PaymentOne Corp.unauthorized charges to phone bill

W Review updated:

I strongly believe that it is wrong and even illegal that a third party can go through my phone company to bill me for any outside services or charges without my written consent let alone any unauthorized charges. Then I have to spend a lot of my time on the phone with both company's to clear up their mess which I was informed may take several months. This practice is unacceptable.

Jul 23, 2009

agreed... on hold now about $29.95 charge for what? i have no idea!

Oct 01, 2009

On my personal and business AT&T bill charges billed by PaymentOne Corp. After alot of time and effort was able to have charges reversed by AT&T. Was hung up on twice by PaymentOne Corp. after waiting for 20 min. This is outrageous! Evidently AT&T is federally required to bill for these people who represent telemarketers. The two companies were ID BARON THEFT PROTECTION PLAN AND BIGCITYYELLOWPAGES ISP. I have called the CAlif. Public Utilities Comm., Fed. Trade Comm., San Jose (where they are based) Better Bussiness Bureau, State Atty. Gen., and will make a call to State Consumer Protection Agency... If you have had experience with this co., please call these agencies...enough calls and they will act! Best bet, is to NOT deal with any type of telemarketing, period!!

• P
      Oct 07, 2009

This is my 4th time calling Payment One Corp. to try to reverse unauthorized charges. As we speak, I am waiting on hold to speak with a supervisor. Here is how they "authorized" the charges. They called my store, when our clerk answered, they asked for her name. Once our clerk gave them her name, they said thank you and hung up. That's it! This is how they "authorize" charges. I will be contacting the Texas Public Utilities Comm., Fed. Trade Comm., Better Bussiness Bureau, State Atty. Gen., and the State Consumer Protection Agency (thanks BrendaJ)

Payment One records all sales conversation. I've requested to hear the recording. They told me that someone would be calling me back within 48 hours to hear the recording. Not holding my breathe.

Nov 02, 2009

Alaina B.
    I was billed by PaymentOne on my AT&T bill after visiting a web site I was directed to by a Toys-R-Us employee as their "online application center" this bill along with one from HBS Billing Services on behalf of "Streaming Flix, LLC. appeared immediately after I visited the website. Also, there were several spam e-mails from related companies. I did not authorize any "memberships" or other services while at the website. This a fraudulent practice.

AT&T tries to disclaim responsibility. Wrong!! They allow too many of these fraudulent companies to bill through them without doing anything about it.

We all need to contact our Congressmen and our State Attorney Generals Offices about such actions.

Nov 06, 2009

My question; "When did my telephone # become a credit card that anyone can use [without my authorization] to purchase goods or services ? "

• J
      Nov 06, 2009

11/6/09

I agree with all the above comments. Since when do phone #'s become credit card? I was also charged for the last two months. Last month I called and they told me that they would cancel my service - which I never signed up for to begin with, and the charge appeared on my bill again this month. Why doesn't AT&T assist with these charges? I also don't even know who PaymentOne Corp is. As far as I know, I have NEVER signed or agreed to any service they provide. How can I when I don't even know who they are.

Jayne B
    Eau Claire, WI

Nov 17, 2009

It appears that AT&T can help. Call customer service and ask for a block to add on billing. The company calling can still authorize the charge with any one, but they can not add the charge on your AT&T bill. They would have to bill you directly. At least you would see the the charges on the bill.

Nov 27, 2009

At the bottom of my ATT bill was a bill added on for AutoPilotProfit Systems for $14.94.
    This was on behalf of PaymentOne corp. What the hell is going here? Called the 800 number on the phone bill. They said they would cancel the membership and after some pushing I got them to agree to send a refund check. I will believe it when I see it.

