PC Gamer / Fraudulent subscription

1 UT, United States Review updated:

I had looked at some online sweepstakes "no purchase necessary" contests online in April 2008. PC Gamer had one to win a new computer and a free subscription to their magazine. Starting in May I started receiving a collection bill, for this subscription. I have looked all over for the address that is stamped on the outside of the bill and nothing of value has appeared. There is no phone number, no e-mail, no contact information what so ever.

I started thinking this was a scam and so when the "FINAL NOTICE" letter showed up in July I typed a letter explaining my side and giving all of my contact information and said for them to please contact me if they have any questions or comments. They have failed to contact me and I have yet to receive another letter. Making me really think that this is a scam.

Beware of fraudulent contests promising a free subscription if you win but apparently will sign you up for one if you lose.

Sa

Comments

Gr
  13th of Sep, 2008

I have been receiving similar notices from PC gamer for sometime now, again regarding the April issue which said no purchase was necessary. But now i am getting these constant notices and today i got one from a collection agency called "north shore agency" telling me that i owe 19.95$ to PC gamer!!!
I really dont know what to do or how to unsubscribe. i have received only one magazine so far (april 2008) and was wondering how to really resolve this issue?

Gr
  14th of Sep, 2008

I am in the same situation and also received the threatening letter from North Shore Agency.

I tried emailing PCGamer through their website but it will never actually allow me to do so - keeps asking for an email address but gives me no place to enter one.

Aaarrgggh!!!

Un
  9th of Dec, 2008
PC Gamer - subscription
PC Gamer

I have looked at PC Gamers website and there is no to unsubscribe to their magazine. Never use any of their services. I wanted to cancel my subscription about 3 month ago, but they just keep sending me letters that I should pay if I want to continue receiving their magazine, which I don't.

Ma
  30th of Dec, 2008

I tried to also cancel the subscription at their online customer service site and it also kept asking me to enter in an e-mail address - even though I was logged in and the e-mail address was already there!

Here is a phone number to contact 1-800-898-7159 - it will give you an automated option to cancel your subscription and should become effective in one business day. Hope that helps!

So
  6th of Apr, 2009

SONY ONLINE STATION IS A FRAUD, Planetside will not run on vista 64 on my gaming rig. There is no solve for this problem. I recieved the following e-mail from Sony when I attempted to resolve the issue with a refund.
thank you for contacting me regarding your issue. Unfortunately due to our very strict No-refund policy I am unable to assist you with your request. What I can do however is freeze the remaining game time on the account for when you decide to play the game again. Please know that all of are subscription fees are recurring and non-refundable. This is stated in section 5 of the End User License Agreement and can be viewed by clicking the following link: http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin/soe.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16210. This agreement has to be accepted every time the game is launched. Please let me know if you would like to freeze the remaining game time on the account.

Regards,