Platinum ProtectionFraud and cheating

1 Review updated:

I and one of my close friends both worked for this company. I have seen everything they do, from the sales side, to customer service, to the collections and technical part of it. There are a lot of good people who are just trying to do their jobs there. Sadly I have seen many a customer service or collections person trying to get a contract nulled or money refunded that was owed them, only to have their supervisor tell them that they aren't allowed.

I know of a 16 year old who signed her mothers name, because a rep told her it was ok. I know of many people who were lied to by their reps, but it was never resolved. Beware what you sign and what your promised, because if it's not on the contract, they won't help you.

Ge

Comments

•   Sep 19, 2008
    Platinum Protection - Terrible experience
    platinumprotect.com

Back in Sept of 2017, a Platinum Protection sales rep had come out to our house. They were giving Free Wireless Alarms away with a 2 year contract of service. They told me how much better their alarm was over my working existing alarm. I agreed to the new Alarm and service. 30 min after signing the contract a gentleman came to install the alarm. Upon the install, he was having some issues with Zone 04, my garage door. After messing with it for 20 min, it finally took. He then did a test and all WAS well.

About 30 min after he left, my phone rang and upon the ringing, we could here it ring over the alarm loud speaker at the keypad. I called Platinum back and told them the problem. The person I spoke to told me that there was probably a wire crossed and that the Tech will come back and take a look. He never showed. I called back the next day (Sunday) and they told me someone from service would call me somewhere between Mon - Wed. Nobody called. I called again and they told me that service was busy and that they could not take my call, but they will call me within 3 days. Again, no call.

About 3 weeks of that went by then the Alarm through a Fault Code 04. My garage door again. The alarm will not arm or chime. It has an error. I called Platinum back and told them about the ringing and now my new problem. They assured me that I would not be billed until the problem is fixed. Again, no-one called or came out to fix the issue.

At this point I gave up. I was upset. After a few months, I received a letter that Montronics (sister comp) was taking over the service. I called them and told them about the alarm. They told me that the alarm was being monitored and that they did not see anything. Funny, because I cant arm the house. The problem is on my end not their end. They did not or would not send anyone out. So, when their bill came I threw it in the trash. Called them again and told them the problem. Again they told me no problem was found. Yet I am looking at the errors. I told them about Platinum and that no one came out to fix and I was not going to be charged until the problem is fixed. They agreed to look into it.

2 months later, (They were not returning my calls) they turned the contract back over to Platinum Prot. I spoke to them, and they told me that they would credit those months, fix my alarm and apologized for the inconvenience. 3 days later, service called and stated that they could not come out and fix the alarm until the account was brought current. Again, I had to talk to 6 differ people there and all they did was keep transferring me.

Now they have hired an Attorney to collect a debt for a service not provided I contacted the BBB and filed a complaint. Platinum replied by stating, "He did not tell us about the alarm issues until February 2017 during a collection call. All he is trying to do is get out of his contract."

That's funny, because I never asked to be removed from the contract, I was demanding a credit or a new contract.

So now the court games will start.

Dec 24, 2008

Over a year ago, I got scammed by a door-to-door salesman, telling me he wanted to upgrade my 'Brinks' system w/this new Honeywell Equipment, and it's free, all I had to do was display their sign in my front yard. Since I was currently thinking about upgrading my Brinks System, and after he assured me it was all the same. Well, yea, I got scammed.

To make a long story short, this d*mn system never worked! I kept calling & calling, nothing! Finally I would just set the alarm off, thinking okay someone would call me, right, nope. Well at this point I just figured, I have been scammed. I honestly thought they just wanted to know my house whenever they want. (see for several months I continued to pay Brinks thinking they were, as he said, one of the same).

Since I was getting no where w/there so-called customer service, I would actually set the alarm, thinking okay, they will call now. Nope. Oh yea, BTW the whole time, not a single bill. So I was really concerned. In May of 2017, I pay Brinks to come back out, re-install my system, pay some fee to have it re-installed. Kept calling this Platinum Protection, to come get their crap out of my house, nothing.

