Pier One / ridiculous late fees

NY, United States Review updated:
4.65
I have automatic payments set-up for my pier one account and this past month there was a problem on behalf of my bank, wamu. I called pier one's customer service dept. for the first time since signing up with them back in august and I encountered the most inefficient and unbending customer service I have ever experienced. I asked for a one fee adjustment if possible, my account has been in good standing and i have signed up for automatic payment, that's not to say that i'm owed a fee adjustment but being charged a total of $70.00 for a one time late payment is horrible customer service policy. And they get upset when you calmly ask to speak to a supervisor, worst of all their is no one above the rep you get on the phone to speak to, they will not transfer your call, that ridiculous. I have decided to cancel my account with them and no longer patronize their stores, there are way better places to shop at. I'm extremely disappointed and dissatisfied with pier 1!
Na

More Pier One Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Hu
  15th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I just got the surprise of my credit card life when I looked at my latest Pier1 bill -- also a member in good standing for YEARS, always paying my balance IN FULL, and because my payment was 2 days late (I miscalculated when the auto payment had to be made from my checking account), they are charging me a $29.00 late fee for a balance of $32.59!!

They are getting a call from me tomorrow, but after reading the above post and that customer service experience, I'm not expecting much. I, too, will stop shopping there, and I'm stopping in to tell the manager of the store I frequent next time I'm in that neighborhood. I know they don't call the shots, but I'm going to let them know why they're losing a customer.

Disgusting. Who do these people think they are, anyway?
Po
  18th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
I too have a Pier 1 card, I've been a loyal cardholder there for years and never had any problems, whenever any mishaps occurred they were always willing to make adjustments. BUT the Pier 1 card is now managed by CHASE BANK and is governed by their rules. That's probably why Pier 1 customer service can't do anything for you...if you call CHASE directly or the number on the back of your card then maybe you'll get somewhere.
Re
  23rd of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
As an employee of Pier 1, I am very sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience.

The previous poster is completely correct - CHASE is now the managing creditor and is often not helpful with us either.