Don
    Dixon, Ca

Dec 13, 2009

I am outraged! I just received my latest bill from AT&T and on it is a charge for $42.95 from Directory Services Group, LLC billed through PaymentOne Corp for "Dir Svcs Group - Webhosting Svc Mth Fee." I had no idea how this charge originated until I read Tom B's comment regarding his call to ToysRUs. Last month I signed up for ToysRUs rewards program. I believe that is how my name and phone number appreared on PaymentOne's "hit list." Since this is a weekend, I will call AT&T on Monday and immediately request a supervisor. I intend to lodge a complaint against AT&T and certainly against this telemarketing concern which has no right to bill me for services I did not request or receive. I definitely will not pay PaymentOne Corp. This is tantamount to extortion. It is illegal and fraudulent and they should not get away with it. How many people are they counting on to just pay instead of fighting them? This is so unjust! I will post the outcome of my complaints when I have more info. Thank you for this forum.
    MaryAnn/Milan, IL

Dec 24, 2009

We sent on 12/14, via USPS registered mail, complaint letters to three top AT&T corporate executives with copies of those letters and cover letters to the CEO of PaymentOne, our US Senator, our US Rep, the US and CA Attorney Generals and various others. AT&T responded quickly from their executive offices in Dallas and credited our phone account for payments to PaymentOne that had been erroneously paid and said that as of a couple of weeks ago, they have approval to block for customers all third party charges. PaymentOne tried to phone us several times, but after reading from others how they've fabricated phone recordings to stitch together a recording to make it appear that a customer has agreed to services, we did not pick up any of their calls. That forced PaymentOne to write us a letter which came today 12/24/09. In it, Mr. Boris Gutierrez, PaymentOne Consumer Relations Manager, claims that there is no connection between PaymentOne and Directory Services Group and included a cd with a .wav file on in that is a complete fabrication, stitching together my husband's voice with an extremely fast talking salesperson (robotic speed reading from a script) purportedly confirming a business agreement. My husband asserts that he never had such a conversation with anyone. It's a total fraud. And we're on the national do not call list since 2003! If anyone reads this who has the equipment and knowledge to put the file through an analysis to prove it's a fraud and that person works for a reputable news organization or federal justice department, I will consider providing the file upon confirmation of your identity. These scoundrels need to have our justice system throw the book at them and march them into federal prison for a lifetime. Send email to anita at autumnstar dot com.

• J
      Jan 01, 2010

We have been charged for the past 5 months on our phone bill by PaymentOne Corp. These charges were about 49.00 that we did not authorize. We have called the phone company and they said they would have to transfer us to another company and talk with them. They said they would credit our account and it might take a month or two to get it straightened out. But the charges still apply to our account. The last time we called they spoke in Spanish and would not get anyone on the phone to help us. I also think that the phone company itself should not let the charges be applied to peoples accounts. Our phone is through CenturyLink. If they do not get this straightened out we will have our phone disconnected! Junior

Feb 03, 2010

I just found out that this company has been charging me $106.20 on my phone bill for my business. I did not authorize a dime. I am very angry and do plan to write my state representative. Then the company that charged claims they have an audio of me saying it is ok. I wonder how botched that is since I tell everyone I am not interested.

Feb 10, 2010

For the last 12 months, I have been, been billed by a company called PaymentOne Corp for something called "Business to Business Online" at $19.95 a month since February 2009. After noticing the phone usage go down this time of year but the bill staying higher than ever, I noticed this transaction. Given that I am either unemployed or underemployed, this kind of gauging really hurts.

I don't know who these people are and don't know why they are billing me for this.

Michael Goolsby
    Livermore, California

Feb 11, 2010

We just noticed that an additional $14.94 was being added to our Att bill for Payment One Corp since October. When we called ATT, they told us it was a third party bill and they said Payment One was billing us for Auto Pilot, an online income business. We have never visited the site and we certainly have nooooooooooooooo interest in what they sell. Att is crediting our account. That's good. But, when I called Payment One I was treated like I was the offensive person. They told me that I had signed up for the service. Their "proof" was that they had my email address.

I am convinced that someone is making a lot of money on people who are not checking their bills.

I tried to call FCC, but they are closed today due to weather conditions. Go figure!

Feb 11, 2010

Damn I got charge $99.95, called for cancel and they still charge me again this month, when I call them they said charge issued on Jan 11th and I called on Jan 19th so they are not gonna credit it.

Funny thing is they are saying they gonna email me the audio they have recorded when they call, the people they talked to I don't even know the name, and they concerned that as authorized, this is my family business only me and my dad. Any idea who can I call to complaint about this? This is stupid

Feb 11, 2010

I just found out the charge goes to a company name called "Behalf of USA business directory", here is their poor website: http://www.usadirectory.biz. wtf is this?

