Pampered Pups / Sick/Underweight dog

1 Edinburg, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 724-667-9260

I purchased two female Yorkshire Terriors from this breeder last month. After several hours, I called Jason to say that I thought one was having trouble breathing. He told me "I was worrying too, Mom" and that "as long as they are playing and eating, they are fine." Well, both dogs got worse. I took them to the vet two days later. Both dogs had kennel cough. One was under weight. They were described as being very, very sick. $240 later, they are better, but not 100 percent. I did call them back to keep them posted. They mailed me pills to give the dog. But, I don't trust them. I will only do what my vet says to do. We went to this breeder because they have a nice website. It says all the right things. Including that they are Christian people. So, I trusted them. But, obviously, something bad is going on here. I am scared that I may have long term problems when these two little girsl. But, it is too late now. They are obviously part of our family. Jason was rude to me on the phone. And, his wife never came out to meet us when we took the dogs. She simply said she was sorry to me in an email. But, I know she had to have known that something was wrong. Kennel cough is contagious. He said that they have over 50 dogs there. . .

Pampered Pups

Comments

• Ze
      16th of Jun, 2011

I have a beautiful 4 year old dog I purchased from this breeder. My mom has his brother. My aunt has one. My girlfriend has one. My neighbors cleaning lady has one. I have recommended the McDowells to seven people who have had a happy, healthy and loving experience with their dogs.

8th of Sep, 2018

@ZeldaZ I wish I could say that. I bought a puppy from them 5 months ago. She died 2 days ago. For no reason other than birth defects. Jadon never returned a call or email

• Je
      2nd of Aug, 2011

I have a 13-month old Bichon that I got from Pampered Pups. I went to the home, met Jason and his two young daughters, and left with my little ball of fluff. He is a healthy, sweet, loving dog full of personality that EVERYONE loves. We have had no problems aside from a case of giardia that our vet said he was most likely born with and that is very common among puppies. It was cleared up with medication and we have been free and clear since then. I would recommend this breeder to anyone looking for a Bichon.

• Me
      12th of Feb, 2012

I can understand your concern. But I have purchased 4 puppies from them. Kennel cough is something you cannot control. The meds he sent you would have solved the problem right away. Your dogs should be fine and shouldn't experience any more problems down the road. Good luck to you and your family with your new editons!! My dog just turned 6 on the 8th and the other turned 5 in November. Unfortunately my ex has the other 2 but they are in great health.

9th of Jul, 2013

Where do I begin? When I first took home my now two year old Maltese he came with a lovely case of pneumonia. Thankfully my vet was able to take care of that with plenty of antibiotics and even an iv. That cost me about $800. About three months ago my puppy had to have surgery for two stones found in his prostate and his kidney. The stones went for analysis to see whether it was his diet or other factors and it turns out my dog has an enzymatic disorder and liver issues. The surgery along with countless blood and urine tests and ultrasounds cost us about $2500. I don't care about the amount we've had to pay for my dog's vet bills but the pain he's gone through at such a young age is upsetting. I can't even describe the issues with aggression that we experience with him. I've worked with trainers and did plenty of research and classes. his unprovoked aggression is a major threat to my family, any guests I have over my house and myself. I have the scars to prove it. NEVER will I recommend this "breeder" who now I've read that is actually a "broker" who buys these puppies from mills in Pennsylvania. Biggest mistake I've made. I will gladly adopt next.

9th of Jul, 2013

From my previous post, I am not blaming the Mcdowells for my dogs poor health, however it is wrong that they mislead others into thinking they are a private breeder. Instead they purchase from mills. I would never support mills for their disgusting treatment of dogs. Do your research I obviously did mind a little late.

11th of Jul, 2013

So two days ago i posted and my dog was just diagnosed with a liver shunt... liver shunts are HEREDITARY. do not support this breeder/broker/whatever you want to call it. clearly, these "breeders" do not care about the livelihood of their puppies and are only out to make a buck. my dog is scheduled for surgery next week. hopefully all his suffering will come to an end..

