photo laureates photography books / SCAM, DODGY and THIEVES !

photo laureates
I warn you all... do not have anything to do with Photo Laureates.

They run a scam where they hold fake photography competitions where you can alledgedly win money, then they say your picture has been selected to be in a book and that you can buy a copy of the book.

For those who are foolish enough to buy the over pricde book (like myself) will be shocked to discover that they will never recieve there order !

I made my purchase in October 2008 and was told the book will be mailed to me in December, then after chasing them up about my order i was told it will be sent in January 2009, then when i didnt get it i was told June 2009 !

Not only is it disgusting how much they charge you for a copy of a book, but also the fact they dont tell you your order is being delayed.

Then to top it all off they email you every week trying to get more sales off you ! Who in there right mind will order more stuff when they havent recieved what they ordered originally !

SO what can someone do when the company already has your money and is screwing you around ?

complain of coarse

A  14th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I to ordered a book in December 2008 and have never received I was wondering what to do.
N  14th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
all you can do is email help@photolaureates.org and tell them you are still awaiting your order... but i have been awaiting my order since October 2008 and ive emailed them 20 or so times and im always getting the run around.

ive also read on other forums that when people do get the book it is of poor quality and there picture is glued in to the book after the book was printed (meaning no one else will get t o see your works... which was the whole purpose of entreing the 'comp' in the first place wasnt it)

if you look up Photo laureates on google you will find loads of forums and websites where there are hundreds of people who have been scammed like you and i... if only i had done some research on them before i made my purchase...
N  20th of Apr, 2009 by
I just entered the contest for Photo Laureates and was sent an email saying that my photo was selected to be published in the book. When I began to research this "Fake" company after noticing how much money they wanted not only for the book but quite a few items, of course all separate and over priced. I soon realize that it was a scam. I'm sad that it's not a "real" photo contest but yet I'm relieved that I found out before I spent all that money on "Nothing". It's to bad there are people out there taking advantage of good people. I can just say that they will be judged and have to answer for their wrongdoings.
N  8th of Jun, 2009 by
im 14 and entered a photo laureates competition later which i got a email saying i was a finalist and my photo was going to be published in their book, i was so happy about it that i asked my dad if we could buy the book which he did and now reading that it was just a scam is pretty upsetting because now i have to go and tell my dad that he spent AU $115 on absolutely nothing.
A  13th of Jun, 2009 by
Oh ElleC, my heart goes out to you... Do not blame yourself honey, unfortunately you have just gone through a very hard lesson that many of us adults learn the hard way - and that is that you can't always believe everything you read, and it is worth doing your own research, just to be sure. I am 42 and was so pleased to hear that I too had won and would be published. I even told my husband just an hour ago, and he said I should buy the book. I had a gut feeling that paying for a copy of my award winning photo didnt sound right, so thought I would research and here I am!
I hope you're dad does not get angry with you, as you simply could not be expected to know about this scam, I am sure he is however vey dissapointed for you, as you have learnt a bitter lesson that someone your age should not have to learn just yet! I too feel dissapointed, as for a little while I felt so proud that an external organisation had recognised my creative abilities.
Chin up honey, try to look at the only positive out of all this...your father loves you very much and is proud of you...he obviously thought your photo was so good that he completely believed you would be published and deserved to be. Clare.
A  13th of Aug, 2009 by
I never got scammed by them, and am sorry to hear that other people did. If there is someone reading this who knows how to track pictures and real names of the scam artists running "Photo Laureates" or "Boulevard of Photographers" (which is PL's new name), please post pictures and information regarding their identities so the whole world can get a good look at these A-holes and blacklist them. We do not need people like them in our industry (or any other industry).

See it as a community service by helping us find them... but just make sure you get the right people lol
N  4th of Sep, 2009 by
please take note:

the following is almost a sure way you are getting scammed.

1) you have to pay a large sum of money 30 + dollars to enter a contest..

2) the publication promises to publish you..and asks you to pay for their work

3) false promises

4) it is hard to reach the publisher

how to double check if you are getting scammed:

GOOGLE SEARCH: I thought this sounded fishy, and I found this post.

**poetry.com offers a great similar scam

***if you have been scammed or know of any scams..please email me avitanny@hotmail.com

lets get rid of these ###.

A  19th of Dec, 2009 by
yes, TRY THIS, just get your very worst pic, very blurry of nothing at all, submit it and wahlah! they email you saying it's won a prize every time, so you can buy the book - NOT!!
N  23rd of May, 2010 by
I’m embarrassed to admit, that I also have been scammed by Mr. John Wharten.
I bought the book under the same emotion and good feeling of having a photo taken by me published in a photo book for the first time. A few days later, I felt something wasn’t right and I decide to do a little search. It didn’t take me long to realized what I have falling in to.
After found out that I had been scammed, I immediately emailed Boulevard of photographer’s - John’s company cancelling my purchase which had already been charge to my credit card. I also sent him a copy of Sales Contract Regulation under the Fair Trading Act (Revised Statutes of Alberta). I receive no answer.
Few weeks after the book arrived at my house; I emailed Boulevard of photographer’s again telling them that they didn’t understand my message where I exercised my rights of termination of the contract. Under the above act where the law applies to AB, where we live - If they didn’t refund me within 25 days, I’d be getting the total refund from my credit card company. The law applies to them as well. The credit card company wouldn’t assume the cost; they would charge it back to him one way or the other.
Under this law, I am required to return your book to you them, but they should provide the address I should return it to and pay for the shipping costs.
Of course they do not want to give their address so there was no way I could return the book.
After exchanging few emails, they did fully refund my purchase and I still have the fake/glued book.
The bottom line is, if you fall for it as I did, please check it out the legislation of internet purchase of you Estate/Province; you might be covered under it.
Good luck and I hope you’re smarter than me and do not make the same mistake I did.
One day John Warthen will be caught. I have faith on it!