Pentax K20D, K7 / Long exposure issues

I currently own a Pentax K20D and I am very disappointed with my dealings with Pentax representatives. Either the lack of responses, the indifference, or the rudeness in the replies I had received greatly concerns me. Pentax is a fledgling camera company and one might think they should bend over backwards to try to appease their customers. I see no evidence that they care.

When the K7 was announced, I was excited that finally they have dealt with the NR (noise reduction) problem but now I am double disappointed that the K7 has the same problem. Am I the only customer who has complained about this problem? Or Pentax just doesn't care?

There is a serious limitation with K20D that makes bulb exposures extremely difficult and tedious. It involves mandatory noise reduction which doubles every exposure.

Why is this a problem?

This affects nearly all my night time photography. I enjoy taking photos of star trails in my back yard. For example, a 10 minute exposure will take a total of 20 minutes to complete. Last week I wanted to capture lightning, generally I will leave the shutter opened for a minute or more. It was so frustrating because I missed so many potentially great shots because the Pentax K20D was busy doing its noise reduction! Why oh why can't I shut this off?

I talked to my Nikon and Canon friends and they are amazed. One spent 20 minutes flipping through menus, convinced that there must be a way to turn of NR. Finally, the complaints found on the pentaxforums confirmed this is a known problem.

Since this problem still exists with the K7 and there are no signs that Pentax cares to offer a solution, Pentax has lost me as a customer. I will be selling all my Pentax equipment on eBay by September, if I see no solution.

A  27th of Aug, 2009 by
I loved my K20D until I fell in love with long exposure photography.
I do a lot of ND filtering in daylight and lightpainting in the dark and I was appalled when I realized there was no way to turn NR off!
Now that I've spent $600 + on my camera just last year I'm stuck with it! It seems like there would be a easy firmware fix to enable theis to be turned off but with the advent of the K-7 those of us in the "Dark-ages" with the K20D are left without support or upgrades.
Seriously disappointed, I'll be selling as well and going with Nikon or Canon
A  15th of Oct, 2009 by
I've had my K20D two freaking days and couldn't understand why the camera was locked up for 5 minutes after taking a 5 minute exposuer in bulb mode. I've just found this thread at random trying to google what the problem is.

This is absolutely ridiculous!!! Surely there's someone at Pentax to talk to about this?
A  22nd of Jul, 2010 by
There seem to be more and more disappointed Pentaxians every day - not to mention Samsung GX users. I´m one. Nor Canon nor Nikon would be in the front row with this attitude towards their customers.
A  9th of Nov, 2010 by
THIS HAS TO BE FIXED!!! I've spent way too much on lenses and stuff to go with another company now. Ahhhh. So frusterating. They should have firmware thing available to fix this on k7