Planet Fitness Gym Membership / cancellation didnt take place and we were sent to collections

1 FL, United States Review updated:

We went directly to Planet Fitness last year (2008) to cancel our membership and the cancellation paperwork was filled out and then mailed out by a Planet Fitness employee. As of May 2009 ABC Financial had placed us in collections for $394 for charges they say we owed for not canceling our account. This is absolutely untrue. I placed a call to ABC Financial which after calling I found out that they are a very tiny collection agency that is manned by two of the rudest representatives that I have EVER dealt with by the names of Ginger (who claims she is the manager) and Maria (the rudest rep. ever!). After advising Maria of the error on our credit report she advised me that she will not remove it from our credit report and that we have 30 days to pay for their mistake. I then told her I wanted her manager and she immediately hung the phone up on me! I called back and was greeted by Ginger who I then advised that I was hung up on by Maria and this smug woman advised me in return that she TOLD Maria to hang up on me! Unbelievable! So, needless to say, I was furious at this point and requested her supervisor or manager and she told me that there was noone else above her and she hung up on me as well. I furiously called her back and demanded the name of the president and the address for her company and she outright refused that information and then lied and said SHE was the president of that company. When I told her off about being so rude to me she then advised me that she is not in customer service and that they are a collection agency and proceeded to hang up on me again. I'd advise anyone who has a membership at Planet Fitness to make sure you not only keep a copy of your cancellation notice you send, but to also just go ahead and cancel altogether because eventually you WILL be dealing with these worthless losers. Also, anyone who is even THINKING of going to Planet Fitness, turn around as quick as you can and find a more suitable and more worthy gym to spend your money at. I am taking this situation completely to the top.

Kd

Comments

• Pf
      30th of Aug, 2009

You should sue for violations of the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act (FDCPA - Title 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692-1692p). Look specifically at sections 807 and 808 among others. Civil damages for violations are $1, 000 per violation. Also look into violation of your states debt collection laws. It very easy to show that Planet Fitness regularly violates debt collection laws. Ask for court costs, resonable attorneys fees as well as punative damages.

• Pf
      30th of Aug, 2009

Because Planet Fitness is such a deceitful and devious company, they make it very difficult to contact the corporate office to resolve customer issues. You are left dealing with a child at the front desk that states they can do nothing. Once they have your credit card number or checking account, they ‘freely’ take your money by creating charges that you are unaware of. First, make sure that you send any and all letters to PF certified mail. That will provide the proof you need in court to show that you cancelled your membership or contacted them. Second, close your checking or credit card so these shysters can no longer get at your money.

When the debt collection calls begin, you should consider suing for violations of the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act (FDCPA - Title 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692-1692p). Look specifically at sections 807 and 808 among others. Civil damages for violations are $1, 000 per violation. Also look into violations of your states debt collection laws. Keep a copy of all correspondence and phone calls. It is very easy to show that Planet Fitness regularly violates debt collection laws. In your motion be sure to ask for court costs, reasonable attorneys’ fees as well as any punitive damages the law will allow.

Additionally you may want to sue for breach of contract. As is evident by the numerous other complaints against PF online, they will ‘fabricate’ rules infractions that supposedly you committed. Make sure that you document any such claims with dates and times as well as witness names, contact information and statements so that you can clearly refute their fabrications. PF clearly wants to avoid any responsibility they may have under your membership contract by swiftly cancelling your membership and ‘claiming’ you broke the rules.

I have contacted an attorney and fully intend to prosecute this to the fullest extent of the law. PF needs a good thrashing in court! Good luck getting anywhere with these thugs outside of the courtroom!