• Kd
      4th of Dec, 2013

These people do not buy puppies as some of you say on here. She has had her two yorkies for years. We bought our Yorkie fr them. I met mom and dad. And our boy max is perfect. She also has two Maltese and two bishons. We met all of them. She does purebred mixes and then designer mixes of morkies and such. She has had the yorkies since collage !!! That's when she started this. They also offer to babysit the dogs if you go on vacation !!! These people are wonderful. You can't control if you get a dog that has hereditary issues. Guess if your baby came out wrong from you you would probably blame the drs. Not yourself right ?!?! Wow. Do more research before you post things about people like this.

• Pa
      9th of Feb, 2016

I purchased a morkie December 2015 she has kennel cough, flea infestation, sore eyes, We have been to vet twice now and will be going back this week again because she is still having breathing problems. I would NOT Reccomend anyone buy a dog from Jason or Heather McDowell. I have now researched them and they were busted for owning 60 some dogs and sold 43 puppies that are known of in 2011 and sold more puppies than that in 2012. They Failed 3 inspections and they still are running this puppy mill just not using pampered pups as their name. They need shut down, they are careless to these animals! None are on site Jason McDowell told me himself that him and his wife have separate houses and he built a dog house as he calls it on a piece of property he bought but refused to show me where it was and also refused to show me any of the parents because they all live in the dog house. He was rude to me when I told him my puppy was coughing like she had a hair ball the day after I purchased her, he mailed me medicine that only a vet prescribes and told me not to take her to the vet she's just nervous and I am over reacting. It's obvious a vet he knows is in on his puppy mill. Jason McDowell and his wife need shut down!!! He is from Edinburg big fancy log home near train tracks. I have emailed numerous humane society sites trying to get help for these poor defenceless dogs that can't ask for help. We need to be their voice and help shut the McDowells down and save these animals!*

28th of Apr, 2016

I have know the McDowells for many years. I have been to their facilities many times. They do private breeding and brokering. I have seen hit adults bear puppies on many occasions. Good people

8th of Dec, 2016

I don't know what could have possibly happened to these people! I had positive experiences with them. The dogs were home bred and raised. My dogs are fine. Two houses? A barn full of dogs? Puppy mill purchased dogs? Geez. I guess you could say that I am in shock. I can not say anything negative about my experience with them. I purchased two dogs from them, one almost 10 years ago and the other almost 7 years ago. No complaints. From what i could see, they loved all the dogs that were there when we were there. They told me that 9 dogs slept on their bed every night! Puppy mill breeders do not normally allow that. Jason brought the dogs into a play yard in the garage and let us watch them interact, etc so we could select our little fur ball of joy. Jason did say, however, when we purchased them that if we were not happy, we could return the pup and select another...which I had no intention of doing. I feel badly that so many have had such negative experiences.

15th of Mar, 2017

We purchased our first dog from Heather in 2005 and he was the light of our lives. When he died of a hemangiosarcoma we were devastated and decided to go back to Heather. We purchased a maltipoo on April 9, 2016. We did not get to see Heather, and again, we did not get to see the parents of the puppies. Our dog has been very sickly, coming home with giardia, a swollen lymph node, pacing, sometimes lethargic, trouble on and off with food, bouts of diarrhea, and then biting. In January he was diagnosed with a UTI and bloodwork is being done to determine if he has a liver shunt and Addison's disease, as another reader notes. And we, too, will probably incur a $5000 surgery bill in addition to the $2000 we've already spent. Looking back now, the whole experience was odd. Jason never once corrected me that he WAS NOT Heather when we were texting back and forth about the puppies, and I only realized I was dealing with Jason once I saw a masculine hand in a video of the dogs that I requested numerous times. When told of the dogs illnesses, he told me to call his vet, which oddly sounded like Jason when answering the phone. And it seems if you want a maltipoo, he's got em, a bichonpoo, he's got em, morkies, he's got em, etc. And at ten weeks, it is hard to tell. Theyre all about the money operating under the falsehood that they're a nice, Christian family. I'm filing a complaint with the attorney generals office and the human society. (it should be noted they've operated under numerous identies--furyourlove, EGLC Enterprises, onlypups, etc.)
    There's too much indiscriminate breeding resulting in serious health issues as evidenced by all these complaints.
    These people need to be stopped.
    Please feel free to contact me.

