Pep Boys / rip off

United States Review updated:

I purchased a Baja 50cc ATV four wheeler from Pep Boys for my son. That was the worst mistake I have ever made! After 1 1/2 hours of driving time on this machine, it failed to start. I contacted Baja within the 90 day warranty period to let them know about the problem and they refused to fix it. Not to mention hanging up in my face. Pep Boys also refused to have any part of it. Pep boys did refer me to a hole in the wall mechanic shop, Acworth Cycle. Talk about a bunch of losers!!

I took Pep boys word that they were good and that they refer all of their ATV work to them. Boy do I feel like an idiot! I was quoted between $40-$60 dollars to clean the carburetor. And that it would be ready in 3 days. Ten days later, I contacted the mechanic and was told that my Baja 50 was just finished this day and that the cost of fixing it would be $250 by the owner of the place. When I questioned him as to why he would do unauthorized work on my machine without contacting me first, He told me that I should just come pay it and make my kid happy. Then told me if I brought him $215 cash, he would give me a discount. Hilarious! As we argued the point, he asked if I wanted them to put it back like it was. I told him yes! Then he told me... OK, I'll just *** it up then!!! Then he told me that that's what I get for buying a piece of sh#t! I was told that I would be contacted when they were finished f#cking up my machine so I can come pick it up. I apologize to any readers for the language in this letter. I am only quoting his words. Avoid any of these 3 companies mentioned here at all costs. I can't wait to have my day in court. They will all be summoned. Do not buy BAJA! Save yourself a lot of money and headaches. This BAJA 50 is still new and I'm sure that my child will never get to ride it again.
Va

Comments

Va
  7th of Oct, 2008
I’m writing you on behalf of my Mother a 68 year old Grandmother who was treated unjustly by PEPBOYS AUTO located at 850 Sunrise Hwy in Baldwin, NY 11510 phn: (516) 223-0600 – STORE# 283.
On Friday September 19th 2008 she took her 1996 Chrysler Cirrus in have the oil changed & N. Y State inspection done. They proceeded to tell her she needed a tune up. She was charged $589.37.

She drove home, which is only 5 minuets away parked the vehicle and did not drive until Sunday morning going to church, which is about 3 miles away. After church she proceeded to drive home and she saw smoke coming from the hood of the car.

She then decided to take the car back to PEPBOYS AUTO (5 minuets away) for them to review, by the time she arrived the car was on fire. The Baldwin fire department was called - located on 2386 Grand Ave Baldwin, N.Y. 11510 phn: 516-223-6858

The on duty assistance manager told my mother she would be reimbursed that PEPBOYS had insurance, rent a car if she needed to or take a taxi and to leave her car there they would put it in their service garage and to come back the on Monday 9/22/08 to speak to the auto service manager James Tristram.

When we talked to the manager there was a different story, “PEPBOYS did not cause the fire theirs nothing they could do”. He walked us to the service garage where we spoke to the mechanic Patrick McLean who was loud and seemed irritated by our presents. They left me and my mother standing in the service garage unsupervised by her car for several minuets.

We walked back into the store waiting for speak to the manager who ignored our presents and the assistance manager was too afraid to talk to us. I am appalled how we were treated with such disregard and that our concerns were not taken seriously. I have submitted a letter of complaint to one of our local news stations regarding this issue as we have heard several horror stories about PEPBOYS AUTO since my mothers’ occurrence just a few days ago.

This vehicle has never been out of New York State she only driven it to work, church, doctor and errands around town. She was over charged for the service (if it was needed at all) and was treated unfairly by senior management.
Fe
  28th of Mar, 2009
Just because this person had a bad experience with pep boys and the baja 4 wheelers dosent mean their junk. I purchaced a 90cc baja for my daughter going on 5 years ago now and it has never given any problems. I even ride it as an adult.
Your problem with your fifty is you used a dirty gas can, Rember dirt dont burn.. If you matain it and take care of it it will last 4 ever. (well all most)..

This is not your minivan where you take it to jiffy lube when the low oil light comes on.

Some people should stay away from anything mechanical for their own safety and everyone elses.

