the charges reversed!!! I signed up for 1 quiz on Facebook - and I don't remember any opting in!!!
N  20th of Sep, 2011 by

PlayPhone - Unauthorized charges

Found a mystery charge listed as "Playphone - 99555_PlayphoneSubs1 -08/16" on my mobile phone. I got wireless provider to block this company and reverse the charges but how can Playphone get away with this?
N  17th of Feb, 2012 by
They charged me $15.00, and I never authorized this! Is there a way to get my money back?
N  8th of Jul, 2016 by
Okay, so here is my story, my kid downloaded an app from Apple Store that I was charge for. I called Apple got it resolved and block my kids account or phone from ever making any more purchases from apps that require them to pay for the apps or monthly charges. Today (July 8, 2016) I got a message on my email about my kids phone making a purchases that should not be possible anymore that has a recurring charges of $9.99. Guess what the name of the company is Playphone. Now, here is a FYI for those of you who think that just because Apple block it doesn't mean Sprint did. I just talked to sprint right now. They will get my refund and also block it off on their end too not just on Apple's end. Now, both of my kids phone are block from both Sprint and Apple's end from ever making anymore purchases. Let's see what will happen. Talk to your Sprint or provider about blocking kids account from making unknown purchases or should I say third-party purchases.