Pawstuctaway Maine CoonsHorrible Breeder

1 Review updated:

DO NOT BUY A CAT FROM DEBBIE JEAN IN DEERFIELD NH. Her cattery is called Pawstuctaway. I bought a cat from her for $1100 and then another for $700. They both have had chronic diarrhea since we brought them home. I brushed it off with the first one because I thought he was stressed out due to the move. The second cat we bought has NEVER had a solid stool. It has always been straight water with blood in it. She is also very bony because she barely eats! She is very skittish and doesn't like to be touched. It is like she isn't used to humans at all! Which is understandable considering the house they came from. Debbie has all of her breeders (15 cats) shoved onto a tiny porch. The cats who did not have visible mats were shaved to the skin. These are long haired MAINE COON cats who need to be brushed EVERYDAY! She also keeps her breeding dogs in her basement. We heard them the day we were there buying our first cat from her. She has since given me ridiculous excuses for not being able to take her back. If you are looking for a HEALTHY, gorgeous Maine Coon kitten I can recommend five different breeders but don't waste your money on her. She is not the loving and caring breeder you are looking for. ALL SHE IS, IS MONEY HUNGRY. If ANYONE would like more information or would like to read the emails from this terrible breeder feel free to let me know.

Ni
Jan 17, 2015

Comments

• De
      Feb 26, 2015

Funny that you don't mention that you were totally refunded. Funny that you don't mention that you also got 3-4 other kittens with at least one with health issues. The cats go throughout the house, not just on the porch. There is one cat who has the lion cut, that is not a bad thing. The dogs are put into the bedroom when people come so that they are not annoying. They are not breeding dogs. You had better be careful what you say and do so that you will not be sued.

Feb 26, 2015

You don't have your facts straight. You bought a kitten then came back for a second already having other kittens in your house. Who's to say where the exposure to anything came from. I know that one of your other kittens had upper respiratory issues. You don't mention that. At least one of those kittens was sick, whose to say where this problem came from. You don't mention that the 1st kitten that you got from me is a big love. Who's to say that your young children didn't make the 2nd kitten afraid. That happens. Your kids are young and busy. You are not a Maine Coon cat breeder, but want to be. You have a high ideal idea in your mind that everything will be rosy, but it is not. You don't mention that I was giving you advice and you just didn't do it.

Feb 26, 2015

My porch ius 16 by 10, not a tiny thing. That leads into a hall that is bigger, which leads into my living room which is even bigger than that. My cats are all very well cared for. My vet knows my home phone number by heart, what does tht tell you?

• Rn
      Aug 13, 2015

Hi Nicole,
    I just wanted to say that I had exactly the same experience with Debbie Jean. My two cats, who are now 16 months old, have spent their entire young lives with health problems. They had giardia which took me 8 months to cure and included my boy cat having neurological side effects from the medication, a chronic viral infection, colitis, gastritis, and gingivitis/stomatitis which might lead to my girl cat having to have all her teeth removed. Hopefully if enough of us speak up, people won't give her any more business.
    Sophie, and 2 sick but loved cats George and Susan

• Rg
      Aug 15, 2015

I went to this breeder with a friend to pick up her two maine coon kittens. When I entered the house I was struck by how overcrowded it seemed and how it smelled. On these first impressions alone, I would not recommend this breeder. Now, I have witnessed the health problems these cats have struggled with for the past year- giardia, viral infections in their eyes and gums, chronic bloody diarrhea, and weight loss. So after the past year, my first impressions have been reinforced strongly. I would never recommend this breeder nor would I ever get animals from them. Ruth, Keene, NH

• Ru
      Aug 16, 2015

I agree with the above complaints. When I went with a friend to pick up her two Maine Coon cats to this breeder, I was immediately struck by how crowded the house seemed with cats, and how much it smelled. On this first impression alone I wouldn't go back to this breeder, nor recommend her to others. Then, over the past year, I've watched my friend struggle with health problems with those Maine Coons- giardia, viruses in eyes and gums, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss. They have never been healthy, despite vigilant and loving care, and repeated trips to the vet. So, I urge you to go else where for your cats. Ruth, Keene, NH

Sep 03, 2015

I too purchased a kitten from this breeder. The kitten came with 4 parasites, giardia and the corona virus which she will have all her life. While she is currently on the healthy side after much antibiotic treatment, she will never be cured, will always be infectious and will need treatment on an as need basis. I too feel this cattery should be shut down. Please DO NOT BUY from this so called breeder. It is a kitten mill.

• Ka
      Nov 02, 2015
    Best Best Advice

I have to say that I disagree with the complaints on this page. My family purchased a Maine Coon kitten in September 2001, she was perfectly healthy kitten and it a perfectly healthy to this very day. She is a senior cat with no medical problems since day 1. I went back to this breeder recently, my kitten was born August 2014 and I picked her up in January 2015. I took her to the vet for her standard kitten check and she was completely healthy with the small exception that her ears were a little dirty. But I have not had any health issues from my Maine Coons and they are beautiful. The kittens all seemed well taken care of and sometimes when you have a few cats, especially unaltered males it's going to smell a bit.

• Du
      Nov 09, 2015

I also have to disagree with the complaints made on this page. My Pawstuctaway MC is one healthy boy! I purchased him in 2005 and he has been the healthiest cat... never one problem with him. He is a happy cat, has a friendly disposition and just a love. Maine coons tend to be a little shy sometimes, and I have two other Maine Coons that are from a different breeder and they are way more shy than this one. As far as chronic diarrhea is concerned, I urge all pet owners to look at what they feed their cats before deciding it is a breeders fault. So many cats nowadays suffer from IBD/chronic diarrhea that has nothing to do with breeding, and everything with the terrible food that is on the market. One of my other two Maine Coons had this issue, and I improved her diet to raw and she is perfectly fine now.