Folks, dont let the ravings of an un -educated ### decide what you will buy...
St
  14th of Nov, 2009
I have bought tires and service from pep boys for years and I went to Evansville In. store today were I have bought many sets of tires. I have a tire on the front of my Buick that has a viberation after 65 MPh. I wanted the store to check my tires and they told me it would cost me $21.99 for them to check it out.

I think that if I sold some body a set of tires and they were having trouble I would check the tire for them at no charge.

I will not spend another dollar at pep boys for anything and I am going to tell everybody I know what a Cheap outfitt you are to deal with.

I have 5 growen children that I got them to buy from pep boys. But no more.

I guess after you get peoples money any more you are not satisfifed you want to stick them every chance you get.
Ed
  14th of Nov, 2009
I was wrongful fire what can i do
Ru
  4th of Jan, 2010
I purchased a Baja 50 two years ago...it ran three times struggled to start every one of those. I'm having the carburator rebuilt as we speak. The gas was always fresh - just to counter the bonehead above who obviously has had a different experience. Would I recommend buying one..not a chance..perhaps the 90cc is that much better, but the 50... buy something else...
Ka
  6th of Feb, 2010
I have been running around for 4 years trying to clear my name on an account with Pep Boys. We stupidly bought a Baja from Pep Boys in Albuquerque. We took the 4 wheeler home to try it. The four wheeler would not run. We bought it back to the Pep Boys... their mechanics couldn't get it to run either. We said we wanted our money back (a check for $1600) and the manager said sorry it was already in the cash register. We told him we did not want the 4 wheeler and left it there. We called the next day and asked about getting our check back and they said it was being processed. We put a stop payment on the check. The manager of the store said he would take care of it. About a year down the road a collection company called and asked for the money. We explained the situation and that person said they would take care of it. Now 2 years later I found out by another collection company that they paid pep boys the $1600 and they still had the 4 wheeler... which was probably sold to another sucker for $1600... so they have the money and the four wheeler and we have law suits coming up. We called Pep Boys and got the run around and basically got pushed away. If there anyone with information on how to contact the highest person in the Pep Boy company... I would surely appreciate it. Please add an additional blog if you have any information. As I look around the web, many people would appreciate a call from Pep Boys owners.
Di
  21st of Mar, 2010
I wish to file an official complaint against Pep Boys located at 106 Market Place Blvd in Knoxville Tennessee and their service manager, Rober Helton.

While I understand that neither of these two email addresses found on your web site are specifically for customer service, I have issued this complaint to the only addresses available on the site after calling the customer service number which sent me to an answering service that never took my message. There appears to be no other means of contacting custermer service other than the customer service phone number listed on your web address, www.pepboys.com . After reaching the answering machine through the customer service line and awaiting the "beep" to leave a message, I was promptly disconnected. As a result, I am using the only means available to me to reach your customer service. Please ensure this message is passed on to the proper Pep Boys representative.

On the evening of Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, at 7:39:49, I dropped my 1998 Corvette off at the Pep Boys located at 106 Market Place Blvd for service to diagnose and repair the fact that my car would not start. The car was service for my car was coordinated by John Furnari. Prior to this problem, the car was running fine.

The next morning I was informed of the service needed and made a joint decision on the service requirements and cost of that service.

That afternoon when I called to check on the car, I was informed that they were still waiting on parts and that the car would not be ready until the following day. As a result, I had no choice but to make other arrangements for transportation. The next day, I was given a similar story and informed that additional services were needed on the car.

I authorized additional service at additional cost to me in good faith that the car would be ready and road worthy that afternoon. Following work on Friday, March 5th, at 3:07 pm, I paid for all services rendered and was given the keys to drive my car off the lot as though it were fully repaired and safe to drive. Instead, I discovered that the car was in very bad and dangerous running condition. Apparently, the mechanic who performed the work, Michael A. Daniel, chose to ignore those dangerous issues when deciding to release the car back to me, the customer.

Upon pulling out of the store, I discovered that the car would not change gears until it reached almost 4000 rpm's and that the car would not idle. The car died at each stop sign and red light encountered as I drove to return the car to the store. The car was unsafe to drive and was obviously not road worthy when released to me after full payment for services rendered.

