PcTools / Scam and cheating!

England, Humberside, United Kingdom Review updated:
4.6
Purchased and downloaded SpyDoctor from pctools, worked great until it automatically updated and now it just crashes my system. Emailed PcTools several times with no response. Now i am going to contact my credit card provider and retrieve the money back from them. Oh how ironic the head office is in Ireland... blatatant Pikeys... has anybody else found a problem with them?? PcTools that is not Pikeys.
Ad

Comments

Ju
  7th of Aug, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
oh i so agree! i have had enough of pc tools - they are the biggest virus going! they have taken money out of my account 3 times last year and twice this year for ONE product! i am still fighting to get my money back. they fob you off with contacting their billing provider "element 5" - which is in AMERICA! Like i am going to cal america! sent tons of emails and keep going round in circles - next step solicitor. I even changed my status on my pc tools account from "automatic" renewal to "manual" renewal - but they still took my bloody money!!
St
  3rd of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Had same problem with P C tools .Wont respond to emails.
Cannot cancel acount . Will make sure they dont take the
out this year.
Fr
  3rd of Sep, 2008
The OFT should step in and take action against PC Tools
Rw
  7th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Not only that - it "renews your license" every year on the same date - charging you another fee to "subscribe".

I followed all the links to cancel that sub., which I didn't know I was joining, and if they don't cancel me, this is the next class-action lawsuit against shady online marketing.
Lf
  29th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I "lost" my credit card and had to get it replaced
with a new one before my subsription was due to be renewed only sure way I know of too end the problem
Ra
  3rd of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
ive had the same problem. In spite of emailing my cancellation each year they still continue to take an annual subscription. Surely this is fraud and theft. Im contacting the police and Trading Standards on Monday.
Sh
  25th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I had problems with Spyware, I no longer run it and last week saw I had been charged $39.95 for it on my bank statement. I sent them an email and heard nothing back. Then I realized they had answered me through the ticket system but did not send me an email to tell me that they had responded. They said I had agreed to auto-renewal, um really? Anyway aftersending multiple tickets and calling them I am to have the money refunded into my bank account. So let's see and wait if it happens. In the meantime I am going to cancel my card and get a new one, just incase.
Ry
  10th of Mar, 2009
PC Tools is ###. i find it so odd that they are the highest recommended all over the place. like many other people i purchased spyware doctor. i purchased a year ago...a week after purchased i updated and it crashed both of my computers. i uninstalled and everything went back to normal. i thought i canceled my account, but i guess not. cuz march 6th 2009 there was an automatic charge on my checking account for $29.95 to renew my subscription. i called them up told them i wanted to cancel my account and i wanted my money put back. no problem. the money was put back and i thought my account was done. today march 10th, four days later, i get another charge of $30.19 on my account from them. i try to get on the phone with them yet once again. i started to get weird ### from their phones. i kept getitng the first two words of there automated system and my phone would hang up...each time. after a while of that id get the familiar "do do do" sound it would tell me that the number did not exist. and now for the past couple hours all i get is a busy signal. i went to my bank to see what they could do. they couldnt put the money back into my account because i gave them previous authorization to charge me when i bought the product he first time. which sucks, but whatever. i changed my card so i shouldnt be charged again, but id still like my money back. another weird thing is the first charge that was made was from the USA branch. they refunded me blah blah blah...i had my bank trace the charge that was placed today, and it came from the Europe branch. i dont get it...
Ar
  22nd of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I downloaded Spyware Doctor trial version witha part of google pack and it seem works fine it removed all trojan and harmfull adwares, then two weeks ago i decided purchased this program but that was big mistake, i never got my f... lisence now i have send them several e mails and all what i got is automatic replay that be a patience because they have so much work to do it takes a while answer.So i wrote them 10 min ago that i am pissed off and i let Visa solved this out . And i also have to shutdown my account that i can sleep my nights well.so lets see what happens...
Ba
  17th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I live in the Bahamas, so as you might imagine our snail mail is even slower than just about anywhere else. I do have a modern computer and internet service, and receive tons of offers for virus protection software. I consider it spam. over a year ago I purchased PC Tool Spyware Doctor. I did not however authorize any auto renewal.

I found that using PC Tools slowed my computer as it was constantly updating every time I booted up. So, I turned it off. I have upgraded to Vista and find that Windows Defender works fine and it was free. So I no longer needed the PCTools anchor.

As has been related above. I got automatically renewed and charged for three different items totaling over $100.00US. The thing is I didn't pay any attention to an email they sent me stating that I had been charged anything. I thought it was just another offer to provide another service and thought it was spam. I did get a Visa statement about a month later and realized what had happened. I emailed them and demanded a refund. I got an email this morning telling me that the period for refunds had past and it was not their policy to reimburse me. Well it's not my policy to pay for something I don't want, didn't order, and have no use for.

Of course I did file the dispute with VISA stopping any payment, so they're not going to get my money to keep for very long. By the looks of what has been written on the net, thieves, crooks, scam artists, class action law suit, etc. that whistling that is ringing in their ears is the sound of their stock falling with no thud at the bottom yet audible.