Apr 11, 2016

Our boy had diarrhea for 9 months when he came home from Deborah's. Always negative for parasites we finally learned it was a food allergy. Now he's happy and beautiful, age 4.

• Li
      May 20, 2016

Sadly two of the four kittens that we purchased from this breeder died very prematurely in the past few years. The first male maine coon developed sarcoma at 5 years old and after a valiant effort (and thousands of dollars spent at MSPCA in Boston), we had to put our beloved cat down. After overcoming our grief, we made the mistake of going back to Pawstuctaway and purchased two more kittens. Her kittens are beautiful and we thought that cancer happens so why wouldn't we go to the same breeded. Well, at 2 years old, our beautiful male kitten from this breeder suddenly fell ill with severe weight loss and lethargy, completely out of the blue. In complete disbelief, we ended up at MSPCA in Boston spending several thousand dollars (again) trying to save this cat's life. It was unimaginable that we were going through this nightmare all over again with our maine coon babies. Sadly, he had to put put down after all of the tests done were non-conclusive but pointed to the fatal feline disease, FIP. The loss of our two, young beloved pets was so overwhelming that my husband and I vowed to never get pets as the grief was too much to take. The remaining 2 females from Pawstuctaway (each related to the deceased cats) are seemingly healthy except for the younger girl who has had chronic diarrhea since we brought her home. I do want to say that Deb was nice enough to refund us for our last male kitty that we had to put down but it really can't take away the pain and suffering we went through plus the tremendous medical expenditures made to save their lives. The intent of this complaint is to let potential buyers know what they are possibly getting into.

• Li
      May 21, 2016

Sadly two of the four kittens that we purchased from this breeder died very prematurely in the past few years. The first male maine coon developed sarcoma at 5 years old and after a valiant effort (and thousands of dollars spent at MSPCA in Boston), we had to put our beloved cat down. After overcoming our grief, we made the mistake of going back to Pawstuctaway and purchased two more kittens. At 2 years old, our beautiful male kitten suddenly fell ill with severe weight loss and lethargy, completely out of the blue. Once again, we ended up at MSPCA in Boston spending several thousand dollars (again) trying to save this cat's life. It was unimaginable that we were going through this nightmare once again with our maine coons. Sadly, he had to put put down after all of the tests done were non-conclusive but pointed to the fatal feline disease, FIP. The loss of our two beloved pets was so overwhelming that my husband and I vowed to never get pets again as the grief was too much to take. The remaining two females from Pawstuctaway (each related to the deceased cats) are seemingly healthy except for the younger girl who has had chronic diarrhea since we brought her home. I do want to say that Deb was nice enough to refund us for our last kitty but it really can't take away the pain and suffering we went through plus the tremendous medical expenditures we made to save their lives.

Sep 06, 2016

It's been almost a year since we put down our beloved Maine Coon after only 11 years on this Earth. He was purchased from this breeder in 2004. He was a lone indoor cat for all of his life, so no contact with other cats. He was also sick most of his life. He had chronic inflammation of the mouth, gums, and GI tract. The vet could not pinpoint the cause, but consider the huge costs of repeated vet visits, blood tests, cultures of all kinds, and still no firm diagnosis. The only time he was ever seemed well was the few short stretches on antibiotics. He never weighed over 11 pounds, even though males are known to reach 20. He was in a state of constant dehydration. This was from being taught to drink from a dripping faucet in the breeder's bathroom (which I saw myself during a visit there). He never adjusted to drinking from a bowl. Just imagine the inconvenience, and torment for him, when no one was around to turn on the water when he was thirsty. The heartbreak we suffered seeing him ill and then dying cannot be described. Where did his problems originate? Bad luck, bad genes, bad breeding practices? I suppose we will never know, but all the comments here make me wonder. I cannot express how devastated we were when we finally lost him.

Jan 09, 2018

It's difficult to write this, as it's not been long at all since we had to put down our beloved MCC at age 10. We purchased him from this breeder. He was chronically ill most of his life, with major allergies, a constantly inflamed mouth, gums, and GI tract. We had no other animals in the household. He received the best of veterinary care and food. He lived indoors. He escaped for 10 minutes just once in his life, and so no contact with ferals or other animals. The vet ran many tests but the chronic inflammation source could not be pinned down. The only time he was ever healthy and feeling well was the few short stretches when he was given antibiotics. He never weighed over 12 pounds. He was in a state of constant dehydration. So very sad. I have to add that they taught him to drink from a dripping faucet at this breeder's. They actually showed me where they drank in the bath tub. He never adjusted to drinking from a bowl. Just imagine the inconvenience, and the torment for him when no one was around to turn on a faucet when he was thirsty. Imagine trying to board him and explain he only drink from a running faucet! He was constantly dehydrated. The heartbreak we suffered seeing him ill and then dying cannot be described. What can you say? Where did the problems originate? Was it bad luck or bad genes? We will never know for sure.

• Ri
      Mar 02, 2018

Since 1996, We've had 3 of Debbie Jeans Maine Coons. They are and were the healthiest. The first 2 lived to 13yrs and 18yrs . They were beautiful with wonderful personalities. Our #3, Doogan is awesome. He's got a personality that won't quit! He' s almost 8 & a half. He's so much fun and he loves us. There has never been any health issues. Make sure you use good foods and be careful about cat litters. Rick & Candy