• Li
      10th of Apr, 2017

@Debby Blinky Debby, thank you for posting your experience with these people. I do have a few questions if you don't mind as I am very upset with an experience we just had this past weekend. Thankfully we read everyone's posts before going into the house, but I can't get this image of the puppy out of my mind and feel I need to do more to help. Please contact me at 412-310-8784. My name is Lisa. Thank you

• Li
      10th of Apr, 2017

I would have to say that what we experienced this weekend would verify the negative responses on this forum. The puppy we saw did not appear to be the puppy in the video they sent us. The puppy was very scared, unsocialized, frightened and looked unhealthy. I would have been upset just with that experience, but reading these posts made me realize that there is something very wrong with this establishment. I would never consider using them again and I can't get the image of that puppy out of my mind.

14th of Jun, 2017

After purchasing my pup from Jason in November of 2016, I can say that I would NEVER recommend buying from this "breeder" ever again. First off him nor his wife were home to show me the puppy. Jason was away and I never met his wife. His mother gave me the wrong age and breed of the puppy, but we figured out the real information on the papers we received. That night the puppy played like a normal puppy should but the next day was were the real problems occurred. This little puppy, who was incredibly under weight, ate one time in the morning and that is all. As the day goes on he didn't drink anything and had bad diarrhea and was vomiting pretty much all day. After calling Jason all day, and he didn't answer but when he finally did later in the day, he told me to feed the dog applesauce. After a couple hours passed the dog looked like he was going to pass out and I called Jason one more time to see what to do. But being the super caring breeder that he is, fell asleep and I was on my own to figure out what to do. So after I rushed this poor dog to the vet he was diagnosed with Parvo. The next morning I took him back up to Jason's house because he wanted to take him to "his vet". When I arrived I showed him my vets papers that diagnosed him with Parvo he refused to believe that and pretty much fought with me that he didn't. He would communicate with me and my family about the dogs health but he would tell a different story each time we asked. He tried to convince us that the dog was in great hands and is doing fine. Although I did get my money back, I would NEVER, NEVER, recommend him.

4th of Feb, 2018

@Joshua Bujakowski Please file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office. If no one complains, nothing will be done. They need to see a history of complaints.

• Ly
      21st of Jun, 2017

When looking last week for a puppy for my family, I found the furyourlove website. Because it seemed as though this breeder had the breed I wanted, I contacted them via email and then by text. When texting I was given a 2nd number to text. The exchange was somewhat awkward (them not paying attention to my responses and responding somewhat informally and not professionally) and never was I given their names. I took my kids to look at cavachons, and the guy (apparently Jason from what I'm reading/learning) was just a little odd. He never introduced himself and had to ask upon my arrival what I was there to see. He commented, too, that he was surprised at my being on time as most are very late. He brought out 2 pups for us to see, and both were a mess. The little one was filthy and had eyes that were dirty/runny. She was sweet, though, and energetic as a pup should be. The other, a little older, was horribly stinky and cowered in the corner of the pen. She never really showed a sweet, playful side and even avoided looking at us when we'd hold her up to our faces. Both pups were so stinky, and I just felt so dirty after handling them. We aren't ones who have to wash every time we touch our dog, but we sure were that day! Thankfully I'd read more on this "breeder" before taking my kids, and I'd shared my concerns with them before we went. They were watchful and Realized my concerns were valid. In addition, they (not I) noticed the tags on the pups said poodle mix, which wasn't what we'd asked to see. I was very disappointed that we were deceived as we were, and it broke my heart to see pups in such bad shape. I'm not surprised to read of others either getting sickly dogs or not the breed they thought they purchased. It's a shame that this can't be stopped!

4th of Feb, 2018

@Lyzajosmom Please file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office. They need to see a history of complaints. Otherwise, nothing will be done.