Thankfully, an accident due to the condition of the car immediately upon release to me was avoided and I arrived back at the Pep Boys where services were rendered to inform them of the new problems caused by their work on the car - problems that did not exist prior to services performed by Pep Boys.

Upon my arrival, I was informed that they would not be able to re-assess my car until the following morning. I informed the service manager that I had paid in full almost $600 for their service that had taken a day and half longer than advertised and of my frustration and loss of confidence in the service provided by Pep Boys on my car. At the same time, I also informed the service manager of the fact that my car was unsafe to drive as a result of their service after being released to me as though it had been fully repaired. It was reiterated to me by the service manager that there was nothing he could do for me or my car until the following morning. As a result, I had no option other than to park the car at a friends house who lived close by and make transportation arrangements for yet another day.

The next moring, Saturday, March 6th 2010, I called the service department at Beaty Chevrolet and described in detail the services and parts performed by Pep Boys as well as the symptoms that were resultant of that service in hopes that the service department at the dealership might be able to repair the damage done by Pep Boys. I was informed that based upon the parts replaced, service provided, and the symptoms exhibited following the service, that the problem was a timing issue and that it took specific expertise and equipment to get the timing set properly after replacing the distributor as had been done by Pep Boys.

Unfortunately, the service department at Beaty could not service my car until the following Monday, so I reluctantly took the car back to Pep Boys at 10:03am on Saturday, March 6th 2010 - after calling them to gain assurance that they could and would fix the issues of dieing at stops (inability to idle when at rest) and the excessive RPM's required for the automatic transmission to shift gears - both problems that did not exist prior to work performed by Pep Boys at their facilities at 106 Market Place Blvd in Knoxville Tennessee.

I asked the service department at Pep Boys specifically if they had the equipment and expertise required to fix the car properly and they assured me that they did and would.

After waiting for a re-assessment by the mechanic, he came out of the garage and indicated to me that additional services would be required for my car to run properly. When I asked the mechanic why I should have to pay for additional services to repair problems that did not exist prior to his service on the car, he informed me that the car came in on a "trailer" and that he felt the car had these problems prior to his service on the car.

At that point, the service representative stepped in to take the mechanic back out to the shop, talked to him for a few moments, and returned to inform me that he had instructed the mechanic to go ahead and complete the remaining repairs to the car and that they would be completed at no additional cost to me.

I was also informed that, once again, they would need to order some parts to complete the repairs needed and that the car would not be ready until late that afternoon. Stranded, I called a friend to provide transportation once again while I waited on my car.

Late Saturday evening, at 5:52pm when the service department was preparing to close, I recieved a call informing me that my car was, once again, ready for me to pick up. Upon my arrival at Pep Boys, one of the service managers arrived after test driving my car and, once again, released the car to me as though it was repaired.

Once again, immediately after leaving Pep Boys, the same problems still existed and it was readily apparent to me that the service personnel at Pep Boys were simply incapable of repairing my car properly.

Leaving the car with my friend and making other transportation arrangements once again, I made the decision to have my car towed to the Chevrolet Dealership to be repaired properly and avoid the potential of an accident while driving the car in its condition following iterative attempts at repair by Pep Boys.

Today is Sunday, March 7, 2010, a full three after seeking service and repair to my car at Pep Boys and I am still stranded without transportation. If not for the kindness of friends and availability of resources to rent a car for transportation, I would still be completely stranded due to the condition of my car following Pep Boys failed attempts at servicing it properly.

This afternoon, I will have my car towed to the Chevrolet Dealership for repair and rent another car in order to get to work Monday morning.

I am very disgruntled with the service attempts, misrepresentations, and incompetence demonstrated by both the managers and the mechanic who were involved with the work on my car. My time is worth a lot to me, particularly on the weekends. Not only have I lost transportation during these failed service attempts, I have lost time in waiting.

