Pinnacle Security / Unreasonable contract

1 1290 Sandhill Road, Orem, UT, United States Review updated:

I installed a Pinnacle alarm system in May. I asked the sales person if there was a contract or if I could cancel at any time because there was the possibility I might be moving. He said there was no contract.

I did indeed move out of town and I called to cancel my service. I was told I had to pay the balance of the THREE YEAR contract, which adds up to approximately $1400. I told her I was told by the sales person that there was no contract and she apologized that I was given wrong information! I told her I've moved and no longer lived at that house and she said I could (a) transfer the service to who is living there now, (b) I could have it installed in my new house (I'm renting) or (c) pay the penalty. I asked who I could explain the situation to in order to get an exception made and she said no one would waive it.

BEWARE MISLEADING SALES AND UNREASONABLE PRACTICES!

Kl

Comments

• Ke
      16th of Jan, 2009

BEWARE MISLEADING SALES AND UNREASONABLE PRACTICES!

• Co
      26th of Feb, 2009

We talked with Emma from the "cancelation department." She told us as of today, 3/25/09 that if you move and the new person doesn't want the system they can cancel it.

Then again, she also told us the cancelation department doesn't have the authority to cancel a contract. That makes complete sense, doesn't it? I'm going to add that one to my awful customer service experiences. We're also getting an attorney.

Good Luck!

• Sk
      2nd of May, 2009

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with such a reputable company. Maybe next time you sign any form of an agreement, you should read what you are signing. In bold and capitalized letters it states that the form you signed had a 39 month term. After the paper-signing portion of the deal was finished, the company then did a "welcome call" where you would have spoken with customer service representative from Pinnacle who again asked you that you understood that there was a 39 month term to the agreement. Either you are delusional, deaf, illiterate, or a liar.

• Me
      23rd of Jul, 2009

Thank you for your posting! I just set up the install for tomorrow morning and the rep FINALLY gave me an unsigned contract to hold onto until the tech arrives tomorrow morning. On the front page of the contract, it talks about canceling within 3 days, but nothing about canceling after that. Then I read your post about the $1400 and I had to seriously search for it! It was on the inside page of the pink carbon copy at the very back of the contract! I immediately called the rep and he confirmed that canceling before the 3 years requires payment in full. He also said that if I decide to cancel in a year, I could call corporate and "negotiate" a smaller cancellation payment of $300-$400 "which is much more reasonable than the $1, 400."

NO THANK YOU!

• Wo
      22nd of Oct, 2009

I wish I had read this before. I got into one of this contracts with them about two weeks ago and it has been a complete nightmare since the begining. They overcharge me, almost twice the amount, installed me an incomplete system and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it unless I want to pay a lot of extra money. And yes on top of that I can not get out of the contract.
    Worst company ever. DO NOT TRUST THEM!

• Sh
      8th of Dec, 2009

We set up in June becuase my husband was deploying and we wanted some reassurance. We were also told if we moved (since we're military, we could get orders somewhere else at anytime) we could cancel the contract at no penalty. Well after he deployed, I had his number removed from the list of contacts, since his cell was placed on military suspend. They called us 4 times to "finish our paperwork" and to get our "billing information" claiming they had nothing on file. However every month they managed to deduct from my bank account. We had a break in at 4:55 am in late sept. The alarm sound off for 11 minutes before I silenced it. No phone call ever came from pennical and police were never dispatched to my home. so whats the $50.00 a month for? They claimed the called the number I had removed from the list of contacts and left a msg (you couldn't leave a msg becuase of the suspension) and they said after the first # they called, they were not obligated to call any other number on the list. Does that make sense? Call a number thats not inservice and then not think you should call the next number on the list? Then they told me they didnt call because I disarmed the system. Yes, after 11 minutes, I disarmed. Isn't 11 minutes more then enough time to have someone dispatched to my home?

My husband emailed from Afghanistan to see how they planned on making this situation right by us, no one had the nerve to evn awknowledge his complaint.

