PetiCure.com / Defective product

1 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-626-7961

We bought a nail grooming tool from PETICURE.COM. The device is a sander for the nails on a dog. We were tired of clipping the nails, and the inherent danger of hurting the dogs by clipping to close the quick. We were excited about the idea of sanding the nail down. The device arrived about a month later and we used it right away. Great idea the dogs needed some training but took to it well. A few months later the unit would not turn on NO POWER! The battery would not hold a charge.

I finally connected with customer service and they refused any warranty past the 90 days. Apparently the call center is the only place you order a replacement battery and charger. They were quick to point out that had we bought the 2 year warranty (which we were not aware of), they would have replaced the unit free of charge within 6 weeks. The NEW battery is $9.95 ( if in fact it is a NEW battery)? The charger is $9.95 and the shipping charge is $7.30. They could not verify the shipping time as they are only a call center. Total cost for the replacement battery is twenty eight (28) dollars. This is half of original the value of my Elite Peticure. We are out $50 dollars for the unit and now the working model is $78 dollars?

The pet groomers around the country thought the product was a great idea too! Here is an excerpt that you will find interesting. Had I known this I would NEVER have purchased this product. As you will read in the link below, the unit has a serious defect that the company admits is a problem and much more. http://tinyurl.com/3xr4lg.

Ke

Comments

13th of Jul, 2008

I was upset with this company during my first five minutes (of a fifteen minute call) just trying to order one!! As I was waiting for my confirmation number, the recorded voice was pushing extra batteries, an upgrade to a larger size... It felt like a scam- they advertise the larger (59.00) one on TV, but you get the $29.00 one!! And there is no way of reaching anyone on the phone- emails go unanswered, my problem with this product is that I ordered it on 5/29/08, and they took my money out of my account, yet I still haven't received one! Even if there is a six week wait for them, I wasn't even sure the order went through, I never did get a confirmation number. After reading many complaints about this company, I just hope IF and WHEN I do get one, that it will work!!! If it doesn't work- when are they counting the actual date of purchase? When I ordered it, or when it actually came? Maybe thats why they wait six weeks to send it, so they can claim you had to return it within six weeks??

• Pe
      30th of Jul, 2008

I also bought a Peticure but the rotor was missing. They promissed to send one right away but a week has passed and I am still waiting. However, they have my money. I hope I will receive the parts I need soon.

• Kr
      30th of Jul, 2008

I purchased the peticure after seeing an advertisement on t.v. The ad price was for $29.95, but when I logged onto their website, I found out that in order to receive the correct one for my dog's size (he is 36 lbs), I would have to order the elite model ($49.99). Shipping was also $9.99. It took about one month to receive it by mail. It was fairly simple to put together (good instruction sheet with pictures and a safety instruction sheet as well). The noise isn't very loud, but I had to introduce it slowly to my dog for him to get used to it. I gave him milkbones while I turned it on and only did one paw for practice. The main problem I have is with the sanding bands slipping off the dremel tool while I am using it. I had to stop the machine several times and adjust the sanding band before I could continue. My dog's nails are quite tough therefore I feel I will be going through the sanding bands probably faster than what they normally predicted. I feel the product could be improved if a small guard or rubber lip were added to prevent the bands from slipping off the dremel head. I hope this review helps someone else in their decision to purchase the peticure tool.

• Sp
      30th of Jul, 2008

I have had the larger Peticure for about a month. the product is useless for a larger dog with big claws. The sanding band wears out before you even finish one claw. In addition it sands very slowly so if you are not doing it almost daily you will spent a great deal of time using this machine. On top of that it is nothing but a battery powered dremel tool you may already have around the house. I am going to the hardware store to experiment with a sanding wheel that will last longer and do a better job. If you got a big dog don't waste your money.

• Ly
      4th of Aug, 2008

Ordered this peticure elite and still have not receoived. Now that I am reading these complaints I am thinking of canceling order. If the money was taken from my credit card and I have not received it I am
    contacting the cosumer product bureau. It t

Took over 20 mins. to order this dumb thing all they do it push additional products.
    DO NOT BUY THIS ITem

this is a scam _ FROM READING ALL COMMENTS IT SEEMD YOU gO THROUGH ALOT OF SANDING BANDS FOR LARGER DOGS. WHAT A JOKE.

will make sure my compaint is to the bureau and put you jokers out of business. And I will!!!

How dare you take advantage of pet owners.

10th of Aug, 2008

I just received my Peticure this weekend (08/10/08) after waiting more than the 6 weeks indicated on acknowledgement of order. Followed directions completely. Tried to plug in the charger and it is defective; would not light up. Obviously no charge. Having read the previous comments, I feel that I have truly been ripped off.

• Bl
      11th of Aug, 2008

Thanx folks, I won't order one!

17th of Aug, 2008

Thank goodness I read the reviews before I ordered. Sounds like they need to improve the product AND customer service.
    I'm off to the hardware store to get a dremel...

• Mi
      22nd of Aug, 2008

I had a similarly bad experience with this shabby product.

I also do not order products off of TV, but have been frustrated in clipping my rottie's black nails and several times hitting the quick and causing her pain.

ORDER & DELIVERY
    So, I ordered and it took about 5-6 weeks to receive after I called several times.

ASSEMBLY
    Quite frustrating and difficult. The web site videos and instructions are insufficient. When I called their support, the CSR was rude and provided no help. But after a few days of playing with the unit I finally figured out a certain part needed to be simultaneously pressed while you unscrew the cap in orde rto be able to insert the filing drum barrel. This could have been easily explained ANYWHERE, but was completely left out.

