Plato's Closet / ridiculous demands!

1 Appleton, WI, United States Review updated:

I will never ever go here again. I warn you all not to as well. A few years ago they only offered me three dollars, yes I know it's hard to believe but three dollars for a bunch of quality clothing. I told them i'd rather just donate it and took it back. Today I went there as I am desperate for some cash. I had a bunch of jeans folded in a paper grocery bag. The girl told me she would "love to look over" my items but "they need to be in a laundry basket or box." are you serious? I live on the other side of town, no way in hell I was going to drive back home and bring my own laundry basket to this filth of a store. I can't believe they can't look over clothes because they're in a bag. There is nothing on the website stating this rule. What's the big deal? I know for a fact a couple of years ago I brought my clothes in a paper bag. Don't waste your time folks. Rude people, bad deals. Two dollars for a really nice pair of jeans my #. Stay away. I hope they go out of business.

Comments

• Ye
      19th of Jan, 2011

OMG! I use to work for one and never once was I told that clothes had to be in a basket or box. we got clothes in bags, even trash bags, WTF? maybe the girl was new or stupid. Yeah it sucked telling people that let say...they bring in a dior purse we can only offer $10 for it, when most people paid $100 or more for it . The only reason I can think of is why they offer low money for things is that they have so much of that stuff and they don't have room, I was told once that we had too many tank tops, don't take anymore. So I'm sorry that they offer such crappy money for things. Glad I don't work there anymore the people I worked with were snobby as hell.

• Mi
      22nd of Dec, 2013

OMG, NEVER AGAIN.I CALLED THEM TO SEE IF THE WERE STILL EXCEPTING CLOTHING STILL, AND SHE SAID YES THEY WERE.SO I MADE SURE THAT THEY WERE ALL WASHED AND PUT IN BOXES.I HAD 100 ACTICLES OF CLOTHES WITH THE BRANDS THEY HAVE ON THEIR WEB SITE, WHICH INCLUDED PANTS, DRESS AND JEANS, T-SHIRTS, LONG SLEEVE DRESS SHIRTS, HOODIES AND JACKETS ALSO VICTORIA SECRET.I PUT $30 IN FOR GAS AND DROVE 40 MILES ONE WAY.IT WAS 4 DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS, NEEDED MONEY FOR THE HOLIDAYS, I THOUGHT EVEN IF THEY GAVE ME A $1.00 FOR EACH I WOULD BE HAPPY.I BROUGHT THE 4 BOXES IN AND SIGNED THIER PAPERWORK AND SAID IT WOULD BE HALF AND HOUR AND THEN GIVE ME MY CASH.WHEN I RETURNED SHE GRABBED HER BASKET AND ALL THAT WAS IN THAT WAS 5 CLOTHES AND OFFERED ME $8.00.I WAS IN HORRIED SHOCK, I SAID WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE OTHER 95 PIECES OF CLOTHES, HER RESPONSE WAS NOTHING I HAD ALL THE BRANDS THEY WERE LOOKING FOR BUT THAT THEY WERE OUT DATED.COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT.SHE SAID I COULD DONATE THE REST, WHAT SO THEY COULD PUT THEM FOR SALE ONCE I LEAVE.I TOOK THE BOXES HOME AND TOOK THE $8.00 DOLLARS TOO.THEY WERE YOUNG GIRLS APPERANTLY WITH NO SENSE OF STYLE.I WILL PASS THE WORD ON TO EVERYONE I KNOW AND THEN SOME.NEVER EVER AGAIN.WHAT HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.I EVEN CRIED ALITTLE ON MY 40 MILES BACK HOME.THANKS FOR MAKING MY HOLDAY SUCK MORE THEN IT ALREADY DOES.

11th of Feb, 2016

I have sold clothes multiple times here. Every time I've had a great experience! They ask that items come in laundry baskets or containers because bags rip and can easily spill. I've been there on a Saturday when there's tons of people selling. I understand how if a bag (s) ripped, items could easily be misplaced. Also, one of the girls explained to me how they determine if they are giving away cash or store credit. Each day they start off with a certain amount of cash. If they get a lot of people selling clothes, they run out of money and have to offer store credit. Which only makes sense. If there are no customers putting money into their cash registers...how can they continue to give it out?! The girls that work there are younger, but they are very friendly! I work at an office, so sometimes when I sell clothes they tell me they are too dressy. In which case, I just take my clothes over to clothes mentor. Clothes mentor takes in dressier clothes. I really love Plato's closet and clothes mentor. I think they get a lot of grief but are good at what they do!