Mar 05, 2010

This just happened to us on our AT&T bill. This was from Search Markting Service, LLC." The incorrect spelling was on my bill. "As a courtesy" they dropped my phony account and issued credit of 106.70! On the same bill, there was one from for 45.37 from Precision Comms. Int . Both claimed we authorized this. We did not, of course. I have now stopped automatic payments to AT&T and ordered a block 3rd party payments for ever occurring on my bill. They said that as a public utility they are required to allow 3rd party billing unless blocked! Does anyone know how to put these people in jail?

• S
      Mar 28, 2010

I want to know how to put these people in jail too. My 2-year-old son and the babysitter stay home with the home phone, both of them speak only Chinese. How can they request/agree the Marketing services???

• S
      Apr 12, 2010

I noticed most of the complaints are because AT&T allowed the 3rd party payments? Does this happen with other carriers? I have been fighting this for 4 months and I am really starting to get mad. I am even considering changing my carrier if AT&T won't allow the block. I don't have the time for this!

• E
      Apr 26, 2010

I have a small business and found charges from my phone company on behalf of Paymenttone Corp. These charges allegedly were authorized by me in a phone conversation to one of the representatives for Fast Web Pages. I asked to have the conversation played back to me and they played an obviously cut and pasted version of the conversation. Evidently saying yes to any of their questions allows them to assume you would like the service. "Is this Mr. so and so, " answer: "yes". I went ballistic. It has taken more time than I care to say to rectify this and have the charges removed from my phone bill. I have requested a third party block on the lines, but we'll see how they get around it. I'm sure there will be some kind of trick or time period or something. The phone companies are complicit in this because they get revenue from it. Then when complained to, deny all responsibility. There is an article in the AARP magazine last month that indicates the legislature is moving to restrict third party billing on phone lines. It should not be allowed by the phone companies period. They should bill for their services and not the services of others. Look for a class action suit in your area and sign up.

Jun 01, 2010

I agree with all of these comments! PaymentOneCorp has billed me numerous times! I've call both At&t and payment one! Both of them said that they would put a end to it and I just got another charge! How can this be fixed? I don't understand how this is legal!

Jun 23, 2010

It just happened to me. Watch out ... this is a major scam. I saw the charges on my AT&T bill this morning. A billing from PaymentOne on behalf of something called "Environmental Impact LLC-inet". I called PaymentOne. The rep insisted that I had agreed to this program and I know for a fact I never would have. I was speaking to someone in Manila, Philippines. I kept asking to speak to a supervisor but never got one. After 10 minutes of arguing I threatened to have my attorneys contact them and asked for the phone representative's name. She eventually said that they would credit my $100 and cancel the plan. After reading previous stories here, I am a bit concerned it may not be over.

• L
      Jul 09, 2010

I just received my phone bill today from AT&T and there was a charge from this company PaymentOne Corp which I never signed up for. PaymentOne stated I signed up for their services via the internet. I was on vacation and never signed up for this service. This is fraud. I sent AT& T an email message concerning this matter. When I called PaymentOne I was highly upset. The lady was rude and tried talking down to me as if I was a child. When I brought this to her attention she aplogized and than proceeded to tell how I signed up for the program. They had all my information and claimed they only got it because I signed up for it. I told her NO! I did not sign up for an internet business service. The lady than told me she will cancel my subscription. I told her I never subscribed to them. She than told me she was cancelling my subscription and will waiver the charge and I will receive an email confirmation concerning the cancellation and even gave me a confiration number. I have not received this email confirmation. I am not going to pay addition fee and if AT&T doesn't do anything about this I am going to cancel my home phone and wireless phone service with them. I rather be with a phone with this company than be robbed!!!

Sep 21, 2010

I, like so many others here, have received a fraudulent billing on my AT&T bill for a "service" we did not order. I called the number listed on this bill page for Payment One, and they told me (like all the other complainers here) that they had a recorded authorization for the charge. I asked many questions, and then the service person hung up on me. I phoned back, got another person, and got mostly the same story. This happened to me approx a year ago also, at which time I phoned AT&T to get this practice blocked. Perhaps they can block only a particular company from doing this. So the company changes their name and goes at it again. NOTHING should be chargeable by way of another vendor (such as AT&t). Then these scammers would have to bill direct and we just wouldn't pay.
    Carole, Northern Cal

