Panera Bread / working experience

NJ, United States Review updated:

I have a manager who would laugh that i don't understand English and make jokes with the other employee about me. he is in Centerton Rd., Mount Laurel, NJ.the other managers are perfect especially, general manager. Sometimes I feel like I'm perpetuating prejudice. i'm not sure but sometimes feel like he's being a racist? I start noticing that he even tries to repeat after me and perhaps thinks that i will not understand about his joke, but I do i just try to not pay attention because i need this job. still wondering who hired him. should i let it go or should i fight for my rights as a victim of prejudice?

Cv

Comments

• Cl
      Nov 26, 2009

This is a very serious situation which could result in legal action against Panera Bread. Your Manager and by default, Panera Bread may be in violation of Federal Law not to mention State and Local laws governing workplace conduct. I am not a Lawyer but I do have an HR background. You should contact Panera's HR Department there are laws which may protect you from retaliation by the company or your manager if it sounds like they aren't taking you seriously you might casually mention you are contacting an Attorney and/or your State or Local Labor Dept (try not to sound threatening HR Reps will usually want to address the situation and nip it in the bud before you sue!). First you need to document dates and times of occurrences if you can't remember the dates and times of past abuse be sure to make a note of the date/time of future occurrences as well as the names of co-workers present when this happens. I am not familiar with New Jersey laws but I am pretty sure this situation falls under some Federal law. Most companies take this type of harassment very seriously as the legal judgments in harassment cases can cost them a lot of money, fines and bad press. If you trust any of your co-workers who have witnessed this ask them if they will provide testimony to your Human Resources Dept if necessary. I work within walking distance of a Panera location in Pasadena CA I no longer eat there after getting very ill twice in a row after eating there. This gives me another reason to never set foot in another Panera. Most companies require their Mangers to go through "Careful Communication" or some sort of training regarding these types of issues. And finally, if you get no results or you feel Panera or your Manager are retaliating its time to get an Attorney.

• To
      Aug 08, 2010

If you are in teh U.S.A. - YOU SHOULD SPEAK, READ, AND WRITE ENGLISH! It is THE official language of this country.

• Ms
      Dec 29, 2010

managers should always be professional and not joke about race especially with other associates go to your gm if they do not do anything follow through with your district manager

• Re
      Jan 22, 2011

@Tony079 I cannot believe you just said that! The USA doesn't have an "Offical" language there, buddy. Do some research and learn some more about the country you live in. Stop being an ignorant [censor]!

But seriously, talk to human resources, if you haven't already. They do a fine job at listening and generally will speak with that manager. They may not fire the manager right away, but something will be said.

• Al
      Mar 03, 2011

I AGREE with TONY079. I don't care if we have an "Official" Language. I am tried of being told that we have to be "careful" about we say because it might offend an "immigrant". This is AMERICA...Don't like that then they should go back to their motherland/country/third world piece of crap. From a PROUD AMERICAN [censor]...(I'm female too!)

• To
      Mar 17, 2011

I was sexually harrassed at Panera Bread in Denville, NJ. The managers told me they had playboy magazines and the General Manager, Jeff Schneider, would rub his body against me. They have absolutely no respect and they are totally in favor of hiring illegal immigrants. They have passport notification posted on the bulletin board for the immigrants.

• Sw
      Sep 02, 2011

I have several managers that constantly degrade me, especially on front of customers. One of the managers will make fun of the way that I do everything. For example when i was giving a customer advice where to buy alcohol, since we didnt sell any, after she left, my manager told me that i gave adive the wrong way and i didnt know how to read people, and then he went behind my back and told all of my coworkers and laughing about me. One of my managers also makes jokes about how I dont ever do anything at my job, and how I just stand there and talk to people. I am far from opposite of that and i stay late to do all of my closing work and I am always nice to customers. I feel like i have no recognition of anything I do and I feel like a lot of time they blame me for other peoples mistakes. I dont know what to do in my situation and i want to know more about my rights as an employee at Panera Bread.

Oct 04, 2012

As long as you can speak english, accent or not, then your manager has no right to say a word. But ask him to stop first. He might look at it as a little fun at work and did not think that you could see it badly. If he does not stop after you asked, ask him again in front of someone and/or a recording device so you have proof and if he does not stop the go to H&R. Panera's head H&R is Bruse and his # is (314) 984 -1000 int # is 2645

Oct 04, 2012

Let me know if he helps you are not.

Your welcome.

• St
      Jun 03, 2013

I don't know why managers at panerabread harass and bully employees in Westfield, NJ

• Pa
      Feb 07, 2014

Jeff Schneider, the General Manager, of Panera in Denville, NJ was convicted of drug possession and distribution in 2001 and also served jail time...
    How could this company hire someone like this as their GM??? I am outraged!

• Be
      Oct 29, 2014

Sometimes people make mistakes. If the above is true, kudos to Panera for realizing that some people had a lapse in judgement earlier in their life regarding drug use and that a mistake such as this does not define a person for the rest of his or her life. If we had the practice of hiring no one who used drugs at any point in his or her life, who knows how many people would be unemployed. We would omit a whole sector of people who have a lot to offer. We are not talking about violent offenders here. Oh, and I am not one who used drugs in my entire 56 years. You need to reconsider your point of view.