PeoplePC.com / Charged for canceled account

1 IN, United States Review updated:

I spoke to an online rep for Peoplepc and was told my account was canceled in October. I knew this couldn't be right since I didn't even sign up until November. I called and was told the same thing, that my account was canceled in October. I spoke to an online rep who canceled my account and gave me a confirmation #. I canceled before my billing date and guess what... I was charged 10.95. When I called and spoke to rep Rose, she told me she didn't see where I was charged, well I was looking right at in on my statement. She told be to call back in a few days for a refund. She would not let me speak to a supervisor. She put me on hold for several minutes. She would not give me an answer as to why they fraudulently charged me AFTER I canceled my account. Two reps have assured me that my account is canceled although I still have access to my account and it shows me as having my next billing date 1/18/2008. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND PEOPLEPC TO ANYONE, NOT EVEN THE 30 FREE TRIAL.

Ca

Comments

• Ba
      13th of Dec, 2007
    PeoplePC.com - Continued deduction from checking acct even though cancelled service on July 24, 2007
    PeoplePC.com
    Bartonville
    Illinois

I have had home internet with PeoplePC.com and cancelled service on July 24, 2007. While going through my checking acct records noticed that they have continuously been taking the monthly charge out of my acct even though I cancelled my service with them.

I tried to contact them and was told that because I did not have the confirmation # of the cancellation that they would not be able to give me the funds back in full. They stated that they would only give me one month back. Then I was treated rudely and put on mute and not spoken to until I finally hung up the phone.

I called back and asked for supervisor and would not speak to anyone else. Still did not get appropriate refund and want everyone to know that PeoplePC.com is pulling the same scam that AOL once did.

• Sc
      20th of Dec, 2007

Have you tried to contact BBB to get some type of resolution regarding the matter? I think they would be a good mediator.

Pablo.

9th of Jan, 2008

I HAVE HAD A PEOPLEPC ACCOUNT FOR SEVERAL YEARS. WE HAVE CALLED TECHNICAL SERVICE WITH NO HELP. OUR OLD COMPUTER CRASHED SEVERAL MONTHS AGO. WE GOT A LAPTOP FOR CHRISTMAS AND WE ARE NOT GETTING PEOPLEPC EMAIL. WHEN I TRIED TO SEND A EMAIL, IT WOULD NOT EVEN SEND. fOR THESE FOUR MONTHS WE HAVE NOT HAD A COMPUTER WE HAD NOT MISSED A PAYMENT ASSUMING YOU WOULD CONTINUE OUR SERVICE. IF YOU WILL NOT GIVE US OUR OLD EMAIL, ADDRESS BOOK INFO THEN I EXPECT MONEY BACK IMMEDIATELY SO WE CAN GET A REPUTABLE SERVICE, A COMPANY THAT WILL HELP US GET BACK TO USING OUR ACCOUNT. i PAY BY BANK DRAFT. YOU HAVE THAT INFORMATION. CALL BOB OR JODY NELSON, 601 992-0387. I DO NOT WANT TO PUT ADDRESS ON EMAIL SINCE YOU SHOW COMPLAINTS. JODYNELSON@PEOPLEPC.COM

• Sh
      17th of Jan, 2008

I am not able to send my emails the way I have always been able to. mailer deamon keeps sending them back . These are address's I have used all along and now with this new progam PeoplePC they won't go through. This is rediculas. Can something be done about this. Mailer demon won't even respond to my emails. They just send them back. Are peoplepc in control of their own program or is someone else. And to think that I paid for a full year of service to this company. Maybe I should report this to AARP since they are representing this company. Whatever it takes to get this bug out of here so I can use my PC the way I would like to. I do not like being controled by some unknown DEMON!!! Since you sell addresses I will not put my full address here. I don't need any spam mail and anything junky. Thank you. Even tho I can hardly expect you to do anything as is it has been shown from above letters. At least I tried,.

4th of Feb, 2008

Please cancel my account with People PC. You may have another email address for me. That one is gordmaxdean@Juno.com. Please confirm the cancellation of my account. Thank You.

4th of Feb, 2008

Please cancel my account with PeoplePC. Thank you.
    gordmaxdean@Juno.com and gormaxd@Gmail.com

4th of Feb, 2008

Please cancel my account with People PC. Thank You.
    gordmaxdean@juno.com and gormaxd@Gmail.

