Planet Beach / Unauthorized charges

1 973 Pleasant Grove Blvd Suite 120Roseville, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 916-772-8266

Late February my friends and I went to Planet Beach in Roseville with a 'free day pass' to try out the spa. We all liked the products and were ready to sign up for the membership by the end of the day. We signed a contract stating that there would be an automatic charge on our credit cards of 79.99 starting March 1st. The only charge that was supposed to go through that day was the products we had purchased that day. We were told we did not need to stay while the employee charged our credit cards, this was our mistake. Within 2 days we were all charged 79.99 plus the price of the products. We decided that maybe they charged us early for the month of March so we let it go. We reviewed our bank accounts online and were shocked to see that we were all charged 79.99 again on March 2nd.

By this point, my friends and I felt deceived. We confronted Jen Miller of Planet Beach about the first unauthorized charge. Jen told us that their 'policy' was to charge clients a 'start-up fee.' When we asked to see this 'policy' we were told they did not have a copy to show to clients. We asked how we would know what the 'policy' consisted of if did not see it or provided a copy of it. Jen then advised us that since we had signed the charge card, we had 'approved' this charge. After reviewing our contract, there was no mention of any additional charges before March 1st.

We were told we needed to contact Planet Beach's corporate headquarters with no guarantee of having the charges reversed. Jen then went on to say how this is not the first time she was confronted with this same issue. Numerous attempts have been made to reach someone at the 'corporate headquarters' with no success... all ours calls have gone straight to voicemail. We have all signed a cancellation form---but we will probably incur another charge for April since we did not give '30 days notice' to cancel the membership.

This establishment is one of the worst I have ever dealt with. Perhaps it is because they are only interested in seeing how much they can rip you off and debit your account for. Customer service means nothing to this establishment... and I for one, hope they fail.

Ro

Comments

• Ca
      21st of May, 2009

I absolutely LOVED the Sunrise salon in 2007 & 2008, and then something happened. I cancelled my memebership and went to purchasing packaged specials for my tanning needs. This spring my daughter and I weren't too suprised to find that they closed this location and refered us to their Pleasant Grove location. No problem. But when we got there, they had no record of us, nor are they trying to correct the problem. I have called several times, I have emailed the franchisee and franchisor, and as of May 21, 2009 I have given them 2 weeks to get this resolved before I take action. It doesn't surprise me that other would have problems with them too.

~Carin Cannon

• Sb
      27th of May, 2009

at the pleasant grove location, the same thing happened with me and unauthorized charges have been made prior to my cancelation!!! also a fee stating that the card in which I removed from my record was declined, however the bank has no record of this charge or decline only the 94.00 dollars that waks charged to my account... I have contacted my bank which is investigating fraud charges I have contacted corpret and am in process of alerting the better busness beauro. I urge anyone elso to do the same. this is one among many problems including difficulty with canceling within my contract guidelinnes my erased appointments during the entirety of my membership and the same false charges and information as the first claim... jen miller is a crook and she is in full control of all of this the stuff she says ablout contacting corpret is pure BS!!! consider small claims do all you can!!!

• Ha
      6th of Apr, 2010

This salon is under new management because the previous owner was stealing from the company, and under the conditions of buying this salon jen miller would be fired. I personally know the new owner and he is the most honest guy out there and if anything else arises that can't be solved ask to talk to the owner. If my money was taken like yours was I wouldn't come back either but the improvement in the salon is night and day and the quality of the beds is way above others.

16th of Dec, 2013

I told the customer service rep. I wnted to buy a year of tanning in Sept. 2012, so i paid 36.00 monthly for this service. Recently I got a charge from them of 36.00 after not going or being billed for 4 months, upset I contacted the owner and told her I no longer wanted this service and wanted a refund, she refused to refund me and told me if shed continue to charge me and if I didnt pay she'd take me to small claims court, after a whole day of trying to convince her to cancel whatever service im being charged for she started to become very rude and I got annoyed and couldnt take it anymore. Today, I had a charge od 57.00 from them and a charge of 20.00. SERIOUSLY!? I just finished christmas shopping and they unexpectedly drain my account dry. I havent been there since june, I dont and cant afford this service, Ive explained this to the owner, and now they just charge me whenever they want?! I am so angry. I want to be refunded the 36.00 they took last month and the two charges of 20.00 and 57.00 they took from me today. I am so sick of this and refuse to go argue with the owner and be talked down to again. I am so very upset I have been a customer there for years and I will NEVER go back after the way ive been treated.
    Please email me back at lashbr2@gmail.com Thank you,
    Joanna Lashbrook

• Wh
      3rd of May, 2016

I signed up for month to month. I found out that it costs $10 more per month to do it that way. When I tried to cancel, I couldn't get the charges to stop. I talked to the manager and she gave me 3 months "free." After the free period, I was being charged again. There are extra charges associated with different services like $10 more for a spray tan, $60 for a plastic "suit" for the hydration machine.

I would not recommend doing business with this group.

• Te
      2nd of Jan, 2017

This is what happened to me in Houston, TX
    When is a class action lawsuit going to happen for the consumers?
    Read all the complaints about how Planet Beach scams everyone on memberships, withdraws money from their bank accounts after cancelling service, and calling with threats how they will ruin your credit. I'm now fighting a $1888.00 collection on my credit (5 years later) with Planet Beach and their minions, Kross Lieberman & Stone.
    I've been trying to fight this off my credit (even have the proof and contract) and it's got to the point where I'm limited to what I can do when it comes to getting a loan. I've called Kross Liberman & Stone and was treated like dirt the minute they picked up the phone. The guy kept cutting me off and kept saying, " you are the one who signed 24 months". Not only that when I called Planet Beach corporate office I would either get a voicemail or when someone answered they would take a message because the person I needed to talk to wasn't available. Plant Beach corporate office never returned my calls, voicemails, or contact forms I filled out online.

There is no winning here and not sure what else to do at this point, but find a lawyer that will take my case and hopefully help others who have been through the same as I did.

All around Planet Beach has the worst business ethics for both consumers and apparently franchisees.