26th of Dec, 2017
    Best Best Advice

As an update, our dog had liver shunt surgery in April 2017, to the tune of around $8500. I filed complaints with the attorney generals office, humane society, dept of agriculture and representatives, knowing that the puppy mill laws only require that they refund the money paid for the dog. Heather agreed to refund the money but ONLY IF I RESCINDED COMMENTS posted here. We declined her offer because we cannot be bought that cheaply and others need to know about them. Only by filing complaints will you make a difference.

• Jl
      24th of Aug, 2018

I bought a sick puppy there about 10 years ago. When I went to pick her up one of the adult dogs got loose (if only it could have gotten away) Jason ran after it and called it a "[censored]" in front of my child and myself. Hello who does that and why are they still in business?

• Ka
      22nd of Mar, 2019

I bought my dog Bentley(bichon/Maltese mix) from them back in December of 2010. He is now 8 years old and just got out of the animal hospital in state college. We spent nearly 5, 000$ and found out he has IMT. Prior to this he’s had numerous issues! Overlarged spleen, skin issues, his knee caps are completely in the wrong spot which eventually will lead to ANOTHER surgery. When I went to the house I as well ONLY met Jason. Bentley my puppy was terrified in the corner of the garage and any time Jason would talk Bentley would just shake and shake. Something funky is going on. It’s not ok to keep breeding and making sick babies! SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE!!!
    Ps. The picture of Bentley and I was taken at the Metzgers animal hospital in State College. If it wasn’t for them Bentley wouldn’t be alive!! God is good!!!

@Kayla1540 You should put this on their Facebook page northeastpups

30th of Mar, 2019

They advertise themselves as ‘family breeders’ but should own their identity as unscrupulous breeders.
    One day after we brought our “maltese” home she started coughing and since our puppy had just been to our vet and tested positive with coccidia, we called Jason and Heather back. They said “She’ll be fine its normal for them to get little colds, ill send some antibiotics.” They mailed us basically penicillin.. then got my vet involved after nothing changed with the puppy’s health after a couple of days. My family became very uncomfortable so I inquired more into the puppy’s parents health. On March 12th, I asked Heather and Jason for pictures of the puppy’s parents. On March 14th, they sent me the same picture of the father that I had seen while I was at their home but sent me a different mom that I had NOT seen and this dog had curly hair—- Do Maltese have curly hair? No. The same day, 03/14 I asked for the puppy’s parents health records not until 03/19 did they iMessage me back an illegible photo of the record of the dad and then aired me until 03/22 with another illegible photo of the mothers record. They also mentioned I was the first person in 17 years to ask for the parents health check?! I find that hard to believe. Although the mother’s record is blurry and dark, zooming in the mother’s breed is listed as a POODLE. I am absolutely livid and truly don’t understand how these people are in business, a quick google of their names or address (jason mcdowell edinburg pa)will show you that Im not the only person that has been a victim of their shady business. Don’t waste your time here to end up with a sick misbred puppy. They are low quality people who do not care for their animals their licensing should be revoked.

30th of Mar, 2019

Now that I’m looking at all the reviews I did find that place somewhat weird. Jason said he gave my tea cup Maltese a bath...which he lied obviously she was so smelly. Two days later she got diarrhea...when I contacted him he was very nice told me to stop by for antibiotics. I didn’t..I just took her to my vet. He also said she had her first shots which I’m very skeptical about that now after reading the reviews. They should run an investigation on these people. If it’s that bad they need [censored] down.

30th of Mar, 2019

Please, please contact the attorney generals office. Without a “history” of complaints nothing will be done.

@Debby Blinky How do you contact? Please provide info

2100 L Street NW
    Washington, DC. 20037

Pda.pa.gov
    Pa Dept Agrilculture
    Dog Law complaint form, submit claim online

• Al
      30th of Mar, 2019

I am so blessed to come upon this page. As I have been in contact with this family this week. My husband however did his due diligence on researching them from their phone number and business name which they stated to us was Northeast Pups. My husband thought something was off when they sent us a puppy that did not look nothing like the breed we wanted but we still communicated even with his gut saying no until today he decided to research them as we were going to check out a pup next weekend.