Parents Magazine / deceptive practice, misleading

United States Review updated:
I was under the impression that I was getting a free subscription to Parents Magazine through an online source. I was shocked that I was being billed (I never gave any credit card info) for a subscription. I called Meredith Corp and was told to "call back in a few days" to cancel because the rep "couldn't see" my order yet. How is that possible when I am staring at it and it has an order number and it's on my email? This is fraud at best and misleading practice at the very least.

Comments

Des Moines, IA 50309-3023
Iowa
Phone: 515-284-3000
meredith.com

In a survey, I may have selected "yes" for receiving free information from Parents.com. However, I never agreed to anything that would cost money. The next thing I knew, I had an e-mail from Parents.com thanking me for my order and informing me that I was being billed $12.00.
Ke
  15th of Apr, 2011

Parents Magazine - sleezy business practices

BAIT AND SWITCH ALL THE WAY!!! AVOID THIS MAGAZINE LIKE THE PLAGUE! THEY UNKNOWINGLY SIGNED ME UP FOR SOME EARLY MOMENTS BOOK CLUB WHICH I DID NOT WANT! THEY ARE NOW BILLING ME AND TRYING TO RUIN MY CREDIT.
BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE PARENTS MAGAZINE! SHAME ON YOU!!
Ti
  30th of Apr, 2011
I completely agree! The same happened to me! I renewed my subscription for parents magazine and end up being a member of this book club. I don't like the books and now I have the hassle and cost of shipment (both ways) and of cancelling the membership. I will not sign up with parents magazine again!
Am
  28th of Mar, 2013
I ordered a subscription for 3 years for Parents magazine, and was charged (I had proof on my bank statement and everything, including the fact it said thank you for your subscription right after I submitted all my credit card information etc) but I never received the first magazine. They took my money, and when I called them over 2 months later, the rude woman in customer service gave me a bad attitude and snapped that I should send her a fax (which I am unable to do) of my bank account statement that I submitted payment to so then she snapped that she can give me an address to send payment information to. Uh, what???? It was ordered right on their website, it said payment sent and received, I had the statement the RECEIPT from THEIR website stating it was paid ih full, I had my own bank account to prove it was paid, and yet she would not believe me or could not find anywhere in their system or my account that payment had been received? That makes no sense. how did that get screwed up? She claimed it showed they never received the payment (I knew darn well they did over 2 months ago). Anyway, rather than argue with her because she was being so extremely snotty, rude and unhelpful, I simply asked why did I have to go through more trouble just for a subscription through them? Isn't there a way to show in their system that a payment was received off my card through my account??? She said she did not know. That was the best explanation she could give me. She was so rude and nasty about it, too, though, which bothered me. Anyway, I am going to have to now endure the extreme headaches of trying to pry my money back from them because sorry but a magazine is not worth all this trouble, and are they also going to screw something else up in the mean time?? I ordered 3 years of subscriptions, so I don't want to pay that much money and risk having them charge me 3 years but only send me 12 magazines or something . . . How unprofessional. Their customer service is horrendous. You cannot get a hold of anyone either, it takes FOREVER just to get a real person on the phone to help you. They screwed up and yet it was my fault, my problem, and I had to go through all the headache of PROVING to them what they already KNEW? I don't think so. Go with a different magazine. Skip Parents completely. Not worth it at all. I will NEVER get magazines from them ever.