Like I said, since 2017 not a single bill. Brinks re-installed in May of 2017, might I add, they had the County come out and permit the alarm system, unlike the other folks. Get this, Sept 2017 & October 2017, Platinum Protection starts withdrawing funds from Checking Account.

Well, I have been going back & forth w/these ppl, explaining everything to them, then they tell my husband that they are going to take 80% of what we owe on the system out of my checking account. I just had to go and close my Checking Account. And then come to find out, I ain't the only one. There are so many complaints against this company.

Please if you have been scammed, or wronged by this company, please we all need to get together and bring a class action suit against them. They can not be allowed to continue to do this... I will surely be looking into this, and will try and email anyone who has been scammed by them.

Just look at this YouTube Video, we are not the only ones... Do a search for this company, and you will see.

Feb 11, 2009
    Platinum Protection - Services & devices not rendered
    580 South State Street
    Orem
    Utah
    Phone: 1.888.50-protect

My story is just about the same as all of these complaints only on my homeowners certificate of protection I have not received all the services that was included with a Five year contract at 49.99... the only device that was installed is a door sensor on the front and back doors in my home and a little box that claims it will sound off when there was glass breaking.. well that doesn't work! when I came home my neighbor came over and told me their son had thrown a football and it came through my dining room window.. they paid for the window replacement and retrived their ball, but the mother told me that no sirens or any idication of a breakin occured all was quitet, I wrote platinum protection a letter requesting that they complete the instalationon the devices that are on my certificate and I will continue to make payments again once all the equipment was installed.
    well I was told that my certificate was wrong, and they had plans on installing anything, I am without a smoke alarm, 1 motion sensor, 2wayvoice? monitoring included fire protection security, panic protection, medical protection, and burglary protection which was installed, today 02/11/09 I received a call from the company and was told that they dicussed it and would come out and install the devices that was not installed if I would pay them the back amount for the months without service.. hello I have filed a complaint with the Licence department in salt lake city and am currently waiting the outcome the complaint was made on March 3rd the same day I had mailed a letter to platinum protection, my request is an easy one to solve install the equipment prove that it does work and I will be more than happy to pay, or cancel my contract pick up the equipment that was installed and the problem is over, very easy fix? DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!
    P.S you will also have to pay a yearly fee to the police, fire department in order for them to respond to a emergency at your home.

• Is
      Jun 21, 2009
    Platinum Protection - Terrible company
    platinumprotect.com

A door to door salesman MCKAY ERICKSON came on Memorial day at 8:30pm to offer us a 'free' security system
    with a nominal monthly fee. He said we have a one week trial period to try out the system and see if it works for us.

When we signed 'the papers to give the techs permission to put the system in your home' as he stated, he pointed out the '60 month rate guarantee.' He again said we had a one week trial period and if the system doesn't work, he would have it taken out, no questions asked.

The system is not going to work for us and we have extremely high false alarm fines in our county. I called to get it removed. Turns out, it was a 60 month CONTRACT we signed and we only have THREE DAYS to cancel instead of the week he promised us.

I've talked to customer service twice, a supervisor and a manager. I've called Mckay NINE times and he won't return my phone calls! Each time I talk to customer service they give me the run around and say 'there's no one higher in the organization you can talk to.'

The manager, Kaitlyn, said she's the highest in the organization I have access to and she cannot release the information of any of the higher ups. She offered to let me cancel my contract for an 80% termination fee payable in one lump sum or over 3 months. I would have to pay over $2, 000. I told her this is not good enough. She said there's nothing else she can do. I asked again for someone higher in the organization and she said she's it.

I have filed reports with the BBB, FTC, Direct Selling Association and NC Consumer Protection Agency.

