Phoenix Hard Parts / How to beat them at their own game

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I ordered a transmission from Phoenix Hard Parts. Shortly after ordering the transmission, I received the order via email stating that I needed to sign the order/contract and fax it back to them. This is where I succeeded, I did not sign it. I read the terms and conditions and wondered why they would have a term stating that they will not cover shipping or labor on DOA (Dead On Arrival) transmissions. If this were not a big problem, why would they put it on their contract that they require that you sign? Dyno testing modern transmissions that are computer controlled requires a significant investment in equipment. They do claim that they dyshonest rebuilt transmissions, if you end up needing taking them to court, make them prove their claim. If they are not selling you what they claim, you are in a great position in court.

My one word of advice, DO NOT SIGN THE SALES ORDER. If you did, read the previous sentence, and seek legal council immediately. Make a record of all interactions that you have with Phoenix Hard Parts, for use in court. They have a big advantage, and that advantage is distance. You most likely are not in Phoenix, and are unlikely to visit there to complain in person or take legal action. Do not threaten them, I recommend visiting them in person, and sitting in their place of business until you get action. I believe that's about the only way to get a response from them. I believe that the owner is scared of personal visits. And possibly rightfully so. He understands that he is at risk when someone physically visits his place of business.

One last note, their ebay feedback looked ok, upon further examination, they sell mostly books, transmission feedback is not nearly as good as the books that they sell.

Comments

• Da
      14th of Jun, 2008

I cannot say enough bad things about Phoenix Hardparts aka Silverado Transmissions aka Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions. Lousy product (remanufactured transmissions), appalling customer service, dishonest, more than happy to nail their customers.

Do not give them your money under any conditions.

Specific issues -- please use google to find wide confirmation of these patterns over years!

- I bought their deluxe extended warranty

- They promised transmission in 7-10 days.

- They couldn't find transmission to ship it on time

- They later claimed that the transmission was in dyno-test

- They later claimed they had to re-rebuild the tranny.

- Eventually they shipped defective transmission, plus it wasn't even the right kind for my car.

- Their delay cost me an extra $400 in car rental

- They authorized warranty repair of transmission to make it work in my car

Finally, the tranny is in the car after a month. Whoops: their transmission didn't work much better than the old one...but it was clear they didn't know how to do any better. I can live with it, long enough to sell the car (wasn't my plan, but is now...). Shifts roughly in forward and reverse, makes constant whirring noise.

I tried to ship old transmission back to them to get my $750 core exchange refund.

- they "couldn't find" a shipping authorization form for a week. they clearly didn't want me to ship it back

- finally, they let me ship it back

- they didn't respond to dozens of phone calls and emails

- they initially denied having received the core

- I filed a protest with my credit card dispute organization

- Phoenix gave the credit card company lots of misleading and erroneous info to confuse / delay the process

- eventually they admitted to having received the transmission months ago but whoops: it couldn't be rebuilt (so sorry, no refund!)

>>>>The transmission I sent them was nearly as functional as the one they sent me after rebuilding. All forward gears had been running properly, smooth shifting, no slippage or noise. Their claim was that the "overdrive set" was destroyed so the tranny couldn't be rebuilt. In fact, the overdrive set and everything else they claimed was un-rebuildable were fully functional. My mechanic wrote a letter attesting to this.

They never paid the transmission core exchange fee. time ran out with the credit card dispute.

- They also refused to pay the warranty coverage for the work I had done. Note that even if they had paid, the coverage would only be paying $260 out of a $750 charge.

Bottom line, this "$1200" transmission ended up costing me over $3500 in direct and consequential damages, all for a tranny that now doesn't shift properly and makes noise.

I'm sorry I ever thought of doing business with this company. If you want to know more, just reply to this and hopefully I can post more details.

• Da
      5th of Jul, 2008

I have to add this to my review: this just represents one customer's experience, one man's opinion.

Any statements I made in the review about their intentions, motives, or behaviors, were made because of my frustration and bad feelings about the transaction. These statements should be ignored.

Let the facts in my review speak for themselves