PetiCure.com / Defective product

1 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-626-7961

We bought a nail grooming tool from PETICURE.COM. The device is a sander for the nails on a dog. We were tired of clipping the nails, and the inherent danger of hurting the dogs by clipping to close the quick. We were excited about the idea of sanding the nail down. The device arrived about a month later and we used it right away. Great idea the dogs needed some training but took to it well. A few months later the unit would not turn on NO POWER! The battery would not hold a charge.

I finally connected with customer service and they refused any warranty past the 90 days. Apparently the call center is the only place you order a replacement battery and charger. They were quick to point out that had we bought the 2 year warranty (which we were not aware of), they would have replaced the unit free of charge within 6 weeks. The NEW battery is $9.95 ( if in fact it is a NEW battery)? The charger is $9.95 and the shipping charge is $7.30. They could not verify the shipping time as they are only a call center. Total cost for the replacement battery is twenty eight (28) dollars. This is half of original the value of my Elite Peticure. We are out $50 dollars for the unit and now the working model is $78 dollars?

The pet groomers around the country thought the product was a great idea too! Here is an excerpt that you will find interesting. Had I known this I would NEVER have purchased this product. As you will read in the link below, the unit has a serious defect that the company admits is a problem and much more. http://tinyurl.com/3xr4lg.

Ke
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Pa
      26th of Sep, 2010

From New Zealand What a have $129.60 for a battery operated peticure used 3 times then useless no money back here just dont buy advertised products on t.v. you have no come back Pam

• Fr
      27th of Dec, 2009

I have had a Peticure for some time. I found almost immediately that the sanding bands are far too soft for a mature dog's claws. I switched them out for grinding heads from my Dremel rotary tool. The real advantage of the Petecure is the head that positions the claws nicely for filing/grinding. When my Peticure failed after 6 months Peticure replaced it quickly. However, the battery then stopped holding a charge and now I cannot get a reply to my request for a replacement battery nor can I find a similar battery pack already made up. Unfortunatley, the head does not fit on the Dremel (I guess that is intentional) because the threads are not standard. Now they seem to sell a different head only product that will fit.

I have just done my dog's claws with the Dremel for the first time and if I hold his paw steady while I grind, it works ok. You just have to be careful not use too high a speed or the claw becomes very hot and then so does the paw.

$50 dollars will buy a nicely equipped rotary tool.

• Fa
      3rd of Oct, 2009

I have had the peticure for a year now. My Australian Shepard was almost IMPOSSIBLE to trim nails with a conventional trimmer. He is very well trained but HATES getting his nails done. He was a rescue and someone must have been very brutal when they did his nails and hurt him. He RUNS when he sees the trimmers.

With the peticure it took some conditioning (about a week) for him to get use to the noise. Now he willining gives me his paw to trim.

I think some of these complaints are from folks that just dont know how to use the product. You cant expect the tool to trim off large amounts of nail (especially on big dogs). You should be trimming the dogs nails every two weeks or so (just like your own fingernails). I hold my dogs nail very close to where I am trimming so I can feel if any heat builds up...just remember you cant go above 6 or so on the speed and only stay on one nail for no more than 5 seconds (I genereally do 1 to 2 swipes and move to the next nail).

Overall the product has worked fine for me. Although the quality of the motor unit is not as good as a regular dremel. THey do sell the guard on line so my suggestion would be buy a quality Dremel and the guard from peticure.

• Sh
      20th of Jul, 2009

Do not Buy this product it is worth less, Ive only had mine a matter of months and now nothing works, not the charger, NOTHING!!!

• Jp
      23rd of Nov, 2008

When I called I only wanted to order one and wound up with three and no way to return. No way to contact. Bad product, does not work, way to complicated and the dogs do not like it. Would not recommend it, it is a SCAM.

• Je
      22nd of Nov, 2008

Thanks for all the warnings. Was just about to order one for my two Yorkies. Figured the rechargable would be better than the pedi-paws which uses batteries. Upon doing a google search I saw the "Complaints" area. Always good to check there first. Thanks to these complaints, I won't become another victim. As for using the dremel, I guess the advantage the Peti-cure and Pedi-paws have is the guard so the only thing coming into contact is the nail. Well, sign me out as a happy non-scammed, non-customer. Thanks All!!!

• Lh
      10th of Nov, 2008

I haven't seen this one in the complaints. I started to order one, and stopped when I saw that my "Special Price" Peticure of $14.99 would be shipped out for $14.98! Since when does shipping cost the same amount as the item? What a scam!

• Th
      2nd of Nov, 2008

I was about to order this product from TV but glad I went looking for bad reviews. THANK YOU all for taking the time to post on this board.

I work too hard for my money to be ripped off.

Perhaps a smarter company will figure this out and create a better product -- I think there is a big market for it.

• Ra
      31st of Oct, 2008

Well folks thanks you all just saved me a lot of money.I have a Dremel kit already so Why couldn, t we Use that it looks to be basic the same thing.I can save myself $60 or $70 lol
    What upsets me is why these fly by night jerks are allowed to Rip off the Public. Throw them behind Bars

Radical

15th of Oct, 2008

I ordered one of these sets off from television, they sent me 3 of them at a charge of $ 134.95 ! $ 29.95 for shipping & handling ! I tried to contact their customer service # for 4 days and nobody would answer the phones ! These people are theives who should never be allowed to see anything ever again on tv or anyplace else !!! If your smart stay away from these people !!!