It should be pretty obvious to any executive with them or PC Mag that they had an easy out. Just give the people their money back. Are they doing so poorly that they have to crawl to this level? Then again they seem to have an answer to any new bugs on the net. Could they have created them?

I wonder what a forensic systems analyst would find in their files. Only one way to answer that. Lets start emailing our Congressman and State Senators to call for an inquiry into their practices. Who knows what may come of it. I'm sure they won't mind a hundred or so computer geeks pouring over every key stroke for the last several years. I'm sure that they would welcome the disruption to their business if it cleared them of wrong doing.

And their legal fees would only amount to less than half their annual revenue... okay three quarters. But so what they've got deep pockets... right?

On the other hand PC Mag, after endorsing them all this time, is beginning to look less than credible.

The line up for lawyers who want to take this project on can start right here. How much do we each get from the CALS? I bet it's more than $100.00US

There's that whistling sound. Its so loud now even I can hear it in the middle of the ocean.

James Neill

Freeport Bahamas
  24th of May, 2009
Agree - after over twelve months of trying all of the methods PCTOOLS suggest to cancel the subscription I did not realise I has signed up to in the first place, I am also seeking to have the automatic renewals stopped through my credit card legal people.
I am also contemplating paying a visit ( to their address below) with my biker mates to ask them personally for my money back.

Units A & B, Block 4, Shannon Business Park, Shannon, Co. Clare, Ireland.
An
  8th of Jun, 2009
Maybe you all should read contracts (electronic or paper) before you agree to them?

They have 24 phone support you can call too if I'm not mistaken.

You have no one to blame but yourself for your own ignorance.
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Spallina - suggest that should read the posts before submitting comment...

e.g. "i try to get on the phone with them yet once again. i started to get weird ### from their phones. i kept getitng the first two words of there automated system and my phone would hang up...each time. after a while of that id get the familiar "do do do" sound it would tell me that the number did not exist. and now for the past couple hours all i get is a busy signal. "

They are clearly operating below the threshold for acceptable standards of normal business behaviour. They may well be laughing all of the way to the bank but I suspect that they will not be able to fool all of the people for much longer.

PS have you got shares in PCTOOLS ?

An
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I just called right now and got through on their support line (800-764-5783) after a 1 minutes 17 second hold time after selecting the option for billing on the automated line.

Maybe theres a problem with your phone? I put in a support request through the support section on their website asking a couple of mundane questions about Spyware Doctor, but haven't received a response yet.

Typically email support is 24-72 hours depending on the company, PC Tools says 24 hour turnaround, we'll see.

No I don't own share in their company :P I do use Spyware Doctor, which I did originally purchase on subscription but later removed via calling their support line which was pretty much painless, not considering the hold music :)

I rewew manually now just so I can keep track of my bills... times are tough I'm sure you all know, but seeing complaints of PC Tools scamming people just appears that people are ignorant to the contracts to which they are agreeing.

I've never had a problem with their support, billing or products, so I stand by them. Truth be told automatic billing for these kinds of software is pretty much industry standard nowadays.
  9th of Jun, 2009
Suggest you research the growing number of complaints regarding the results of PCTOOLS malpractice and consider yourself to be one of the lucky few.

Dont agree that automatic subscription for renewals is industry standard (unless you are referring to the fraud industry) but the way that PCTools are doing it is giving " the industry" a very bad name.

Au
  28th of Aug, 2009
I know this is an old post, but I have just been trying to help someone who has no idea how this spyware doctor got on their computer. When I saw it I suggested it was a virus because it behaves exactly like one.

It comes up with 4 threats and 40 infections, even though two major protection suites give the machine a clean bill of health, but then to fix it you have to pay money. If this product is so above board why does its trial version tell you about infections and not fix them, all the major suppliers provide full functioning trial versions. If it works well why wouldn't you buy it.

It is by definition a virus, or at the very least SPAM. If something gets on your computer without you being aware of how it got there, and then it scares you into purchasing a product that I would think has to be considered illegal in most countries around the world.

Another thing you will find in most countries around the world, if a contract is misleading the average consumer is protected, because how you are encouraged to sign a contract is taken into account for consumer transactions.
Du
  1st of Sep, 2009
Well I guess I should get out now! Reading all these comments, I've come to the conclusion that what I've been experiencing is only the beginning. Thank goodness for comment boards such as these! The comments were extremely helpful in my decision to opt out and cancel the program.
Kd
  17th of Sep, 2009
HELP! I just downloaded Spy Doctor from PC Tools... the charge went through on my checking account yet I was never given a License Code to access the program. In addition to this, I also tried typing in my email address so it could retrieve the code and it did "not recognize" that address. I just paid $30 and now I'm worried it's a bog scam and they will continue to charge my card... HOW DO I STOP THIS??!?!?! HELLLLLLPPP!
  17th of Sep, 2009
I had to get my bank to freeze the direct debit payments after proving to them that I had written to PCTOOLS to advise them to stop the subscription (which they originally ignored)
Ti
  5th of Oct, 2009
PCTools answered my request and are planning to refund my account. I am waiting for them to do so. I am happy with the idea that they were responsive tomy needs as a costumer.