Paw Safe Organization / adopting a pet

Danbury, CT, United States Review updated:
2.85

My daughter adopted a puppy from the above website in September 2 weeks after she adopted this puppy ($400.00) the puppy had Seizures we took it to the vet and for some reason the seizures stopped. We contacted Pawsafe to let them know what was going on they told us we should put the puppy to sleep but after 2 weeks my daughter was already attached. So we decided to give him a chance. The puppy was fine for 2 more months no seizures. I contacted pawsafe to let them know and they said that we should have put them to sleep when they told us to.

1) first of all I don't think that should have been her responsiblity
2) they wouldnt compensate unless we did.

I thought that adoption agencies were suppose to help the animals. They made it very difficult for my daughter. After the 2 months he satarted having the seizures again. We took him back to the vet and after another $300.00 we contacted the adoption agency and not only did they take there time in emailing us back but they would not pick up the phone to even say how sorry they were. Some day she might want another puppy but after this experience and money I don't think that will happen.

How do the adoption agencies expect us to help them with there animals if they give away defects that can't be fixed. The money alone will stop her from ever helping another adoption agency.

Thank you for listening to this complaint.
Co

More Paw Safe Organization Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Di
  30th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am the director of Pawsafe Animal rescue.

Unfortunately the mother of the adopter is not correct in her comments. As an animal rescue we work very hard to save the lives of unwanted and discarded animals. They get excellent medical care prior to adoption, a 2 week old hold out of a shelter, spayed/neutered, 2 vaccines, 3 wormings, flea/tick treatments, and a health certificate signed by a licensed vet.

The puppy in question passed all health checks several times. Sadly, WELL AFTER ADOPTION it did start to seizure. The adopter spoke to us at length (not her mom who is the one writing on her behalf). We told her we would take back the puppy, but wanted her to honestly know that if the puppy were in our care we would have to put it to sleep since it was suffering. Since they were the legal owners, all we could do was provide advice and suggestions. The owner choose to continue to look into treatments.

Several months later the puppy is seizuring once more. Now that the owner has incurred medical bills, she would like the rescue to pay them as she did not want to euthanize before. She fully choose this path having others presented to her 2 weeks after adoption.

While we wish every puppy was born perfectly healthy, this is not the case. We are not breeding these unwanted animals - we are a group of volunteers doing the best we can to save them. Our medical protocols are above par and I would happily defend them any day. What this adopter's mom wants, is reimbursement for her daughters choice to seek other medical treatment that did not work many MONTHS after adoption.

It is very sad that despite our best efforts and endless hours of trying to do the right thing to put an end to the needless suffering of innocent animals, that this adopter's mother has choosen to twist the facts and publicly slander a rescue with honest goals.

Diane
Director
Pawsafe Animal Rescue
www.pawsafe.org
diane@pawsafe.org
B2
  11th of Jan, 2009
One of the big problems with getting from a rescue. Likely the seizures were the reason he was in rescue. Next time buy from a responsible breeder
Jk
  30th of Jul, 2012
Agree Disagree -3 Votes
We adopted a puppy as well from a pawsafe adoption event. We had the little guy for two days before it got extremely sick. We took it to the vet and it had parvovirus, the number one puppy killer of contagious diseases. Unfortunately it was too late in the stage to be nursed back to health and had to be put down. We contacted pawsafe to see if they would pay for the bills if we did try intense rehabilitation, but they said they would give us our money back only if we had the dog put down. They also claimed that none of the other puppies contracted the disease, which is highly unlikely considering it shared a cage with two siblings and the disease is airborne. The adoption event even took place in a vet clinic!! You would think where the disease was extremely progressed the puppy would have been diagnosed properly before sale, but obviously not. The puppy was originally from Kentucky where they "rescued" it, but in reality puppies are adopted frequently over older dogs and are rarely put down, presuming you get your puppies for adoption from mills. This adoption experience was a nightmare and I advise others not to purchase animals from this organization. Needless to say I got my new dog from a responsible breeder and now promote adoption from either breeders or actual animal shelters.
Su
  10th of Nov, 2014
I have adopted two fur babies from Pawsafe. Diane has always been very helpful and responds as soon as possible on all email. I have and will continue to recommend this rescue group as I believe they are far above par for rescues. I tried, prior to my experience with Pawsafe, to adopt a dog from a rescue web site, but was told I could go by the picture and that when they delivered the dog that was it. No support or follow up or vet info. Diane followed up on a few questions I had. My vet, Dr Steinmetz, recommended this organization and I trust my vet.
I am sorry for the experiences these 2 adopters had, but when you consider the hundreds of successful adoption that this organization has accomplished over the years-as sad as it is to the owners and for the pups-Pawsafe have a high rate of success. That they bring puppies up from bad situations (kill shelters) and do the best to provide for them-vet care, foster homes and volunteers-I feel they do a wonderful job. As for puppies only-that is not true. I have been to events that have had older dogs that have been brought up as well. Most people want the babies as they are cuter and cuddly. As for breeders-choose carefully as I have known some horror stories about them as well. If you want a specific type of dog, try the breed rescue groups found on the web. For mutts, rescue or shelters are best.
As for the disease factor-that happens any and everywhere there are groups of animals that have been rescued from these kill shelters.
7o
  1st of Dec, 2014
After reading these comments, I first of all want to say how very sorry I am for the people who have adopted puppies with health problems and not had a favorable experience. My heart reaches out to you! I also want to say that we have 2 new members of our house from Pawsafe, after losing our 2 dogs in one year. Our oldest was almost 15, we had her from 8 weeks, est. (a rescue dumped at our vet's office) and our younger, who we also had from very early on, (6 to 8 weeks), who we had to put down at almost 6, was fostered by a family at school, working along with another rescue. It was extremely painful to learn just a year into our adoption that our younger girl had congenital kidney defects, something I don't think could be known from as early as 6 to 8 weeks, when we got her.. It didn't matter. We loved her and she was part of our family. We are not rich but we felt we needed to do what we had to take care of her, like any member of our family. We followed our vet's advice and treated her aggressively. She was a member of our family and we did everything we could to make her life as comfortable as possible. Sadly with all that we did, we had to put her down just short of her 6th birthday, and only 6 months after our older one passed on due to old age complications. I realize there are organizations that abuse the trust of many and take advantage of kind hearts, but I have to say I am so grateful for the 2 loves that we have now. I did not hold the organization that our younger girl came from, who by the way, was the runt of the litter, and exhibited signs of sickness almost right from the start. I knew we got what we got and having a dog, from beginning to end, meant we had to take of that precious being from the moment we connected to her and until I held her in my arms when she passed. We have always taken having a dog as the most serious commitment you can make and I am so grateful to the people that make it their life to save these wonderful beings from the atrocities that may face them. Thank you Pawsafe! My family is so grateful.