It is my contention that a full refund for the amount I paid to Pep Boys to repair my car is the very least that Pep Boys should do at this point. In addition, the executive management at Pep Boys should be made aware of the potential liabilities associated with this kind of incompetence. Had an accident occurred, Pep Boys would be fully liable for all harms done as a result of the accident.

It is my hope that this is an isolated incident and that the executive management at Pep Boys will take immediate action to remedy this potentially tragic situation.

Please forward this complaint to the customer service department for Pep Boys and ask them to get back to me with a response.
Su
  30th of Sep, 2010
first of all pepboys doesnt make any of these baja'sm so you cant blame them for that, and another thing you should have called baja and not return it and leave it at the store like an a$$ but thats your fault, i understand you want and atv but guess what, do some research before buying something
Me
  14th of Feb, 2011
I saw an ad for pep boy buy 3 tires get one Free. Well that is a lie and you get rippedoff. You spend more than the free tire on the "Tire Installation Package" for $131.84. Then you can;t take your tires they Pep Boys must dispose of them. Where in their used tire dept????? You pay for this and that. So for a free $118.99tire I got soaked for $131.84 wht did I say NOTHING. I could of gone to flea market and got the same tires cheaper. Never will I darken Pep Boys door again and I will tell all my family and friends about this rip off. A whole $12.85 saved wow.
Po
  15th of Feb, 2011
Installation isn't free.
Go
  22nd of Mar, 2011
Hmm... wow! Depsite all the negative press, I am still thinking of buying a used one I see for sale. I will check it out, and if it starts great and runs great, and sounds great... I will probably buy it. However, I also realize this is not a Honda so my expectations won't be too high. Everything is a gamble these days.
Sa
  4th of Apr, 2013
I brought my car in for inspection this morning between 8am-9. I left it with them because there was 4 inspections ahead of me. I waited until 12-12:30 and called them to see how it was going. they then told me that my car was going to fail inspection and gave me a long list of things. needed a new tire, a ball joint, back brakes, boots, battery mount, etc then told me what the cost was going to be. told me $1, 500.00... I told him that I would call back in 20 minutes. I had to think about if it was worth the cost or not. (I had put my car in there a month ago and it had cost me $1, 500.00 too. a few months before that, they had told me that my engine needed to be rebuilt and sent me to American auto. that cost me $2.800.00. the year before that, they charged me $1, 600.00 for car repairs) I bought my car for $2, 900.00 and was actually getting sick and tired of spending all this money on it. they called me back, saying they thought they might have missed my call back. I then told them to put a fail sticker on the car, that I wasn't putting anymore in it. he then seen an error. he stated the computer added the total twice, bringing the total up to 1, 500.00. he told me the actual was $900.00 plus a 10% discount, bringing it down to $810.00. then again I told him I would call back in 5 minutes. I had to think more... I thought "no, that's it. its' time to give up my car" I called my dad and told him. dad said "get a second opinion". I called back, told them to put the fail sticker on my car and that I would be up to get it. he told me to give them 30 minutes to put the tire back on. I went, paid the $16.00 inspection cost, left and drove to a garage up the road. I explained to the mechanic about pep boys, he asked for the paperwork, I gave it to him, and he went to work. he checked everything that was on pep boys list. he told me that pep boys was trying to rip me off. that all that was wrong with my car was it needed one boot, one side reflector light, and a battery mount. he told me to go to advance auto and get a mount and boot. I did, went back, he fixed it. he fixed the light. he charged me ONLY $26.00 and passed my car for inspection. I will "Never" go back to pep boys again. I have been going to pep boys for the last 7 years and trusted them with my car. now, I feel that they took advantage for all these years. it is already hard enough being a single, working mom. now to think of how much money i spent that i didn't need too, just breaks my heart...i feel like pep boys stole from my family. money i could of used for my children, for food, for bills. i cannot believe that this company can sleep at night knowing they rip people off. rip people off that really could of used the money for their families. SHAME on them!!!
Jo
  20th of Sep, 2015
Had to buy a $ 50 Replacement Policy for $ 5.99 Automatic
returned it ask what this " O they told me it comes with it and I can't buy the light without it " Scame written all over it

Pep Boys Logo Pep Boys