Phoenix Hardparts / rebuilt transmissions / Bad product, won't refund fees, appalling customer service
I cannot say enough bad things about Phoenix Hardparts aka Silverado Transmissions aka Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions. Lousy product (remanufactured transmissions), appalling customer service, dishonest, more than happy to nail their customers.
Do not give them your money under any conditions.
Specific issues -- please use google to find wide confirmation of these patterns over years!
- I bought their deluxe extended warranty
- They promised transmission in 7-10 days.
- They couldn't find transmission to ship it on time
- They later claimed that the transmission was in dyno-test
- They later claimed they had to re-rebuild the tranny.
- Eventually they shipped defective transmission, plus it wasn't even the right kind for my car.
- Their delay cost me an extra $400 in car rental
- They authorized warranty repair of transmission to make it work in my car
Finally, the tranny is in the car after a month. Whoops: their transmission didn't work much better than the old one...but it was clear they didn't know how to do any better. I can live with it, long enough to sell the car (wasn't my plan, but is now...). Shifts roughly in forward and reverse, makes constant whirring noise.
I tried to ship old transmission back to them to get my $750 core exchange refund.
- they "couldn't find" a shipping authorization form for a week. they clearly didn't want me to ship it back
- finally, they let me ship it back
- they didn't respond to dozens of phone calls and emails
- they initially denied having received the core
- I filed a protest with my credit card dispute organization
- Phoenix gave the credit card company lots of misleading and erroneous info to confuse / delay the process
- eventually they admitted to having received the transmission months ago but whoops: it couldn't be rebuilt (so sorry, no refund!)
>>>>The transmission I sent them was nearly as functional as the one they sent me after rebuilding. All forward gears had been running properly, smooth shifting, no slippage or noise. Their claim was that the "overdrive set" was destroyed so the tranny couldn't be rebuilt. In fact, the overdrive set and everything else they claimed was un-rebuildable were fully functional. My mechanic wrote a letter attesting to this.
They never paid the transmission core exchange fee. time ran out with the credit card dispute.
- They also refused to pay the warranty coverage for the work I had done. Note that even if they had paid, the coverage would only be paying $260 out of a $750 charge.
Bottom line, this "$1200" transmission ended up costing me over $3500 in direct and consequential damages, all for a tranny that now doesn't shift properly and makes noise.
I'm sorry I ever thought of doing business with this company. If you want to know more, just reply to this and hopefully I can post more details.