Persels and Associates / debt resolution program

1 Dublin, GA, United States Review updated:

4/25/09

For approximately 12 months I used Persel and Associates to help me with what I thought was going to be paying off my debts. Instead, they made a lot of money off of me and I have since had to file for bankruptcy. I was paying them 365.00 a month to put into my alleged account to be used to pay my creditors. I understood that they would be working with my creditors and attempting to get them to agree to a lesser amount of money to settle the account. I continued to receive phone calls from my creditors for several months after going under the plan, but Persels and Associates would always tell me I had nothing to worry about and to give them their number if they had any questions. To make a long story short, after 12 months I had to file bankruptcy because I was so far in debt I was about to start losing my property. None of my debts were ever payed off by Persels and Associates. NONE of them! 365.00 a month for 12 months is equal to 4380.00. Where did all that money go? I have no clue. When I dropped the program I received a refund for 274.00. That means that 4106.00 of my money went to Persels and Associates. Surely it couldn't all be for attorney's fees. The attorneys never actually did anything for me. They didn't go to court for me and they certainly didn't pay any debts for me. They didn't even talk with any of my creditors because my creditors continued to call me and I even had one of them file a judgement against me. This is when I decided to file bankruptcy. Don't make the same mistake I did. This company is a scam and they are making a fortune off a lot of innocent people who are having to deal with the stress of debt in this struggling economy.

Comments

• Pa
      15th of Jun, 2009

I have been on the program for 7 months. My creditors call and harrass me. I would've rather handled my debt myself than to pay a lawyer to do nothing for me! I can't even afford to pay the whopping $229 a month anymore. I am on the verge of bankruptcy and I'm out of pocket all the money that they gathered from me.

• Va
      21st of Sep, 2009

I've filed a complaint with the Maryland Attorney General's Office in Maryland and will be sending them copies of your complaints. I'm still waiting on my refund of $157.47 that should have been returned to me already. She told me 7-10 days and I'm on day 11.

• Tf
      9th of Oct, 2009

I think some people are misunderstanding the service that P&A provides. Your creditors can ignore P&A and still call you, they aren't supposed to, but a lot of creditors get away with it. About making payments to creditors, first the creditor has to agree to you only paying 50% or 60% of your total balance, but what if the creditor is holding out for more, what is P&A to do? P&A will wait them out and try and get it lower. P&A isn't going to make payments to your creditors until they have got them below 60% and they have agreed to those terms. In the terms and condition paper you signed and sent in to P&A clearly states that if the creditor wants their full payment, they will have to sue you. So P&A calls them to see if they agree to 60% or 50% of the balance due. The creditor doesn't have to agree to P&A's terms, they feel they are still owed the full balance. P&A can help recommend a good lawyer in your area but they will not help with your bankruptcy. I've been on P&A's program for 5 months now and I have noticed a decrease in phone calls, but one I do notice is that once a creditor gets a call or a letter from P&A, the creditor just sells it to a different collection agency so then that agency calls me, I tell P&A and P&A attempts to get them to come down to 60%. I believe that that is the reason you are getting calls still - the collectors are just switching companies. That is why you have to contact P&A each and every time you get a new collector calling/mailing you.

• Al
      22nd of Oct, 2009

I am using Persels and Associates. They did what they were hired to do, but it took 10 months for them to do it. I advice people to use a local attorney. Our paperwork went from one person after another. A total of 6 people handled our paperwork. When I called the office noone would rerturn my calls. If I did get to talk to someone they would tell me that our case would be filed next week. Next week never came. This has stretched out for 10 months. I have had to go to court and I have judgements against me. It has been a stressful nightmare. Our paperwork has finally reached a capable and competent lawyer in our area. We just met with him because he said that everyone else had messed up our file. I faxed and faxed and faxed my information to whoever was handling the file at that time. I did not understand what I was paying for when it seemed I was doing all the work. Save yourself alot of stress by using a local attorney!!!

• Or
      21st of Apr, 2010

Persels & Associates are complete scammers. They did not settle one debt while I was in consolidation. They negotiated with no one because I even got a judgment against me while I was paying them fees on top of fees to avoid that very outcome! When they did nothing but take my money and offer me nothing in return, I opted to file bankruptcy through one of their referred attorneys. After they took out the fees, the lawyer they put me in contact with decided to retire and drop my case. Then P & A dropped me as a client. Now they say my account is "settled", and they have no idea where my escrowed funds went. This was after they told me it would be 10 to 14 days for me to get my money back.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Do not trust their BBB rating. For-profit credit counseling and debt consolidation companies are, without a doubt, COMPLETE CON ARTISTS. Persels & Associates is no exception. You will regret ever dealing with them. And you will be paying out your hard-earned money for nothing. You might as well take that money and file for bankruptcy right up front. You have been forewarned.

3rd of May, 2010

It is easy to get lured in by the simplicity of debt settlement. One easy payment a month and within 2 to 5 years, you are debt free. The problem with debt settlement, nothing happens until the company you deal with, like Persels & Associates, gets their fees. I am embarrssed to say, but I got to the point I couldn't make my minimum monthly payments on seven credit cards. Immediately, I enrolled in this "great" plan. I was told the first six months would be all for their fees and half of the monthly payment for the next 12 would also go to fees. The problem is, the longer your debt sits with no arrangements, the likelyhood it is turned over to blood-sucking firms who aren't interested in settling and pursure legal action. Then the Persel attorneys play games with the paperwork that go back to these firms to "buy time" to get your escrow up so they have more to negotiate with. But what happened, is that two of the firms pushed the paperwork through the courts and in less than a year, I had two judgments against me that I had to pay IN FULL plus fees. I was on the program 13 months. I gave Persel almost $12000 in that time and they reached one agreement that was paid$4000. I have had to file for Chapter 13. When I canceled my agreement, Persels quickly processed it, emailing a cancellation letter that same day and stating a refund for escrow funds would be sent in 7-10 days. They couldn't care less, they got theirs on the front end, and that refund, a whopping $16.10 check showed up as stated. My bancruptcy attorneys are investigating my deal with Persels and have said a possible lawsuit should follow.
    My advise, get a free consultation with a reputable local attorney and weigh your options. Only Bancruptcy can completely protect you, but it comes with a cost, but so did my stint with Persels.