Planet Fitness / be careful when quiting this gym!
I had to quit Planet Fitness in Loudeville, NY because I moved. I mailed them the certified letter as asked and I received the receipt card showing that someone in the Planet Fitness Company had signed for the letter on Oct. 1, 2007. I called a few days later to check and make sure they would no longer be charging my card. Somehow I still got charged for the month of October. The gym is now saying they did not receive it until Oct. 12, conveniently, the cut-off each month for quitting the gym is the 10th, therefore, if they receive your letter before the 10th of any month you will not be charged, if after the 10th you are charged for the whole month.
Now I have to fax them my receipt to prove that someone did in fact sign for the letter on Oct. 1, and they claim they will reimburse my credit card. They tell me that as soon as the company receives a quiting letter it is immediately faxed out to the specific gym I had signed-up at. I really believe they are just trying to get the extra $10 from me, in hopes that I would not notice it on my credit card or had lost the return receipt and would not be able to prove that they did in fact receive the letter before the 10th. Claiming that they did not receive the letter until after the 10th may be a way for the company to make extra money. If they do this to multiple people who quit, it could really add up.
The Lesson: Make sure to follow-up with them, keep your receipts, and check your credit card statements.
More Planet Fitness Complaints & Reviews
- Planet Fitness - annual fee charge 
- Planet Fitness - rude staff and manager! 
- Planet Fitness - freezing membership! 
- Planet Fitness - billing practices 
- Planet Fitness - South Africa - cancellation of membership 
- Planet Fitness - customer service
- [Resolved] Planet Fitness - cancellation of membership
- Planet Fitness - customer service / management
- Planet Fitness - Lack of Normal Gym Etiquette/Courtesies 
- Planet Fitness - letting homeless people sleep in gym