Oct 12, 2009
    Platinum Protection - Scam artists
    Pennsylvania

Please do not be scammed by the sales reps form this company. They do not inform you that you will be signing a 5 year contract until a few days after the install when the company calls to verify everything and by then it is to late. If you try to cancel they hit you with a 1800.00 bill. This company is a scam and don't get taken like I was. Also I needed a new bracket for my basement door censor and they informed me that they could not sell me the bracket . I would have to buy the whole sensor wich was outrageously expensive.

• Sc

Illegal business practices.
    Stronge-arm sales tactics.
    Faulty equipment.
    No monitoring.

There are so many of us who have been scammed by this company we should file a class action lawsuit. Anyone interested?

• Ca
      Jan 14, 2010

My husband was also cheated. A sales rep. convinced my 25 year old daughter to sign her father's signature on a contract, of which we knew nothing about, she is living in our second home. They sold the debt to a collection agency and have now distroyed my husband's credit!

• Da
      Feb 01, 2010

The same thing happened to me. The sales person said he wanted to upgrade my ADT system. Platinum did not agree with my charges. I filed a complaint with BBB and they could not do nothing. I had signed a contract for 5 years.
    D. Dickerson
    Georgia

Mar 20, 2010
    Platinum Protection - Taking advantage of People
    Platinum Protection, LLC
    Lewisville
    Texas

What can I say…..I was fooled!!! You can read all of the other complaints and it sums up my experience. However, the customer service department is getting weaker, must be from all of the complaints. They must have HIGH turn-over. I believe the young lady I talked to today started to cry before she put her supervisor on the phone. Heck, he sounded like he was barely out of high school. What a company! And to think I did business with them, I am ashamed. The good news – companies like Platinum Protection or Monitronics do not last long in the business world. This is just the beginning of many, many complaints that will be posted. I just wanted everyone to know that is reading this message board that the SCAM company Monitronics and Platinum Protection, LLC is in Texas…..BEWARE and tell everyone you know. More to come………

Apr 10, 2010

EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEMS . PLATINUM PROTECTION AND MONTRONICS
    ARE LIKE A TWO HEADED MONSTER. SPEAKS FROM TWO HEADS, BUT FROM THE SAME BODY. TO ALL, DON'T TRUST EITHER ITST A LEGAL SCAM.

• Su
      Apr 15, 2010
    Platinum Protection - Stealing from the elderly
    Arizona

A sales representative fraudulently tried to sell, to my widowed Mother who has dementia, a security system and smoke alarm. Her home has "For Sale' signs on it. He tried to charge her $1, 400.00 for a medical alert only system, and they installed a non-working smoke alarm. It was timing and luck that we were able to cancel the contract within three days of her signing it. I want to let as many people as I can know about this, because to me, about the only thing lower than a child molester, is one who would take advantage of the elderly this way.

May 27, 2010

Yes, very interested. E-mail me at [protected]@gmail.com and put in the header something about Platinum Class Action. I have had a bad experience as well, and I hope we can prevent them from doing "business" anymore.

May 27, 2010

Way to go on contacting on those agencies!!! =) Most aren't that willing or able to figure that out. We are in the process of doing the same. I think we should join a class action against them.

• Cr
      Jun 24, 2010
    Platinum Protection - Ran a credit check without my permission
    Virginia Beach
    Virginia

I spoke with the door-to-door salesman about possibly getting a system. He said the company had to make sure I wasn't a wanted criminal before they could do business with me. "Standard Procedure". I did not sign anything or give verbal permission for them to run a credit check on me. I was NOT TOLD that they would run a credit check on me. A "hard" credit check showed up on my credit report from them. I am trying to fix my credit and this is not helping. In the past I have always had to sign something authorizing a company to pull my credit. I didn't even give them verbal permission.

The following is the complaint I submitted to them via their website:

I was seriously considering switching security companies, but when I found out that a hard credit check was pulled without my permission, I have decided not to give you my business.

I take my credit seriously and I deserve to know if you are going to pull my credit or not because of the effects.