Sep 28, 2010

Technically, this is not fraud. This is one of many companies that have begun a new form of psychologically-enhanced direct marketing in which you are charged before you are aware of being charged. The company actually "makes the sale" when you fail to call them and demand your money back. I was hit by this exact same thing. Here's how it works:

The company makes a phone call to you, offering their services. You decline, but the memory of the phone call sticks with you. You see the charges on your phone bill months later and realize it was unauthorized. You call them back, and demand a full refund. They offer you a partial refund, saying that they will contact you back with a recording of the phone call in which they claim you agreed to the service. Then, remembering the phone call but not the details, you doubt yourself into thinking "maybe i did somehow agree to this" and think getting partial credit back is better than getting no credit at all if they actually DO have such a recording. This is an intimidation tactic they use so you don't demand the full refund. But there is a way to fight back.

In my case, having worked for both a telemarketing company and a customer service company, I knew better than to fall to these very effective tactics. I called PaymentOne Corp. and demanded a full refund for the 5 months they had billed me of $49.99 each. The first rep I talked to asked for my phone number, first and last name, and my job title. When I asked her why she needed my job title she first pretended the phone connection was breaking up or that she couldn't hear me, and then when the "broken" connection came back she asked me for the job title again, and when i asked again why she needed that info, she replied "to address you more appropriately." This information is valuable to companies who trade consumer information, and the rationale behind it is basically even if they have to refund the fraudulent-though-technically-legal charges, they can at least get some of your information to sell to their affiliates in the process. After this, I politely asserted that I was unaware of the charges and the service until now and that I had never agreed to the charges and would like a full refund for all 5 months and cancellation of the service. She then tried to distract me by first acknowledging that she would be happy to cancel the service and refund what she could, and then tried to distract again by asking for the dates of the charges, which I had conveniently available from AT&T's website, and then after her attempt to confuse me failed, she asked if the most recent charge was the charge I wanted refunded. I replied, no I would like all of them refunded. She said she couldn't do that and I told her I need to speak to her supervisor. She put me on hold for a couple minutes, and then came back on the line saying she had spoken with her supervisor and that they agreed to refund 3 of the charges and would be calling me back with a recording of the call in which I supposedly agreed to their terms and conditions. I flat out told her as politely as possible that I didn't believe her, and I would like to speak to a supervisor if she could not authorize a full refund. She then put me on hold again and when a supervisor came back on they told me they would refund all 5 months for a total of $229.97, which she said was the maximum amount she could authorize to refund, and that she was making an exception because she wasn't even supposed to do this and then started to give me the cancellation number (this was their attempt to assume I was too lazy or slow to do the math of 5 x 49.99 = $249.95). I politely told the supervisor that I would like the full amount of $249.95 refunded back please to which she again used the intimidation tactic saying that they had a recording of our authorization and that would be all she could do for me. I told her I didn't believe she had such a recording because I knew we had never agreed to it, and then after putting me on hold again she told me she would refund the full $249.95 back to my account and that it would appear in 1 to 2 billing cycles, then again tried to distract me from the fact that I will have to wait 2 months for my money by saying to refund the tax I would need to talk to my "local provider" which in this case would be AT&T. At this point I accepted this, although for anyone out there fighting this, I would encourage you to demand a faster turnaround time for the refund. There is a high likelihood that I will not get any such refund in 1 to 2 billing cycles and that this company's survival is banking on the fact that I am too rich or too busy to worry about or remember the charges and will forget all about the charges by that time. Hopefully they will be wrong.

Oct 15, 2010

No, this is fraud. It happened to me and I wont even waste my time typing it all on what happened. IT was to be a trial period and, I no longer would be featured on the top line of google once the trial period ended and my choice to start paying for it. NEVER did they once tell me or ask me about how I would like to be billed or what form of payment I'd use to lock me in after the trial period. THEY NEVER EVEN MENTIONED BILLING ME ON MY PHONEBILL, if they told me that I WOULDVE LET THEM HAVE IT!...meaning a red light wouldve went on in my head! THANKFULLY since the stupid payment one corp wouldnt credit my phonebill and told me I was told things I didnt even hear like my phonebill being used!!!...my phone company reversed the charges promptly when I called. GOOD BYE! NEVER AGAIN will I fall for "your company is being featured on GOOGLE in your area this month" like it was some compliment like a newspaper article. Whatever, a trial is a trial and when it is over so is the "feature", it doesnt mean billing me for something I did not agree on, especially using my phonebill, and at the same time I never agreed on a sum of money to be billed on. NADA. Learn your lesson Search Marketing Services and Payment One Corp. You act sly and deceitful you will not get your money!!! SO YES ONCE MORE IT IS FRAUD: how dare they bill my private phonebill account for a certain amount of money that I never agreed to or was informed on!!! If you dont call that fraud, you need to go back to school!