I apologize for your bad experience and hope you remain a customer!
My
  17th of May, 2017
@restlessruby I am another Pier One Customer that has been dealing with a $29 late fee which the bill was paid on the exact date I was told it was coming off but in the mean time I'm thinking my balance is $0 and they tack on another $29 late fee because they never took off the $29 so now it's $58 I'm on the phone trying to deal with it and their computers are down and has been for 3 days so I say so is another $29 going to be added on the only things she could say is you can go pay in a store REALLY? ??? Now that's great costumer service LOL you can get just as good if not BETTER stuff from Kirklands and not have to deal with this ###
Sc
  25th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am disgusted with Pier One in general. I first signed up for a pier one credit card two years ago. I never once received a card in the mail from them. After asking two different people from Grandville, MI location where my card was, they responded that I didn't even have an account with them. This to me is just ridiculous. After recently relocating to Kenosha, WI I went into the Pier One store at their location. I once again asked them about looking in the system to retrieve my information. The lady found me within one minute. Can you believe this? I could have been using my Pier One card for almost two years! I was really excited and had the company mail me a new card. Within this time I shopped at the store and bought $105 of items. After receiving the bill in the mail, I went into the store with my debit/credit card ready to pay my payment. Unfortunately for me and customers, Pier One does not except debit/credit cards when making a purchase only money/check. So, a week goes by, and what do you know, I am one day late with my payment. So, I walk in the store with a check ready to pay my bill, andI get fined a $30 fee for being one day late. This disgusts me. Guess what Pier One? You just lost a customer. I will continue to spread the word to everyone about your poor services.
Ja
  7th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I made a Pier I payment over the phone as usual. The payment never was taken from my bank account. The next thing I know I was charged a returned check fee, late fee, and overlimit fee for their error. When I called to rectify it the representative acted like I was talking an out of space language. She was also quite indignant when I asked to speak with a supervisor which I never got. I wrote a letter, deducted the dispute amount, and paid my monthly bill - guess what I never received a response to the letter. Instead, I received a bill with more late fees etc. They are the worst. This is designer robbery.
Fo
  20th of May, 2009
I am a responsible senior citizen and I pay my bills on time. I rarely miss making any kind of payment that I owe, but, being human, that does occur once in a great while. Recently, I missed a $10 minimum payment on a Pier 1 balance that was just short of $120 and I was charged a late fee of $29. I called Pier 1 to ask if the late fee could be waived and "customer service" advisor said, "No". I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that a supervisor would call me within 24 to 48 hours. This never happened. After I called five more times over the period of a week, I was finally connected to a supervisor, who also said, "No". I had never been late on my PIer 1 account before and I offered to pay off the balance in full if the late charge could be waived. The answer was still, "No". GOODBYE Pier 1 --- I paid off my account, including the late charge and you just lost a good customer.
Mr
  20th of May, 2009
Due to unforeseen circumstances with a family emergency hospitalization I was overwhelmed by stress and by the time I sent in my payment in full, it was 4 days late. I also called Chase and asked them to waive the late fee they refused to work with me whatsoever. I was just forced to pay a $30 late fee. Chase is completely unreasonable and rude. I have made huge purchases at Pier1, and they have always been one of my favorite stores. I will never set foot in another Pier1 store again. Pier1 has made the wrong choice, because Chase's rudeness reflects on them as a company. They have lost my business as well, along with everyone else I tell about this.
Mr
  21st of Sep, 2009
I too have a beef with Chase bank running Pier 1 credit card. I have or had a Pier 1 card for several years. It was never late and I had a healthy credit limit of 3000 grand. Not a small amount given the price of Pier 1 furniture. At any rate, I ran into a conflict with my bank, B of A. I became late on an account there. I changed banks due to the lack of customer care in their service and their rigidity. NOW, Pier 1, aka Chase is canceling my account with Pier 1 because I was late with B of A. thru no fault of my own mind you. I simple shredded the card and now refuse to patronize the store. Mind you, I shop for a living. I spend thousands of dollars per week for the movie industry in stores like Pier 1, BUT NOT ANY MORE. There are other choices. Sorry Pier 1, you loose close to 60 grand a year from my purchasing power.
Cu
  9th of Oct, 2009
I went to Pier One to do some shopping today and intended to use my $0.00 balance pier one credit card. When I went to pay the bill with my pier one credit card I was advised that they do not accept the credit card due to problems with the credit card company...apparently I was suppose to be advised of this and that the cards are inactive effective Oct 1, 2009...Am I the only card holder not aware of this. I did not receive notification of the card being being terminated. I never had a late payment and was told that Pier One credit cards are not being accepted by Pier One..
Je
  10th of Jan, 2010
I made the mistake of completing a Chase/Pier 1 card application in store, with purchases.
I never received a card.
I never received a bill.
I did start rceiving dunning phone calls with threats against a good credit record, along with threats of late fees.
I STILL have not received a bill!
Hopefully they will resond to my latest email and at least let me know what I owe.
I do believe I have sent at least 3/4 of what I owe, even if blindly trusting them to acknowledge receipt.
I have always enjoyed shopping at Pier 1, have spent a lot there over the years - BUT NEVER AGAIN!
Ne
  23rd of Oct, 2010
How can Pier 1 sell a card that they then later have no control over? I tried to pay off a pier 1 purchase by phone as well and I paid the amount in full plus interest. After paying it off over the phone I still got more interest charges the next month. It's wrong when you pay over the phone in full but can not actually do that. I still don't understand their excuse for that. But they did it and I refused to keep paying which has resulted in my making monthly calls to Pier 1 and Chase and working my way up the sytem.

Trying to find anyone that can actually find accurate information about the situation and then do something about it is extremely difficult. I have a zero balance and have cancelled by card but I want my credit fixed. Apparently only the Chase resolution department can do that and althouth they sent me a letter, the put the Chase customer service number on it. No one in customer service can call or email the resolution department. They only have a fax number which means there can be no two way communication. I have faxed them but have no way of knowing if they will respond.

Pier 1 Customer Care answers the phone but they seem to have like they have no control over Chase. Somehow it does not seem right to be encouraged to buy a card in the Pier 1 store for the 20% off and then later told that Pier 1 has no special way to reach Chase either, when there is a problem.

Calling Chase is extremely frustrating and time consuming. You can't talk with the same account supervisor ever again even if you have their ID number. I check on their notes each time I call and they don't write accurate notes and often the next Chase representative can't understand the notes as they use confusing short cuts. My credit has been damaged by them.

My 20% off has cost me tremendously. The whole thing is wrong from the communication circus -- obviously on purpose, to the interest charge fraud. Stay away from these companies!
Se
  12th of Mar, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I'm an employee at Pier 1 Imports. I'm sorry to hear that many of you are disgusted by the Pier 1 card and the late fee policies. However, I would like to remind you that the card you opened was really through Chase Bank. If you want to blame them for their policies, then call them and complain. Do not blame the store. Pier 1 is not trying to scam you. That money does not go to our store. It is painful for us when customers come in, distressed because they are being charged a late fee even if only a day late. But there is nothing us employees can do about it. It's up to Chase Bank.