I did not sign anything or even read anything stating my credit would be pulled. I spoke with your representative and he told me he was going to check and see if I was "wanted by the police". Of course, I am not wanted by the police, so I had no problem with the check. After seeing the hard credit check, I looked at the paper I was given and noticed fine print that says "*I authorize Platinum Protection, LLC to check my credit". Of course I did not sign or even write anything on this paperwork so how could that statement apply to me? This is ridiculous.

I try not to give my money to companies that are unethical.

I have also filed a complaint on https://www.complaintsboard.com/

• Ka
      Jul 12, 2010

so...has anyone gotten out of their 5 yr agreement. A salesperson told us if we moved we could take it w/us...but now they r wanting to charge us $500+ at the new house to install items. What happens if you just change your checking account, do they sue u or submit your name to the credit bureau?

• Ka
      Jul 12, 2010

were u able to cancel the agreement or did you?

• Mr
      Aug 20, 2010
    Platinum Protection - Questionable sales practices
    Indianapolis
    Indiana
    platinumprotect.com

I chatted with a neighbor who researched the company after having fallen for the sales pitch. Consequently she went through hell to get out of the contract. Here’s what she said:

* They frame it like you are getting a free alarm system
    * Naturally, only 10 people from the neighborhood can get the free deal so you have to decide on the spot
    * In exchange for your “nondisclosure” (i.e. keep your mouth shut about the deal) you have to be willing to serve as a model home that their sales can point to.
    * If you do the math on the 5 year contract you essentially pay for the alarm system in five years ($49 per month for an approx. $2, 000 system)
    * They show you a list of so-called area police officers that have supposedly bought the system.
    * They show you a list of the area neighbors who have bought the system (this is why my neighbor fell for it — she recognized someone on the list)

If that isn’t bad enough, you have ONLY three business days to notify them of cancellation! Get this: They will not let you cancel over the phone. They make it as hard as possible and will only accept faxes or mail. If you do not cancel in time you are locked into the 5 year deal!

You can read my entire blog post about their visit to my neighborhood, here:

Jan 14, 2011

Original Report:
    3/24/08 I came home from work to find two sales men that had already installed a security system in my home that had been aproved by son in law and daughter who lived with me. I was told that the contract was with my son-in law and that he would make the payments, and required a credit card which he did not have at the time, since the system was already on the wall etc.. I had no choice but to give them my bank card number, The Salesmen) then told me since I was the home owner they now needed my signiture approving their system being installed in my home. I signed! my son-in law and and daughter had moved and stoped making the payments and asked me to cancel? not knowing what he signed was a 5 year contract for 48.00!! I was told I could not cancel until I sold my home and transferd or sold this contract to the new home owner, and that I am responsible for this contract for 5 years!! I am on survivors bennifits and work part time just to be able to make ends meet! well today I received a letter from Platinum Protection telling me that emmediate attention is required, I am not protected by the police unless I send them 25.00 to register this alarm service?? so in all reality this is a breach of contract. I need some legal advice because I have been stuck with this sytem by being bullied and pressured into beliving I was signing a property rights authorization and for the last 7 months I have not been protected! I had contacted the Ogden Police Dept and spoke with the person who handles the alarm registration and I was informed that if I had ever had a break in with in the last 7 months, they would not have been called due to the fact that Platinum Knew that the fee had never been paid and that Platinum themselves would have to come here to help me?? to make sure it was not a false alarm?? well my neighbor could have called the police? I am sure that this is a breach of contract as well as misrepresation and fraud! the first paragraph states.. company or contractor upon receipt from customers premises system had been activated IS RESPONSIBLE only for endeavoring (To attempt fulfillment of a responsibility or an obligation, to notfy the police. well without a registration fee of 25.00 they cannot honor this contract which I need to get out of from trickery!! Is there anyone that can help me Please!! Joann Ogden, Utah
    on there web page it actually says!! ask our clients how they feel about Platinum protection! I hope this will lead into a class action lawsuit!! if it does Plese contact me