NOISE
    They claim the noise is not bothersome to pets. This is a lie. My cat and dog both freaked out. It took several days to get my dog used to it and even then she was very scared - and my dog is very well trained to lie still while the worst things are done to her - this was more scary than injections, and anal probes at the vet. The cat was impossible.

EFFECTIVENESS
    It took a LONG time and the motor was EXTRAORDINARILY weak - it is definitely not strong enough to file a large dog's nails.

RELIABILITY
    None. The motor broke on the first real use within 20 minutes of using it.

RETURN
    Unsatisfactory. They claim it takes 30 days which is excessively long to process. Plus you have to pay for both shipping to you and shipping back to them. So, I had to pay $20 in shipping both ways, so in effect even if they refund the full $50, you will only a 60% refund for a horrible unit.

SUMMARY
    Do NOT under any circumstance buy this product. It is a scam.

• De
      23rd of Aug, 2008

Peticure.com, I ordered 1 peticure Petite Kit & 1 pack of filing bands, keep in mind this order was automated didn't get a price had to call the very next day to find out how much it was going to be the girl told me $54.97 so this is what I put in my check book. That was on 7/10/08 didn't get order until 8/4/08 then they sent me 1 Peticure Petite Kit at 25% off that I didn't order plus charged me extra S/H charges it hit my bank for$87.46 which caused me to accrue 2 Overdraft charges at that time.Now I'm on SS and most all my bills are auto draft at a certain time.so they did owe me$102.68 now they owe me much more LOTS More 1 because my Overdraft charges went up $3.00 so we are talking $33.00 overdraft fees .My Attorney told me I only authorized $54.97 and they Owe me for everything I have accrued becauseI didn't authorize that $87.46 so that is pretty good bit of money at this point.Now I've just printed out all the complaints .So I guess we are going to court.That's not even including my Gas & Aggravation at this point.Because you ask to speak to a Supervisor or the CEO and it just doesn't happen. So I guess before long this will be another Class Action Suit.

Good Luck to all,

23rd of Aug, 2008

Oh, by the way ask for a RMA No# that way you won't have to pay the return on S/H charges, Get Copy of it and Fax it to them, that is suppose to get you your S/H charges Plus copying cost of S/H charges and any other charges you have aqcuired. Please Keep Copies of evrything for youself as evidence!!!

23rd of Aug, 2008

Purchase date will be either on your bank statement or your Credit card statement.

• Mi
      23rd of Aug, 2008

I cant believe I am reading all these complaints, ( OR DO I ) How long has it been since anything that was made and or sold in this country that has been made to last more than a few months.

Doesn't everyone know by now that nothing is made well anymore and hasnt been for quite some time.
    Good luck in trying to get your money back...Its the American way.

• Ly
      24th of Aug, 2008

I asked my Vet about this product. He said I'd be better off buying a Dremel tool as the Peticure is battery operated. I still was interested but after reading the comments, I think I'll follow my vet's advice.

• Tr
      25th of Aug, 2008

After seeing the advert on TV I have to question if this tool makes the dogs nail warm to the point of burning?

I am a qualified nail technician (human) and have tested and personally experienced buffing/resurfacing/filing tools. Many of the tools have such high rotations that there can be a burning sensation on the nail bed. This is extrememly painful.

Is anyone aware if this happens with the advertised tool on pets nails. I have seen many comments about purchasing dremmels - the same caution should apply.

• Am
      25th of Aug, 2008

I would love to thank everyone who posted on this site, I too was going to purchase one, i thought-how neat of an invention. BUT seeming the page is nothing but bad stuff, I guess its a good thing i googles peticure.com or i wouldnt have found the bad comments. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE HONESTY AND COMPLAINTS, i dont think i will be scammed either. I am not buying it.
    To all of you who posted a comment, I hope you all get your money back and am sorry this has happened to you. Man i feel bad, even though i never actually bought the product yet. i never knew a complaint site even existed til i was getting ready to "purchase and find the peticure.com website, Instead I googled it and saw this site listed. i never even looked at the peticure site escpecially after reading all of the terrible things taht have happened to all of us trustworthy consumers.

Good luck everyone, i wish you all the best of luck in getting everything YOU deserve now that they have made hundreds probably even thousands on "us"

Amber

• Pa
      25th of Aug, 2008

I just finished looking at a site pedipaws.com and remembering about peticure.com, went to their site. Very nice presentation and videos. Then I went to google and read all these complaints. I fully agree with Amber in wishing everyone good luck getting your money back or any action you take against this company. Misrepresentation and apparent fraud is illegal.

We all love our pets, our "children", our babies and we want to do the best we know for them. I, too, thought this is a great idea since my four legged baby is a rescued 88 pound Labmation. Judging from his behavior when I brought him home, he had been abused, kicked and generally mistreated. Thankfully, he has overcome most of his fears and knows that I wouldn't hurt him. This Peticure or even the Pedipaws is something I'd never use on him or any animal. I tried an emery board for artificial nails, but he didn't like that.

Thank you to all who have posted these warnings. It's just a shame that we can't have faith and trust in these products to help our "kids". I'll look at a dremel tool, if not for his nails, I can always use it elsewhere.

• Jg
      26th of Aug, 2008

I thank everyone for placing these comments about the Peticure..I was seriously thinking about purchasing one for my dogs..I have two of them...My mind is now made up to NOT BUY one! Sorry that everyone had to get ripped off to learn about these scam artists!! Terrible that people are like this!!! Good luck to everyone who is trying to get their money back from these thieves!!!

• Mc

get lives, all of you

• Mu
      26th of Aug, 2008

you can easily use a chainsaw to trim any pets nails. it works wonders