Petsmart / totally incompetent grooming

1 1020 Market Place BlvdCumming, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (678) 513-1689

We have used this store for all our pet products, needs and veterinary services since acquiring Maggie four years. We love the store and employees, but love our dog more. What we experienced at that store today has us terribly upset.

Words cannot describe what we saw when they brought Maggie out. She had been sheared down to the skin on her sides – one side much worse that the other.in fact, the shears had abraded the skin in one place.in addition, the area under her neck was gapped and sheared down to the bare skin. She will not be able to wear her collar for several days. The characteristic Westie cut was all but gone, particularly around her head and face. See the attached pictures.

We were not charged for the grooming fiasco done by a completely incompetent person. We were told the groomer was an intern. Well, in my opinion she has utterly failed as a groomer. I cannot understand how, in good conscience, the grooming school can put her in a store with skills so poorly developed. A child could do a better job.

The online PETSMART Grooming advertisement states that, “caring professionals... are available to ensure your pet is happy, healthy and looks great.” An intern is not a professional and our dog looks awful and will be so for weeks.

Our friends, neighbors, and others we meet will ask what happened to our dog. With much embarrassment I must tell them she was “groomed” at PETSMART.

Aq

Comments

• Cs
      12th of Jul, 2009

Damn...I feel so bad for your dog...Now Pet Smart should know not to get anymore interns.

• Pe
      12th of Jul, 2009

I've been looking at your pictures for at least 10 minutes now and still can't believe it. Pissed off is a understatement! Here's what you should do (Because I definitely would...) Send those pictures and a rather nasty letter to Pet Smart headquarters requesting some kind of compensation (even though you didn't pay for that inexcusable butchering of your Westie...God - little lone the physical and mental torment Maggie had and probably will continue to have). If Pet Smart's corp. headquarters contact you saying any compensation is "Out Of The Question" inform them that you're going to the media with A.) Their decision not to compensate you in any way possible B.) Those dreadful pictures of animal abuse ... yes I said animal abuse ----- look at the pictures. Trust me - Pet Smart doesn't want this kind of bad publicity at all. Plus the fact animal lovers with out of doubt will be outraged over this animal abuse! Good luck and here is my email address because I'll be the first in line to back up Maggie and you...! blangenheim@neo.rr.com

• Fa
      13th of Jul, 2009

This has also happened to my dog. Petsmart claimed that my dog was not cooperating and would struggle, but when I sat there for an hour while they began the grooming, she never moved once. She is skiddish and just stood with her tail down. Before the grooming, We asked to talk to the person who was going to cut our dogs hair and told her that she had arthitis and to not shave the fur short... 2 1/2 hours later and my dog is covered in razor burn and wouldnt even eat. We filed a compliant to Petsmart Corpate office and they were extremely sorry about this mishap. Of course, a Sorry didnt make my dog better.

15th of Jul, 2009

Poor doggie!!

I see a lot of complaints about various PetSmarts here. Makes me think the cheap option is not the way to go. Even if an intern groomed your dog, there should have been a supervisor who was making sure things went safely.

Will they pay for any vet fees you have as a result of this?

• Lk
      19th of Jul, 2009

I used to work at petsmart nad we would always get complaints kida like this that we stupid and it was just the owner over reacting, but after seeing the pics of ur poor baby u should do something about this groomer. saying the groomer in an intern means she just finished grooming school. this person does not give a ### about the pets they groom. THIS is the reason i quit petsmart, I was sick and tiered of working with people everyday that dont take their job seriously, and dont realize these r living animals that they r grooming.

1st of Aug, 2009

How's your dog doing?

• Ne
      1st of Aug, 2009

I've always use Petsmart and Banfield Pet Hospital. There always have done a good job in the grooming with my puppy. But those pictures are very very bad, Poor Maggie! I don't think petsmart is the problem the problem are some of the employee's, Some of them don't give a ### about our pets. They should start supervising them and fire them if they are not doing what they supposed to do.

• Is
      2nd of Aug, 2009

That is absolutely and unbelievably horrifying. I'm a groomer at petsmart. As an intern you can't go through the academy with such poor skills. That is sickening. In order to get such clipper burn, the blade would be scorching hot or pressed so hard into the skin or both, which would be so extremely painful an ordeal to go through. You should go after them atleast to stop that intern from touching another dog. My heart goes out to Maggie!!! Not all us groomer are bad...but poor little Maggie just found a horrible one.

4th of Aug, 2009

I'm surprised that no one at the store heard the dog yelping in pain while being groomed. Wasn't there anyone in there besides the intern? Interns should always be supervised, so there shoudl have been someone nearby who should have stepped in when they saw what was going on. PetSmart is definitely responsible.

• Bl
      10th of Aug, 2009

#1 petsmart grooming doesn't have any interns. There's no such thing. I've worked with the company for years, trust me I'd know.

#2 I'm usually an advocate for petsmart, but that is just terrible. Your groomer was horribly underskilled.