Pictage / They've ruined my wedding photos and their customer service is horrible

I had my wedding in St. Thomas, USVI and had an excellent photographer. She put my pictures on Pictage because she said since she is out of the country it would be easier.

That was a mistake, Pictage was horrible. There customer service is horrible. In the end they billed my credit card twice. When I called them and told this they called me a liar. They made me fax my credit card statement to them and then when I called them back they told be very hatefully that they would be refunding the money in a few weeks. In less than an hour later, I received another call and they said that after reviewing my account they could not see where they billed me twice, so they would not be refunding my money. Finally, my credit card company said they would handle it and suggested I not talk to Pictage anymore.

My pictures look like they were printed at a discount copier shop. I am very disappointed that this is all I have from my wedding day. The photographer, sells the rights to the pictures to Pictage, so I can't go through another company, unless I spend another $250 with Pictage to buy the negatives.

Horrible company, don't use a photographer that uses Pictage.

Va

Comments

• Na
      18th of Jun, 2008

I am a Pictage photographer, and I must disagree and say that every print I, or any of my clients, have ever recieved have been of the highest quality.

Pictage does not buy the copyright for our photographs from us, but rather host our copyrighted photos. Unless the photographer deleted the digital negatives from her computer, she still has full permission to do what-so-ever she wants with them.

The $250 for the DVD full of mid-resolution photos that you were told you must buy in order to have the negatives are not infact negatives, they are around 8x10@300dpi.

I'm terribly sorry you've had a bad experience with Pictage, but I feel they are an excellent hosting service and tool for the professional photographer. I have had my fair share of complaints about them at one time or another, but whenever I call and explain the situation as a rational pictage-pro account holder they take care of all my problems. Perhaps if your photographer was reachable at the time of your difficulties, it would have been easier.

18th of Aug, 2008

Pictage works with over 8, 000 photographers and knows that their bread and butter is making the photographer happy; they do not care about making the "customer" happy. After being on the phone for over an hour I was "disconnected" by someone who no longer wanted to talk to me. Oh, BTW I take offense to the insinuation that the response above made about others possibly not being rational. I was very calm and rational, being calm and rational is part of what I do for a living. I also ran a large customer service center for over a year and know that there are companies just like Pictage that know they can "get away" without penalty due to their large customer base. More Internet and phone based companies are likely to be this way. Best bet is to work with a high grade photographer and pay extra to have them do the work themselves.

• 31
      10th of Apr, 2015

I am a photographer that uses Pictage - I can say they are not the greatest with us either. I was told to raise my prices after inquiring about some some crazy "expenses" Raising my prices won;t benefit me much as they will still charge commission on the retail prices, and then I was told to upgrade my package to the PRO for a lower commission. That's a 50% increase in monthly fees for a 3% reduction in commissions. I will say that my volume is not high enough to justify these expenses, and raising my prices is not an option... Pictage is not that photographer friendly anymore. I was a customer of theirs in 2007 and i loved them, however this go round I'm not happy at all with them. I think their cost are high, commissions are exaggerated especially with the higher monthly fees. Don't forget that right there on their packaging list the customer support is listed and I quote:
    Customer Support: Plan Starter - email and chat Plan Premium - email and chat plan pro - Priority service...
    does this sound totally photographer friendly? Think twice. Do your math and plan carefully to see if they are the right service for you. I will note that my customers are over all happy with their products and that part is true.

Simple math:
    based on one month -
    Total sales $1000.000
    Commissions @ 20% (Starter plan) 200.00 15%(premium plan) 150.00 12%(pro plan) 120.00
    Monthly plan fees WITH taxes 31.39 53.04 107.17
    Your cost off the top for the paper (products) 200.00
    REAL profit after one month 568.61 596.96 572.83

math equation -
    1000.00 is total customer sales minus the commissions (the take that off your retail price) minus the cost of product
    then subtract the monthly plan fee = real profit