Pentagroup Financial / Fraud and cheating

Pentagroup Financial
I had filed a report on Pentagroup Financial when one of their collectors illegally took money out of my bank account. When my bank ascertained that this was indeed fraud they returned the bank draft to the company unpaid. A few days after this I received the anticipated phone call from a rude rep who stated that he was now working on my account and wondered what had happened. When I tried to explain it to him he stated that he had already read my report on https://www.complaintsboard.com and the company and Mr. Fitzpatrick could sue me for defamation of character.

When I asked him why they look themselves up on the web site, he stated that they do it for laughs. He then proceeded to tell me all of the things he could sue me for, but when I would ask him if he was threatening to sue me he would back off, I guess even this genius knows the basics of the FDCPA.

He then passed me over to the original collector who informed that if he had wanted to he would have taken all of my money out of my account and there would be nothing I could do about it. I guess I was lucky that he only tried to take out 200 illegally. DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! They will lie, threaten, yell at you and basically flaunt all provisions of the FDCPA in order to make their meager commissions. When I called the original creditor they were happy to let me pay what I owe directly to them, I suggest anyone who gets a phone call or letter from Pentagroup Financial contact the original lender and deal directly with them.

N  24th of Mar, 2009 by

Pentagroup Financial - Unauthorized charges
Pentagroup Financial

Not only were their representatives rude and harassing, they also refused to provide me with any identifying information aside from first names. They called my relatives and left threatening messages. Once my account was supposedly settled with them, they refused to send any confirmation of payment and/or settlement of my account. This was back in September.

About a week ago, I received a court summons from the original creditor claiming that the settlement amount remain unpaid, even though the Pentagroup representative I spoke with told me over the phone that once they had received my payment, my account was settled in full.

These people are shady, dishonest, entirely rude, and not helpful. The fact that companies such as this are allowed to exist disgusts me -- I would have been happy to pay what I owed if I had been dealing with decent people.
A  7th of Apr, 2009 by
These guys are mud slingers...throw it against the wall and see what sticks. They have very little sophistication when it comes to collections and just rely on the rule of 1 out of 10. Repeatedly get calls for someone who has my exact same name and they refuse to believe that I am not him...they are rude and poor investigators.

Someone needs to investigate them immediately.
A  29th of Jun, 2009 by
I was harassed by Renee Russo a collector from Pentagroup. I wasn't even the party she was looking for. When I filled a complaint with the BBB the company denied charges and tried to turn the complaint around on me. They are liars and enjoy being abusive. I suggest you ckeck the BBB. They have an F rating and have had numerous complaints. I don't know how or why a company would be allowed to operate this way. They should be out of business.
A  4th of Sep, 2009 by
I have just hung up on one of your debt collectors because of his rudness and lack of the law.

Many years ago I had a Washington Mutual credit card (or a card that was bought by them). I had a good job and was planning to get a part-time job to augment our social security benefits when I retired. My husband was retired and his ceiling was not with the times (even though he started with the maximum allowed at that time) and his 20% disability check vas very small and certainly no help.

A few years before I retired, we bought a house which would house my daughter's family and us. In renovating it, we ran into major work and spent more money than we had anticipated. I was told at work that I would not be getting any more raises because I made too much money. Well, our bed was made and we tried to make the best of it. My daughter got a second job so she could make ends meet. She had to give up precious time with my young granddaughter so she could work as much as possiblle.

The last few months before I retired by Hep C had damaged my liver enough to put me on a transplant list and was damaging my well-bearing body. My husband's kidneys were being watched at this time with kidney failure possible in the future. Medicare's donut hole hurt me tremendously and any part-time job was out of the question.

At this time, I was still paying Washington Mutual but with a lot of difficulty. Our credit became affected and all interest amounts went up. We found that we were paying late fees and most of the interest each month, but nothing else.

