Plato's Closet / really? my clothes are far better than those on your racks.

1 Syracuse, NY, United States Review updated:

Today I made the 30 min drive out to the "local" Plato's Closet, hoping to sell some of my clothes. This was the 2nd time I attempted to sell my clothes there. The first, they bought 6 items, Old Navy shirts that were nothing special and 2 pairs of jeans. I got a total of $25.50.

I tried my luck again today. I dropped off 3 large bags of clothing, all purchased within the past year and still in good or even brand new condition. They rudely told me it would take at least 3 hours. To pass the time I decided to scour the racks until I found the clothes that I had sold weeks earlier. I found my 4 Old Navy shirts, all priced at $8, my pair of American Eagle jeans, priced at $25, and my designer pair of Earl jeans priced at $40. They were selling my clothes for almost $100 when they only gave me $25 for them.

As they carelessly trashed through my clothes I could hear them criticizing almost every item and complaining (and openly swearing) endlessly of how they hated going through peoples clothes. Now, I'm not quite sure but isn't that kinda sorta what you signed up for? Two girls went back and forth saying things like, "Eh, I wouldn't wear this so we're not gonna pay for it." and, "I feel like no one would buy this, the color is ugly." Sorry for maybe sounding stuck up but, when I bring in 3 bags full of mainly Express, New York and Company, Hollister, American Eagle and Victorias Secret, half still sporting their original price tags, and they don't buy them...thats ridiculous.

I ended up walking out with $4, earned from selling one pair of PacSun jeans.

They told me they didn't take my other clothes because of their condition. I'm not quite sure how the condition can be bad on new clothes with price tags.

My stuff was way better then what they had on their racks. Maybe they should try hiring people with fashion sense and manners.

Comments

• Wr
      23rd of May, 2011

Some of the original post sounds plausible and some ridiculous (like the markking up of what they bought from her the last time - imagine that!).
    I have been to Plato's in Syracuse while at school and here at home in GA. It is a great place for what they do - provide a better option than consignment.
    Did you ask to speak to a manager?? Personally, I like to confront situations like this directly before lodging complaints on the web. Usually management cares enough to make some effort to make customers happy no matter what kkind of business you are visiting.

• Fr
      26th of May, 2011

I agree with this person's complaint...I UNDERSTAND the buisness and tacticts of price margins and profit and such...thats not the issue. HOWEVER...the issue is that I agree with the point "my stuff is better than what you have on your racks" AND the attitude of the people who work there. I went to my local Plato's closet yesterday in ORANGE, CT...my 11yr old sis wanted to go and I brought a bag of things that dont fit me...as Ive lost weight...and figured I'd give it a shot. Ive worked in a similar consignment shop so I know what it's like and all my things were freshly washed...or new with tags...and even ironed!!! Of course they took all my really nice and expensive items (7 items)...gave me 20 bucks back...not the issue. HOWEVER...the things they did NOT take really shocked me and so I had asked "why?". The clueless lady behind the register started spouting off this almost rehearsed speach..."the items were old, styles or tags out-dated, and the brands weren't all that popular" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! There were 2 button downs from AE, hoodie from AE, tshirt from A&F, bag from the gap, ked's sneaks (never worn) and are very popular right not, Nine West heals and converse sneaker flats...and a couple of belts. I work retail and I KNOW and have a sense for fashion...there's no reason for this UN-fashion savy RUDE lady to tell me their out-dated styles and arent decent brands. I was completely embarassed as she wasnt quiet either and even went further to say, rudely "just because there's a tag on it doesnt mean that its NEW". If it wasnt for my 11yr old sister...whome I promised to take shopping there, I would have walked out! I mentioned to them that it just did not make any sense because as I was walking around shopping...there were MANY items that were out-dated and well past its "gently used" mark. I did end up walking out with a pair of panent leather heals for myself...and come to find out there was a mark on the toe that I hadnt noticed in the store!!! Like I said I understand the buisness as Ive worked in a consignment shop before...but to be totally humiliated and ripped off in a way of TIME, ENERGY, and GAS...Im extremely dis-pleased. If the items were not good...its whatever...dont humiliate me!!! Their not getting my buisness...and I will continue to give my clothes to charity.

• Po
      26th of May, 2011

Frenchie, if you think your clothing is worth so much then sell it on Ebay or Amazon or Craigslist.

• Lu
      9th of Jun, 2012

These comments are completely on point. I brought in items purchased within the past year. Leather boots, leather purse, both trendy/current, express jeans, Lucky Jeans, Joe's Jeans, and I can't tell you what else that are still very current. Three bags of very upscale stuff (all in sizes 4-8 by the way) . I hated to sell them but I have so much! Anyway, it's like the girls at the store had no clue what's in style -- they offered $40.00 for $900.00 worth of stuff claiming "well the computer gives the pricing"!!! OMG WHAT A RIP OFF THIS PLACE IS!! DON"T SELL TO THEM. Keep your dignity. Don't sell there. They are either clueless or thieves!!!

• Lu
      9th of Jun, 2012

WoW! I can't even tell you how true all of this is!! My experience exactly!!! WHAT A CRIME SCENE PLATO'S CLOSET IS!!!

• Wh
      1st of Nov, 2012

then don't go there. period.