Jan 14, 2011

2017.. Update I am still currently still receiving letters of a lawsuit from credit companies demanding payment this would be the fourth letter that I responded to..and yet to see the inside of a courtroom? which I was so hoping for!! I respond to their request on that letter of contacting them if there is a dispute on the letter? so I anounce that I am currently in a class action lawsuit and they should research this companies credibility.. I attach all the links to the websites complaints! I also tell them please do not contact on this matter any further, should you get letters from credit companies or letters please respond to the dispute look up the links to the compliants, starting with the BBB... so far there are 467 complaints against this company just with the BBB alone!! Please sign the class action complaint list! Please get this started!!
    we can win this! on their website it says about our service, just ask our clients! well we our warning you of this company! Please be cautious>>>

• Te
      Jan 19, 2011
    Platinum Protection - Bad sales tactics
    Texas

Aggressive and shameless sales tactics. I was not at home when they started talking to my husband. By the time I got there it was too late. They had already told him how 'only the first couple of residents would receive free equipment’. Sales guy purely focused on the free part but never discussed a 60 month contract at $47.99 a month. I admit it was my husband’s fault for signing a contract he didn’t read however failing to mention specific terms and conditions is shady and not a good sales tactic for sustaining a long term relationship with a customer. They were also very aggressive saying if he didn’t sign up right now he wouldn’t get the deal and they came in and installed everything within an hour (including drilling holes in my wall).

• De
      Jan 25, 2011

Thats a great question about changing your account number. I was thinking the same thing because they are full of ###. they will probablly submit you to the credit bureau

• Jm
      Feb 06, 2011

very interested as well email me at [protected]@yahoo.com horrible horrible experience as well willing to do whatever it takes to get these batards

• Pi
      Feb 28, 2011

My wife had got the alarm system with out me knowing about it.
    1. The saleman ran my credit with out me knowning.
    2. The saleman forged my name and signuture to the paper work.
    3. The saleman changed the term of the contact. Instead of 60 month it went to 39 months no party signed the
    changes to the contact.
    4. The paper for my homeowner insurance for my 20 % off. It said he hook up a smoke dectect to the alarm system. In which didn't. A week later after a got home from being gone. I called him about it. That since the we had 2 smoke dectector already we didn't need one, and that the insurance would not know. My insurance company found out. I am in trouble with them. So if my house had burned down I would not of been covered.
    Because the smoke dectector are not hooked up.
    5. They have pulled all the same thing to all of my neighbor. We are getting together, and talk to the media,
    and B.B.B. and geting a lawyer.

• Cp
      Mar 14, 2011
    Platinum Protection - Platinum Protection Scam
    Platinum Protection

Complete total scam. Came into my home, destroyed a wall during installation, then refused to compensate me. When I moved to another country - which is out of their service area and allows me out of the contract - the continued to insist I owed them. After several months I received an email that my account had been canceled, yet, they started sending bills to my sister in the US! When she called them on my behalf, they claimed I had refused to negotiate. So, now, I'm about to let them send this to collection and court because I refuse to be bullied and scammed. I thought I got an alarm service to protect my assets?! Well, they've cost more time and money than any threat of a burglar ever did. Unreal! High pressure sales pitch, ridiculously complex contract, unethical dealings = steer clear. It's a SCAM!

Apr 13, 2011

Jesus...make sure to pull your phone records showing how many times you called them!!

Apr 13, 2011

Contact the better business bureau with the paperwork as well as the credit bureaus. They take unauthorized credit checks very seriously!!

Apr 14, 2011

I would also like to file a class action suit. Where do I sign up?

Apr 14, 2011

I'm in! I contacted my attorney general's office today!