Oct 15, 2010

by the way, this is invasion of privacy big time!!! in addition to fraud, how any other words to go along with these!

Oct 15, 2010

i some how left out a word...I meant to say how ABOUT any other words to go along with these. I will add too that there are many adjectives of their doings that can be used!

• E
      Oct 25, 2010

I just got charged for $99.95 for 2 times from paymentone corp through my ATT bill.
    And I blocked 3rd party bill. Thank you guys for the idea.

I spoke to paymentone corp and they said my front desk authorized their service.
    And all they asked her was "what's your name?" "are you over 18?"
    But she said "no" when they asked if she in charge of making decision like this.

Anyway, I asked them a recording for her saying yes to quesition if she's in charge of this.

I don't know if they'll call me back.
    HOW CAN WE STOP THIS SCAM??

Oct 29, 2010

I got hit by some ID theft protection company...wow, the irony. I called up Payment One and was transferred to the ID theft company. They claim they canceled my account and are sending me a check for the month they billed me already. We'll see. It really surprised me as I was expecting a credit on my bill in 2-3 months. I contacted AT&T and had 3rd party billing blocked. I used the 'live chat' option and it was super easy.

Dec 12, 2010

Again I opened my att. tele bill and there were not one of these companies listed to rec'd payments from me but three 1st. EnhancedServices Billing $15.85, 2nd. United Telemanagement Corp. $23.06 and 3rd. PaymentOne Corp $13.73 for a total of $52.64 cent ( by the way I am a senior citizen and live on a small fixed income) I would cancel my home phone if it wasn't for people who have my # are
    doctors, family and business associates, so what are our options ? ????
    Maybe we should start a Class Action Lawsuit, I'm in Michigan and I would be more that happy to have my daughter who is an attorney help us with filing the suit in Michigan Superior Court. My e-mail address is [protected]@yahoo.com, don;t feel defeated we can win this battle, against these companies who robs us without using a gun or knife. Looking to hear from you very soon.

Sincerely, Mercedes Kinnee

Dec 12, 2010

Wow ! I just checked my AT&T bill. Back on the last page, after ther terms and conditions which is where you usually thing the billing ends, low and behold there is another page with Paymentone charges. Looking back over at at leat the last 7 months of bills I keep, I hace a 19.95 charge to Paymentone for ID BARON-THEFT PROTECTION monthly fee - whatever that is. I had no idea this was even on my bill until today. I have no idea how this got approved. I ALWAYS turn things like this down, and know I would not have knowingly accepted such a plan . I am outraged to say the least, especially after ready all the comments on this blog. I will be on the Phone with ATT and PaymentOne tomorrow for sure. Hope I can get some of it back. Someone needs to start a lawsuit !!!

Dec 14, 2010

Yep! Me too...No authorization and I never caught the billing for 6 months...$99.95 times 6! What a scam WOW! How much does ATT make on this?

Dec 14, 2010

Oh yes, they are alive and well and still scamming people and businesses. Got our AT&T business phone bill and saw a rise of $113 on our bill. After scrutinizing the bill, I found that AT&T has charged us erroneously. However, in scrutinizing our bill, I found three monthly charges. One for $9.03 Charged through Discount Directory Corp. When I called to find out what it was, I was informed that is was for 411 information. I cancelled service and requested a refund. Next was a $39.95 charge from Paymentone Corp. from Bizz Profile for supposed search engine optimization. Cancelled service and requested complete refund. (Have only been charged for 2 billing cycles). And finally, another $39.95 charge from Enhanced Services Billing, Inc. for online biz listings, Inc. for some online listing... Called and cancelled service and requested complete 5 mos of refunding. After the rep "talking to her supervisor" I was told that only 4 billing cycles could be refunded. After dealing with these companies I called AT&T and told them of the charges, that I had cancelled and requested refunds. I was able to put a third party billing block on our account as well as AT&T put in a dispute request in our file for the companies and the charges that were applied to my current bill were removed from my bill. so after correcting the error from AT&T and cancelling the scammmers, my bill went from $473.89 to $140.01. Now, I will wait and see about the other refunds and if indeed the billing will be stopped. From all previous posts, it appears I may have a fight on my hands.