• Ds
      12th of Feb, 2008

I am another dissatisified peoplepc account holder. When peoplepc stole money from my account following my cancellation of peoplepc then denied accknowledgement of cancellation and refused to reimburse my account for "funds stolen", I decided the only safe dealing with crooks like these are none at all. Changing your credit card # is the only safe solution of dealings with these crooks!!!

• Wi
      19th of Feb, 2008

I have been trying to speak to someone about cancelling my Peoplepc account. But to no avail. I would like to cancell. PLEASE!!!!. I have'nt used peoplepc for at least a year and I'm still being charged a monthly fee. Please cancell me out and send me a varification e-mail, Thank You.
    William Ballard

• Je
      20th of Feb, 2008

In the end of december 2007 I switched from AOL for a free (sure) 30 day trail offer. After two weeks and 50 headaches I called and told PPC I was going back to AOL and uninstalling PPC from my system which I did . Today Iwas billed on my phone bill for 13.45 and don't know why. It's not the money it's the huge companys getting over on the people that trust the sorry money-hungry turds to be nice as I can be here. Jerry Parker , COAL MINER . Van ,WV 25206 IT'S PEOPLE LIKE THAT IS WHY PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING IN THE STREETS IN THE RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. iPUT ALOT OF THE BLAME ON OUR GOVERNMENT AND mr. bush!!!

• Da
      10th of Mar, 2008

I was having computer issues a couple weeks ago and cancelled my cable high speed internet since I wasn't able to get online for such a long time. Their customer support couldn't seem to locate the problem so I cancelled. I took my computer to a shot to get "fixed" and was told there was no problem. I had a PeoplePC CD I received in the mail and opted to try that. It didn't work. The set up process "Failed." I called People PC through the 800 555 1212 and called whatever number I was giving. It was the sales department. I informed the gentleman who answered that I wasn't keen on giving my personal debit card information if I couldn't get online and that I tried the CD but it didn't work. I wanted to make sure it worked first before I pay. (In the past, it's been difficult to cancel service once you start paying...not only that, it's difficult to get them to stop charging you once you've cancelled). He informed me that he couldn't help me but that it wouldn't do much good to transfer me to tech support since they won't help me unless I'm a customer but that he would do it anyway. I asked him why he was going to transfer me there if they wouldn't help me. All I wanted to know was why I couldn't get connected to the internet through them. He told me three or four times to just give him my card number. I told him, "no, I don't want to give you that because why would I want you to charge me if I can't use your service?" He said, "Ma'am, it's ten bucks." This annoyed me because I'm sorry. I'm a student and single mom and ten bucks is A LOT OF MONEY for me and I don't appreciate the way he spoke to me. I told him he didn't need to be an ###, that all I wanted to do was to see why the CD wasn't working. Once it got me online, I'd be more than happy to give my card info. I just didn't want to keep getting charged for something that I wasn't able to use. He hesitated for a moment and then said, "[censored] off and don't ever call here again." Then he hung up. This bothers me still even though it was a couple weeks ago. I shouldn't have said he was being an ### to me but in turn he most certainly didn't have a right to be so rude and treat a potential customer like that. I find it hard to believe they were voted best customer service in 2006. Here it is 2008 and I would rather pay the $45 a month for service through the company that took the time to go through the set up process with me and figure out what was wrong then be treated like crap and just want money. People PC, you should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing your employees to behave in such a manner. I will NEVER go through you again and nor will my friends and family...

10th of Apr, 2008

Complaints on "PeoplePC"
    Read more complaints on this Company
    PeoplePC

P.O. Box 26909
    San Francisco, California
    Phone: 631-649-4393
    www.peoplepc.com

I signed up for a 30-day free trial of PeoplePC back in November. I had gotten points through a reward program for signing up. I never once even installed it on my computer. I have internet through my cable company.

So I canceled after 3 days. I was told that everything was canceled and I would no longer be billed. So 4 months go by and my credit card had been compromised and was canceled. A few days later I get a call from PeoplePc telling me that my monthly fee could not be processed. so I called them and they tell me that when I had never canceled their service. Apparently, I had been billed every month, unknowingly. I told them that I had canceled after only a few days during my free trial and that I wanted the account closed.