Jun 28, 2011

That is really funny everyone that gets a system from platinum does a pre survey that the rep on the other line tells the home owner "do you understand that the agreement is for an initial term of 39 months" or 60 months depending on the state you live in... so please tell me that the person taking the survey wouldn't understand that now to complete this on the paperwork itself it states 39 or 600 months again no not in fine print but bold letters and to boot the bottom of the agreement in even bigger bold letters it says "notice of cancellation" then when the technician gets there to install the system platinum does a post survey and for having 180, 000+ customers nationwide and only having 466 complaints registered with the better business. I'd say having less than 1/3 of 1% of them having a complaint and for the record all have been resolved is have to say name another company of this size to have that few of complaints and I dare anyone of you to put in any company of a large size in this site and see what you come up with and if you want to know who created the interactive for your phones platinum did with alarm.com enjoy and be safe

Jun 28, 2011

This is funny as well because I'm assuming that you wanted the system but you didn't get approved for it due to bad credit since you said you were fixing your credit. I also want to let everyone know that it is same day installs so by the time you realized other than the form you filled out I'm sure you remember the little card that on it it said authorizing a credit pull. When you were denied do to your lack of ability to pay your previous bills that this upset you but to answer your other comment and this shows how much you know about the credit industry. When you get a letter in the mail saying you have been approved for a credit card guess what they have to inform you they dis this and well that's in the approval as well. Now if you are denied do to lack of your ability to pay back others you have borrowed from guess what they don't send you anything because they don't have too...

• Gr

• Mm
      Nov 15, 2011
    Platinum Protection - Very bad service
    Platinum protection

On may 9. 2017 I guy came to my door .try to talk to me about getting there service ?he said if i sigh up for 5 year you get a better discount, so i did, back on 2017 of June I move, so I try and try to let them know that I move and get them to move my Alar they told me I have to go to my old house and get all the equipment so I told them I can't just because I don't really know the people who buy the house, so know still paying them for a service that I'm not using just because I don't have the equipment, I will never recommend this platinum protection to anybody I think they are nothing but a scam they just want your money, really bad service :

Nov 28, 2011

I was scammed by the same company. Like many others our complaints are about the same. I have called the customer service twice, they are not helpful at all. They said they are not responsible for what their sales people tell us, they just go of what we signed. They said I cannot prove that the salesman lied to me. I am stuck in the 39 month contract or pay 80% of the remaining 37 months. I have filed a complaint with the BBB, consumer rights, and wrote them a written complaint. I will do anything else it takes so that this company does not get away with this anymore. If there is anyway that I can help, please let me know.

Dec 09, 2011

I have also been scammed by this company. My husband and I were lied and misled to and are now stuck in a 39 month contract. The salesman told us we could cancel anytime, which the customer service now informs me is correct, but we have to pay 80% of the monthly payments we still owe. (about $1500.00) I have talked to three different customer service representatives and they all tell me the same thing. " we only go off of the signed contract". I asked to talk to a superviser/manager and he said he will tell me the same thing. I asked to have one contact me and he said he can not promise that one will call me back! Uh ok! This company and its sales reps are all a sham. Everyone that is thinking about going with Platinum Protecion should do some research. I wish I had.

Dec 09, 2011

Scammed by the same company. Shady sales man, lied and misled me and my husband until it was too late to get out of the contract. Told us we could cancel anytime, which I was informed by the customer service (or lack thereof) that we could in fact cancel anytime, but we had to pay 80% of our fees. I was definitely not aware of that when we were told we could cancel anytime. I have tried to resolve this matter with three customer reps from Platinum Protection. The conversation goes no where. All they keep repeating is "we go off the signed contract". I asked to talk to a manager and he said he would tell the same thing and he cannot promise that one will call me back. I hang up very frustrated everytime. I am doing anything I can to warn others about this company so they do not get duped like so many others did.

• Co
      Jan 26, 2012

Thank you so much for your post, I just had a sales rep, German Jackson, at my door 10min. ago. Because he had no contracts on him to read I asked him to leave his number and I would contact him. After reading the post and the appearance of the rep I will not be contacting him back.
    Thanks again,