PcTools / Termination of subscription

1 Boston, MA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 617 7234431

PCTOOLS automatically renewed my subscription and I cannot find out how to terminate it. Sent various E-mails to automated response systems that offer help only in pre-defined areas, never in how to close your account. This in itself is a sophisticated scam!!!

Comments

• Ju
      7th of Aug, 2008

i can go one better! not only did they renew automatically when i had specifically altered my status to manual, they took 3 payments for registry mechanic last year and two again this year. I am still trying to get my money back! they keep fobbing me off with contacting their billing provider "element 5" but as i keep reminding them my contract is with pc tools! its soon gonna be in the hand of my solicitor!

2nd of Sep, 2008

Go to your bank or card issuer and file an dispute of the purchase. The company has a time frame to respond with their answer. If they don't your bank will automatically credit your account and issue a denial of payment to the the company. Make sure you take all correspondence you have, showing your attempt to fix the dispute. I have had to use this actions several times, and my Credit Union has always elicited a quick response or credit my account for the charge. Try it; it works.

2nd of Sep, 2008

There's no such thing a free education - I doubt if you get your money back and that's the price you will have to pay.

Anyway, call up the credit company and tell them you lost your credit card. A new card is issued and that will prevent anyone from billing your new card without your authorization. Amen!

2nd of Sep, 2008

One neat way to protect yourself against unwanted charges is to use the temporary credit card numbers issued by some credit card companies.

Bank of America offers its ShopSafe program for its VISA card accounts, other banks will have similar program names. In my case, instead of using my real card number to dubious vendors, I can go to the BOA site and obtain a temporary card number that has both a very low credit limit that you select, along with the security code and a short expiration date. If the vendor wants $24.99 for its online offer, then you can choose a credit limit of $25 with a two-month minimum expiration date.

A huge bonus is that the temporary number is only good for use at the vendor that originally charged against it, so it offers additional protection against theft or hacking.

After the initial purchase, you can cancel the temporary number, or raise the limit and/or extend the expiration date to accommodate an additional purchase or renewal at that vendor.

If you are unhappy with the service that you purchased with your temporary card number, then you can simply cancel the temp card account number and be done with the ###! I wished that I had used it with Blue Mountain e-card service several years ago.

• Dr
      3rd of Sep, 2008

I had Registry Mechanic renew automatically without my consent..I contacted Elements and they changed this option and apologized and sent a confirmation stating they would not renew without my consent..This has not happened again

• Ke
      3rd of Sep, 2008

The solution I have used for years is to open a debit card account and transfer funds to it when I intend to make a purchase. Other times I just keep enough in the account to keep it open. I have had a few scams try to get my money since then, but they keep coming up dry! This can be done with any banking institution, so you don't have to go with BankAmerica.

• Re
      3rd of Sep, 2008

Several years ago Tickle.com began "evergreening" my subscription to their online tests service - i.e. IQ tests, etc., which I had never signed up for. I was not very careful about checking my credit card statements, and before I knew it I had paid them over $350. I notified my credit card company who contacted Tickle, and I was refunded about $200. Then, Tickle was bought by Monster.com. Imagine my surprise when the vice president in charge of the acquired Tickle wrote to me and asked how much they owed me. When I told him, Monster settled up quickly for the remaining $150. I think they were afraid of a class-action lawsuit.
    Now, I am much more careful about checking my statements and contact my CC company if there are any unauthorized charges. In the case of PayPal, I have opened a low balance bank account, which I use for my account with them.

• St
      3rd of Sep, 2008

I support home computer users and have had many, many clients get caught up in this cycle...

I tell my clients to send a certified letter to their credit card company, with all documentation they went thru in their attempts to contact the vendor or their attempts to vacate the charges...

Tell the credit card company what you want done and and they are required under law, as I understand it, to investigate the charges and if the vendor does not respond, the charges are charged back to the vendor...

Over the past 5 years or so, I suspect 100 or so of my clients have gone thru this, a lot of them with AOL and Norton...and I believe there is 100% success rate...

• Ph

Symantec Consumer Services:
    We rolled all of our cards as soon as the first one went through.
    The battle was on to get the charge reversed ... but we eventually prevailed!
    Philip

• Ro
      9th of Sep, 2008

PC TOOLS is a criminal enterprise. Go directly to your credit card company and also send ltrs of complaint to appropriate Better Business Bureaus, Attorneys General and PC magazines.

• St
      13th of Sep, 2008

It took 2 weeks & 3 E Mails, but P C tools have taken off
    the auto renew, on my account.You cannot do it your
    self .We will soon find out when the time comes.
    Steve

• Da
      6th of Oct, 2008

Hello:
    I purchasedThreatfire 1 year subscription twice by accident. I have notified your company to cancell Subscription Invoice # 8268108, License # HKRG2Z-F564EN-5VGUJT-8RYDTW-K06ZYQ-G7GCE6 about 4 or 5 days ago. I noticed that both orders are still on my account listing.
    I also requested as to how I am to activate Invoice 8268258 License # HKRG2Z-F564DP-XA06PW-QHUAFX-MMPDPB-009RF7 several days ago. So far nothing has been accomplished.
    At this time I am totally without protection other than Windows Defender. I tried downloading Threatfire for free until I am able to download my Invoiced Order and find that my computer will not accept anything until I am Properly covered. My instructions were to delete/uninstall all other security programs before installing a new program. Now I can't seem to get my computer to accept anything.
    I will require your assistance inresolving this issue and I need to download my initial invoice 8268258.
    Lets take care of this before somthing serius happens to my system.
    Dan

• Se
      27th of Feb, 2010

Get real...people. Do you know what is criminal or what is business? Damn noobs...by the way, I have a million in Kenya, but I need 50, 000 dollars to go get it. If you give me it, then I will give you half of my million. Please contact me here to let me know if you are interested.

• Wa
      24th of Jun, 2010

PC Tools is indeed a Criminal Enterprise. I also had a subscription of their "SpyWare Doctor" Automatically renewed when I kow in fact that I did not authorize the Auto Renewal. Their online Customer Service is a joke! Highly recommend that people do not use this company's products