• Ed
      9th of Oct, 2008

After reading these reviews there is no way that I'll DONATE my money to these thiefs.

• Ka
      4th of Oct, 2008

I'm so glad I read this section of complaints, thanks for all who posted. This is the only way to put these scamers out of business. I saw the ad on t.v., wrote number down, I have seen it before, and thought it would be helpful for my 3 Jack Russell's, 2 of which won't let me trim their nails, ( I have taken them to groomers) I have learned my lesson with other products on t.v. so was grateful I decided to google it. It is a pain to get something that is not what is advertised, and then you must pay to send it back. I reccommend to all who have a 'refund' coming, or are no satisfied, print out these complaints, file a dispute with your credit card co. in the dispute info./ letter, send copies of these complaints. My credit card co. has always been helpful with disputes. I think they support their card holders ( especially for smaller charges ( $100. less) ) If I had a problem with this co. and sent a copy of these complaints, I have no doubt, I would get a credit. Perhaps after many credit card co. have credited disputes, the attorney general will investigate, if it has not already. Good luck to all, any one who has no conscious over selling poor products, to loving pet parents, especially folks on social security or limited income, I encourage all who got scammed to contact your state attorney general, you can google your state, consumer complaints, good luck

• Sh
      26th of Sep, 2008

I also purchased a Peticure. I have had it a little over six months. I tried to turn it on lastnight and it wouldn't work. I charged the battery for a few hours and tried again. Nothing. I then tried to charge it over night. Still nothing. Dead. No power at all. I liked it the FEW times that I was able to use it. What a scam. BIG waste of money. I will stick with the rotary tool.

• Da
      25th of Sep, 2008

Holy crap, that guy is right. All it is...is a dremel hand/crafts tool! I'm going to Home Depot right now to get one. No wait, I already have one in my garage...lol. Thanks David Barge, that was a no brainer...so simple it's complicated type thing.

• Da
      25th of Sep, 2008

WELL...I was going to buy one today. Thanks to this complaint board for warning me now I'm not! PLEASE read on though. I did my own research and came back to this site to help others as they have helped me. Now, forget about PETICURE and PEDI PAWS!!! Go to www.Dremel.com and look up 'tools' then select 'rotary tools' and scroll all the way to the bottom. You'll find the Pet Nail Grooming Tool that YOU ALL ARE LOOKING FOR!!! :) your welcome

• Ca
      23rd of Sep, 2008

I was going to order one this afternoon, but after reading all the comments I will not be ordering one.

Thanks to everyone who wrote in about this product. Good luck to each of you in getting your money back.

Does anyone have any good comments about this product?

• Ka
      22nd of Sep, 2008

Boy I wish I had of found the complaints, before I ordered the "Peticure". Like so many of the comments, I read on this site, I was excited about getting one. I ordered it about 5 weeks ago. It came today. I'm pretty sure, some one has returned it, before I got it. some parts were already installed on the main part. I thought some of the parts were missing. My grand son helped me figure it out. I think I have all the parts. The directions said to charge it 6 hours before using it. Mine was already charged. I haven't tried it yet, I don't think it will work long, if at all. I paid $40 for this rip off. If I send it back, there goes another $10. I probably would not get any money back. I have not decided what I'll do about this rip off yet. I only hope other people who are thinking about ordering one will be smarter than, I was and read these comments, first. I never really thought of myself as being stupid, but I believe, I'm getting stupid in my old age. I got ripped off, with the" tweeze". If any body out there is thinking about ordering one DON't It is a rip off, too.

• Ga
      22nd of Sep, 2008

I want to thank everyone who came forward about this product...I was ready to order on line..when I happen to see the site for the comments..I have 4 chihuahuas and cutting nails is hard and painful and I thought this would be less tramatic but if it makes loud noises and it doesn't last..I don't want it...the dremel is a good idea and I would rather put my money on buying it and if it doesn't work on nails...I sure can use it elsewhere...i am so sorry those who purchased this product is having such a problem in getting parts or your money back..I sure hope they wind up in court or at least a class action suit...we can only hope...I usually don't buy these products off the TV or newpapers etc...I wait until they come to the stores and most of them do eventually(like to bed, bath & beyond) then I can look at them and if they are not what I want I can take it back to the store and get all my money back...Gail

20th of Sep, 2008

My wife and I have a dog kennel so nail clipping is, almost, a fulltime occupation.
    For years, we have used a battery-powered Dremel rotary tool...available at most hardware stores. Fairly cheap, replacement discs are readily available.

For what it's worth...it's a much better choice than this product

• Tr
      17th of Sep, 2008

I am so happy to read these reviews before I purchased a Peticure. Unfortunately, I just ordered its competitor, Pedipaws. I am furious that I was charged 7.99 S&H for a shedding comb that was included as a free gift! I am only happy that I paid with my Discover card because I can dispute the charges and get my money back. Good Luck to you all!