My home is waiting for a short sale to go through, but we will not see a penny. When we moved, almost a year ago, we knew we would lose our car, but with our bad credit interest was more than double the going rate. When they picked up our car, we were left in a strange state and city. I live in an apartment which is not walking distance from any stores. I have a friend who lives close-by and a neighbor who befriended us, and who are kind enough to drop us at the grocery store or pick-up bread for us. No one delivers here so everything is hard to get. The taxi service is not too expensive, but ten to twelve dollars added to a grocery bill does add up.

I have not been able to go to my appointment at Shands Transplant Clinic in Gainsville and my husband had to change is VA appointments to a closer office. In the meantime, my husband's kidneys completely shut down and he goes to dialysis 3x a week. We are both eligible to the ADA transportation at a reduced fee, but we have to know a few days ahead of time so we can reserve a seat. Both our social security and his disability payments give us an income ab0ut $1, 000 too much to be eligible for assistance with most services especially since they do not count your expenses.

When your representative called he only wanted us to make arrangements to repay a debt, and he insinuated we had no right to buy food or drugs when we owed this money. I told him that the law says our social security and disability cannot be touched to repay this debt and unfortunately we had no assets. Just keeping my present bills paid (no charges, no entertainment, so car payments--no car) is creative. We had to give up our cell phones (which are really needed since we are waiting to hear about transplants) because this was not an essential expense at this time. Our oldest grandchild had a Bat Mitzvah when she became 13 years of age and we could not get to New York. We have exhausted every avenue and are not giving up. I also told him being nasty is certainly not going to help him collect any month if and when, we are able to pay all our our old creditors.

Old age is not the golden years and 50 years of working never allows for the inevitable. All the money you save during your working years, an go very qiuckly with just one unexpected turn of events. I am sorry I did not get your representative's name because he deserves to be treated the same as he treats people he calls. G-d knows how to get even some where down the line and I have confidence in his long memory.

Fran Goodman
A  1st of Mar, 2011 by
I agree that this group of people or the persons who represent this agency lack in professionalism and the ability to effective deal with the public. I have been yelled at, threaten and accused of things without complete and thorough research on the part of the organization. I have sought out legal advice and I plan to adhere to that advice based on the laws established to protect the payee of such behaviors demonstrated by debt collectors.
A  17th of May, 2011 by
A couple of weeks ago, Pentagroup took money out of my account after I called them prior to the money to be taken out to let them know that I needed to cancel the check from coming through my bank. Pentagroup withdrew the money anyway and caused my bank account to be overdrawn. I immediately called them to see what happened and they tried to tell me that there was not a record of the call where I left a message for them not to withdraw the money from my account.
I am still trying to get them to reverse the fees that were charged to my bank account as it was their error, and they are refusing to do so. I am presently seeking legal council to see what can be done to get the fees reversed on my account.
I wouldn't advise anyone to talk to Pentagroup to set up arrangements to pay off a debt and definately do not give them your account information because they will take money out without your authorization.
N  21st of Mar, 2012 by

Pentagroup Financial - No Business Ethic

Since November of 2011 I have been paying $50 a month on collection and then today I look at my bank account and they had overdrawn my account by taking out $647 that i did not authorize I called them and they said that it must have been preauthorized or they would not have taken it out!!! This place is a joke and I highly suggest not using them. They show no business ethic and they do not hold up to their end of their agreements.
N  28th of Mar, 2016 by
I would suggest researching your states consumer protection laws contacting your attorney generals office (the FTC is aware of the problem but doesn't want to get involved). I know for a fact in some states (if not all) most of the practices they implement such as calling third parties, misrepresenting themselves, threatening lawsuits or even criminal prosecution etc... are in fact illegal. As well you might want to file complaints against the companies that turned your loans over to these crooks. And you might want to steer clear of companies like verizon, Bank of america, suntrust capital one, regions bank, commerce bank, wells fargo, dell financia, l chrysler financial, advanta bank, and chase(as well as companies that attended the national collections credit risk and conference) as they have all used pentagroup for debt collection. please spread this information around to as many people as possible.