PeoplePC refused to close the account until I paid them the balance on the account due to my card being declined. I continued to explain to them that I have never even used their services and that I had been fraudulently billed for the past 4 months. So that call got me nowhere.

So every day, their billing department calls about 5 times a day to collect the balance on the account. I have spoken with 14 reps and 5 supervisors. All of which have claimed they could not help me. They claim that they cannot close an account that has a balance on it.

So the harassing calls keep coming every day. Eventually I had enough. I typed out a nice letter to the California State Attorney General. I made one last attempt and called them to rectify the issue. I got some Indian guy on the phone named Bob (yeah... ok). Bob connected me with a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor the situation and informed him that if the matter could not be addressed while I was on the phone that I would be mailing my letter out to the California State Attorney General in the morning. I then proceeded to read my letter to him to let him know that I wasn't just bs'ing. Amazingly enough, he was able to go right in and zero out the balance on the account and close it. So you would think that would be the end of it, right?

WRONG!!! Every day I am still getting at least 3-5 calls per day from their billing department. When I ask why they are calling, they start to say "There is a balance on your account of...um...zero dollars." I then proceed to tell them to stop calling me or I will file a harassment suit. I have spoken with several reps and several supervisors SINCE my account has been closed (again) and NOBODY can tell me why I am continuallt being called. So today again (at 8am) they are calling me again.

So I am writing this complaint to warn everyone to STAY AWAY from PeoplePC. It is a horrible company. I will be sending out my letter to the California State Attorney General's office later today, as well as filing a complaint with the BBB. Not that the BBB really does anything. If you have similar issues with PeoplePC, I recommend contacting the Attorney General in their state. If they receive enough complaints, they will go after them. The BBB really can't do much other than send them a letter telling them they have a complaint. So the BBB is pretty useless in my opinion.

10th of Apr, 2008

• Wa
      21st of Apr, 2008

My experience with PEOPLE PC has been dreadful.I also contacted them through AARP-they readily sent me their cd to down-load, with in a couple of days I called in to cancel the service.I went with a local internet svc.I was given a cancelation #, I wrote it down on something that got got misplaced or thrown away, I didn't realize the need to keep up with it until I started to notice they were continueing to take their fee out of my checking acc.I called and spoke with a man named EARL-telling him what was happing with the people pc acc.My next bank statement, they still took out money out of my acc.I called again-speaking with another man(they all sound foreign)I went through all the riggamaro from the very start-he had the nerve to tell me they didn't give refunds, even though there was no activity on my acc.since Jan of 08-I sent in acomplaint to the consumer generals office, They e-mailed me back a appreciation letter. They assured me that they would check on the matter for me. Time will only tell if I get a refund or not.It has taught me a valueable lesson in keeping a record of of all transactions. I won't let this happen to me again.

• Ro
      9th of Jun, 2008

I have not been able to sent an e-mail for three months. You do not have any trouble debiting my account for monthly payment. I am fed up to my eye brows. I want this crap to cease. I want to send out e-mails without your present system. I am fed up verifying over and over again in that pop-up of yours without results. I expect a response from you in return saying the problem is solved

10th of Jun, 2008

I am being billed for $10.95 per month for an account that I do not have. The only solution is probably one more class action suit against PEOPLEPC.

• Ke
      15th of Jul, 2008

same exact proplem!

• Tr
      29th of Jan, 2009

I agree with everyone. I have been cancelling my service for the last 2 years. I have done this over and over again. On Dec 22 2008 they charged me $54. For services I do not have. They also had a charge for $38. After 45 minutes on the phone with them my results were they would refund me $15. I would not recommend anyone use their services. I would rather do with out. I find it easier to use the library. I will not use any dial up service again. The time I did use the service I had very poor service. My internet was slow. I also experienced alot of freeze ups. I had high speed what a joke.

• Me
      17th of Feb, 2009

I would like to have my email addresses forwarded to mettiezoa@yahoo.com. I lost all of them to peopelpc.com when my account was cancelled.

• Me
      17th of Feb, 2009

Was satisfied with peopelpc., but had to cut costs.