Persels & Associates / Consumer Fraud

United States, Louisiana, Slidell Review updated:
Care One Credit Counselors
I was first enrolled in a debt resolution plan with Care One in 2008. My monthly payments for the settlement were almost as much as the credit card payments. I am on Social Security Disability and have a limited income. I was told in December of 08 that I qualified for the Senior Program and only had to pay a small monthly fee and that all debt would be eliminated. I was then turned over to Persels & Associates, Attorneys, who have done nothing but send out Cease and Desist letters. I was being harrassed by creditors daily. I tried on several occasions to get more information from this firm, but was always given excuses. I am now being sued by two of the credit card banks, and after faxing the information to Persels & Associates, was told that they never received any fax. I contacted Care One and the said I had been dropped three months ago. I have been paying my monthly payments, but Persels & Associates say I haven't paid since December 2008? DO NOT ENGAGE THESE COMPANIES IN ANY WAY BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT LEGITIMATE. THEY WILL DO NOTHING BUT TAKE YOUR MONEY AND THEN CLAIM YOU DIDN'T PAY.
I am currently working with a local attorney to file a suit against gthem for mental anguish and consumer fraud.

A  23rd of Sep, 2009 by
Hello everyone - I totally agree - dump them fast before you wind up in court! I started with them in February 2009. I had three outstanding debts that they were supposed to help me with. I am being sued by one company; have a letter of collection by another and the third one I could have settled for $1300.00 but Persels said don't do it and I wound up settling this one myself for over $3, 000. Anytime I called I was advised not to talk to the collectors or the debt companies and don't pay anything or I would lose my "leverage". When I was working out an agreement with this last company, they stated they had called Persels and did not receive a call back. I found out last week that when the company's lawyers who are suing me phoned them, they spoke to a representative there and all they were told was I had no funds to pay the debt. I was under the assumption that negotiations were going on since I signed up with Persels back in February. I found out by speaking to to a customer rep in August that they do not begin negotiating until 45% of any given beginning balance of debt is in my escrow account. I phoned Persels to tell them I was being sued and all I could get was a recording from Care One stating that their office is closed with no hours to phone or any other information except I can go on their website. I phoned 411 to check out their address on the letterhead and the operator said they had no listings for Persels at that address. When I could finally reach Persels, I was told there was no reason I shouldn't have been able to contact them. Yeah - right. Also, I found out from the customer rep that Persels will not be representing me in court. They don't do that. She apologized that no one told me I could be sued and apologized because I would not have representation. I later found out that they cannot be with me in court because they are not licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio. They had an attorney assigned to me in Ohio, however when I went to the American Bar Association and looked for him last week, he could not be found! Now I have also hired a local attorney and they are working on a case to sue them for me also. What a bunch - let me tell you! No wonder lawyers have a bad rap. I'm glad not all of them are like Persels!
A  21st of Apr, 2010 by
Persels & Associates are complete scammers. They did not settle one debt while I was in consolidation. They negotiated with no one because I even got a judgment against me while I was paying them fees on top of fees to avoid that very outcome! When they did nothing but take my money and offer me nothing in return, I opted to file bankruptcy through one of their referred attorneys. After they took out the fees, the lawyer they put me in contact with decided to retire and drop my case. Then P & A dropped me as a client. Now they say my account is "settled", and they have no idea where my escrowed funds went. This was after they told me it would be 10 to 14 days for me to get my money back.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Do not trust their BBB rating. For-profit credit counseling and debt consolidation companies are, without a doubt, COMPLETE CON ARTISTS. Persels & Associates is no exception. You will regret ever dealing with them. And you will be paying out your hard-earned money for nothing. You might as well take that money and file for bankruptcy right up front. You have been forewarned.