Jamie Williams
    Odessa, TX

Dec 27, 2010

This is really outrageous ! Can we sue both PaymentOne Corp and AT&T ? I don't get it, why would AT&T agree to this kind of scam ? Anybody wants to start the lawsuit process ? We were also charged $99.95 2X, got refund for the first after a long conversation over the phone but for this month's bill we're being charged again.Bunch of scammers.It's always good to review our bills.

Jan 10, 2011

Just experienced this, January 2011. Some shady phone call to my sales director about getting an e-mail regarding marketing services, and whoooosh, a PaymentOne Corp account starts billing me 107.70 a month!

Here's the good news: Call them and raise utter hell. I read all of these accounts before talking with them, told them EXACTLY what I knew about their services and billing practices, and despite a few insisting moments that my "account manager" had no direct supervisors for me to talk to, and that he couldn't offer me more than one charge reversal, the conversation ended with me getting a full refund by check and an account cancellation. Throw around words like "class action lawsuit", "scam", and "third party billing blocks" and they get the message. You're not the gullible patsy they're making money off of, so they'll give in eventually.

Now, I don't trust that I'm going to see a single refund check from them, so I called AT&T to deal with it on their end, and they reversed the charges on my account to PaymentOne Corp and blocked all third party payments. If I get a refund check, all the better; I'll cash it and stick it to them on both ends (reversed charges and my refund check) and walk away with a little bigger smile for having scammed a scammer.

Best of luck, but don't get too hysterical: use the right language, don't listen to the B.S. they're selling, don't really even bother letting the account reps talk much, just demand your refund and get it over with. Then stick it to them with AT&T's customer service. Very easily solved.

• P
      Jan 23, 2011

It also happens on Verizon, not only AT&T. I've been charged for the first time this month, a modest but already scandalous 19.99 by PaymentOne. I'll do the calling and canceling and yelling on Monday. So upsetting...

Isn't there a CLASS ACTION possibility here?

I am really upset against telephone companies for allowing these charges. Then you call them and they give you the "third party" excuse. Nonsense: they are sending the bill. They should take responsibility.

Feb 27, 2011

It is also happening on CenturyLink >:( I couldn't understand a sudden drastic increase in my home phone bill so scrutinized the bill more than usual and there it was on the very last page, PaymentOne on behalf of Pathway Profits. Never heard of these businesses before. We don't even use our home phone to make or receive calls. It is there for our internet service and to monitor our home security system. We monitor the caller ID very closely and do not answer any phone calls from numbers that we are not familar with, so I know that there was never a recorded verbal contract made with any one at PaymentOne or Pathway Profits. I am the holder of the phone account and the only one authorized to make changes/additions to the account so if the recording they claim to have is with any other voice than mine, which is a female voice, then they have definitely fabricated the recording. CenturyLink has been contacted to block further third party billing but as customer service is not open until Monday morning, I have to call again to speak with someone in billing about a refund af charges already incurred. I will be dealing with PaymentOne and Pathway Profits on Monday as well. Wish me luck. As for a Class Action Lawsuit, if any one knows of one that has been filed, please let me know at [protected]@embarqmail.com. I would very much like to be a part of any such action.

Mar 12, 2011

Just got it on my bill at Verizon for $19.99 they are taking it off my bill for now payment one said I authorized it imagine that. Make me want to cancel service with Verizon and switch providers. What a bunch of crap!!

Mar 18, 2011

Happened to our business phone. PaymentOne says WE authorized by clicking on some ad that allowed them to charge to our bill. They say they have issued an email within 48 hours of our "click on ad" that allowed us to terminate -- never saw that email. They have agreed to cancel and refund charge. There is another company doing virtually the same thing called ESBI, so beware. I've got charges from both ESBI on our residential line and PaymentOne on our business line. Our phone company is CenturyLink -- I had them put 3rd party block on the bill, advise we all do the same.