Now, in December my account was charged twice, and they claim to not have any record of this, so I have to wait for my bank to send them an account statement, have them "review" it and refund my account. In the mean time, I get charges and fee's from my bank to do this.

We are paying for a service that we are not being provided with. I think, contract or not, if you are not getting the service for which you pay for, you should be able to break the contract, free of charge, they will not allow that though. I have been waiting for a week for "Hala" at the cancelation department to return my call. IF we are not able to walk away from pennical free of any charges, We will get an attorney, and we will contact all the news stations to make this public, what they are running is a scam!!!

• Ke
      8th of Apr, 2010

I know that your comment is roughly 4 months old, but I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this scam involving Pinnacle Security with you. I have experienced the same complaints with them that you have, I have filed a complaint with the BBB in Utah against Pinnacle Security that has not yet been resolved, and am looking seriously at filing a class action lawsuit against them. If we get enough people on board, it wouldn't cost any individual a lot of money, and we can more than likely put Pinnacle out of business and prevent them from continuing to scam the public. I would be willing to put up the first $$$, once we are able to retain an attorney to file the lawsuit, contingent upon enough participants. Please contact me at [protected]@gci.net, and we can exchange experiences with Pinnacle and plot where we can go from here. If I can't get enough people on board I will more than likely file a lawsuit against them on my own, but not only will it cost me more to do it individually, I will be the only one to benefit from the judgment in the end. Pinnacle Security needs to be stopped permanently, not just have one judgment against them that they can write off, and then continue to scam an indefinite amount of unsuspecting people in the future. As of today, (04/08/2010) they have an "F" rating with the BBB and 1138 complaints against them in the past 36 months, 5 of those complaints are within the last week. I would be happy to send you a copy of my complaint with the BBB against Pinnacle Security. I will be waiting to hear from you.

• Mo
      12th of Jan, 2011

I also wish I would have read this before I switched companies. I have had to have a tech come out 3 times in a little more than a year. They blame my phone line. My old system with the old company worked perfectly. Here I thought I was being the thrifty mommy of 4 by saving a little $. WRONG!!! The system keeps tying up my phone line for NO reason. No alarm going off, just ties up the phone line. They can either let the alarm go off for 5 min (while my children and dogs cry because of it) or send a tech out 10 days from now. So, I have no home phone, no alarm system, and now have to use my cell for any calls that have to be made. Oh, and they will credit me $25 nxt month. Like that is going to cover the unused home phone bill, unused security system, and the additional cell min. Of course, they will cancel my account once I pay the cancellation fee. Why should I have to pay them to cancel their poor service? They told me that they have issued me credits in the past too. (Lightbulb) There must be something wrong with your service if you have to keep doing so. I am so fed up with this company. I have now been told that the soonest they can get a tech out to me is 10 days from now due to new installs. So current customers come after potential new ones. Seems like a way to just get more money out of everyone. I would much rather not have any system at all then have Pinnacle. So, I finally after 90 min on the phone with Pinnacle (almost 1/2 of it on hold) got someone who worked out an appointment for a tech to come out in 2 days instead of 10. We will see what happens in 2 days.

• Mo
      14th of Jan, 2011

So the tech came out today. Took out the dsl filter saying that I don't need one when the person I talked to 2 days ago said I probably didn't have one and just needed one put in. I am so over all the run around.

• Mr
      12th of Jun, 2011

Evidently, skipdipity works for pinnacle, is delusional or a liar. Clearly understanding the contract & it's stipulations, as well as fulling as a consumer, pinnacle consistently refuses to acknowledge written communication, even when documented, .It's never received, even when sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, express mail overnight. FAX. HOW CAN ANY ONE CO. BE THAT INEFFICIENT UNLESS IT IS WITH COMPLETE MALICE AND FORETHOUGHT! TO BELEIVE ANY LESS IS TO OPERATE IN A FOOLS PARADISE!!! :6

• It
      13th of Jul, 2011

You idiot the BBB is a joke look them up on youtube! If you are left with a bad experience it's your own damn fault learn to read all the details before signing next time, don't place the blame else where. lol