Also, I would like to state that most credit cards will charge you late fees if you don't pay your bill on time. Why should this card be any different? You wonder why we have a card, but it keeps our business going. At times like this, it's really nice to have a job, and Pier 1 has a lot of awesome stuff on the shelves for people to buy. Like I said, I'm an employee and I've been working with the P1 for quite some time and most customers are very happy with their cards and never encounter any issues with it.

It's not Pier 1's fault. We're not trying to scam anybody. We're just trying to stay in business.
Lo
  29th of Sep, 2011
I'm a former asst manager of pier 1 for 7 yrs. and I understand the frustrations with your credit cards, but does that REALLY reflect the quality of merchandise and fantastic customer service?
Cl
  22nd of Jun, 2012
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Is Pier 1 purposefully sending statements late in the mail or is it the postal service? I received my pier 1 statement 2 days prior to payment is due. I have no other problems with my mail. I would like feedback from other Pier 1 customers to initiate a formal complaint to consumer affairs.
Mb
  30th of Jul, 2012
Anything Chase gets involved with you know you're going to come out in the losing end. They seem to be chaotic in management as well as with customer care. If Pier One truly wants you to stick with them then the best solution would be to get rid of Chase. How is it that for 2 straight years my payments were timely. When Chase took over, nothing made sense. Most of my payments were posted late. I was continually charged for these supposed late payments. I paid the late payment because when I complained it was to someone in the Philippines. Every payment thereafter was considered late. The same thing happened with my mortgage when Chase took over. I had to use return receipts each time I sent in a payment. Chase needs to get out of our lives. I will never shop anywhere that Chase handles the billing. Yes I ask first.
Ri
  20th of Apr, 2013
Pier one is the worst company to work for! My daughter is a college student and she has asked repeatedly for more hours( because they like give them around 20 and no more) and they won't give them to them but they do do this thing called a flex! It is where these kids are " ON CALL"! Is that legal???? Last I checked dr and nurses did call and they get paid to be on it!!! They schedule u these hrs called flex and if the person that is suppose to work doesn't show it becomes ur problem and u don't have a choice, u are expectd to show!!! I told her today to use walk out
Mi
  26th of Oct, 2013

PIER ONE - No Chanukah item in store
Pier one

I went into pier one for the first time since the new store opened. There was Halloween displays and Christmas displays up throughout the store. However, I was looking for Chanukah item-when I asked a sales person if they had any she said no-that the stores "chooses" which stores will have these items or not. How is that done? She than told me to look on line. Which I did--u have 2 items on the web site candles and cards. Do u think that's all the Jewish community may want? Why not menorahs, ornaments, or other items that have to do with Chanukah. Your store has a plethora of Christmas items but you don't put equal time for the other holidays . I love pier one but I don't like seeing a store with a one-sided view of the holidays
Am
  28th of Nov, 2015
I'm done was late with payment thru medical issues with mom will NEVER do business with pier 1 EVER AGAIN
Sm
  23rd of Feb, 2017
I was told they don't allow for auto debit, have had the card for years but don't really use it- have used my AA credit card. Since, I dont use the card all that often, so i wasnt that worried about it. I have everything auto debited so I dont have to worry and should have pressed these guys. I realized I had charged in December so I needed to go check the account online to make a payment in January. I was 2 days past due, but the system didnt tell me there was a late fee. I paid 27.41 and didnt think anything after that. Well little did I know, they had charged a late fee of 27.00. That is less than a dollar of what my entire bill was. Now come February, Im getting a call that I owe 56 bucks. They are charging a late fee on another late fee. No other charges. That should be illegal. I ended up paying for the 1 late fee, as I was 2 days late, even though I think that fee is INSANE and CLOSED the account!! Im redecorating my house too- sorry Pier 1! I wont be using you BECAUSE of the credit card company you all have chosen to associate yourselves with!
My
  17th of May, 2017
@Smcfadden Your story is EXACTLY like mine paid my bill on line NO late fee showing then charged me another late fee of $29 so now my bill is $58 called they wouldn't take anything off I said close my account went to pay the $58 and she says their computers are down so I said so now I get another $29 late fee charge she said you can go pay in a store REALLY? ? ? ? ? Now that's great costumer service LOL I will shop at Kirklands thank you