Planet Fitness / continue to deduct money after cancellation letter

First of all, when my girlfriend joined this gym 3 years ago, I went to Virgin because it was cleaner and has better equipment. I had trouble two years back when my girlfriend fell ill. She recieved a letter from the doctor saying she can't do any exercise anymore. When we went to the gym to try cancel the contract they said that even though the had a back condition and they could see she couldn't use the equipment she could still float around in the pool so they would not allow us to cancel the contract.

I then complained on hello peter they contacted me telling me that they have a clause in the contract saying that they do not cancel contracts for any medical conditions and if we want we can sell the contract (which nobody wants to buy)

So anyway, I've paid R6000 over two years for a contract she can't use, it came to the end of the contract, we wrote a letter of cancellation which they told us to do, dropped it off, and as I suspected they say they have lost the letter and continue to debit her account!!!

I'm not surprised, I expected this from you guys.

Comments

• Pe
      28th of Oct, 2011

when you sign a contract for a year, if you do not resign than you should be done with the contract and no more money should be taken from your bank account. It to me is theft and as long as we let them do it they will keep up the unfair practice of stealing your money. I am getting in touch with our state attorney and I think everyone who is being victimized by Planet Fitness should do the same. PI

• Kw
      9th of Dec, 2011

My girlfriend and I signed up and were going to Planet for 6 months at the Glen Burnie location in Maryland. The place is in ok shape but could be kept cleaner and needs some maintenance on the machines. There were at least 6 machines out of order for two months. Not sure if they were waiting for parts.

Problem is,

Our relationship ended and I did not want to keep bumping into my ex-gf so I went in to the Planet counter person and told him I wanted to cancel my membership. He was busy on the phone. I told him I could wait until he was finished. He handed me a pen and paper then told me to put my name, address and phone number down. I did this and he said he would take care of it.

Three months went by and the bills kept coming. I thought it just took a few cycles for them to stop the billing. I called them about it but they said I had to go online and send "Corporate" my complaint about the bills that kept coming. I sent a few emails and eventually I received a phone call telling me that they had no info stating that I had cancelled my membership and that I would have to pay the entire amount. I told them that it was not my fault and that I refused to pay it.

Well, in another month I received a pink notice that was from a collection agency. Now the bill was up to $120.00 plus other fees.

I contacted them and I told them I had no intention to pay for it and why. They said it was already put against my credit report. Personally, I do not care what happens here I am not paying it. I told them to take me to court. She laughed and said well its on YOUR credit Report.

I am not at fault and feel this is very un-professional. Even now that my other gym (SNAP Fitness) has closed in my neighborhood I want to go to Planet because its closer and cheaper but I refuse to eat my words so I am going to a place that costs more.
    I am not backing down. SNAP is the cleanest and best kept gym I have been to in Maryland.

- Spoke to Megan on April 6th 2011.

- Megan said the balance due is $120.00 after she waives the late fees but she is not waving the monthly fees.

- Rodney Farmer

Is the general manager and he was un-available at time of call..

- KW.

• Kw
      9th of Dec, 2011

PLANET RUNNING MONEY SCAM ! ! !

Problem is,

- Spoke to Megan on April 6th 2011.

- Rodney Farmer

Is the general manager and he was un-available at time of call..

- KW.