Outback Steakhouse / charged my debit card more than agreed

1 NE85th StKirkland, WA, United States Review updated:

Having been satisfied with our meal I decided to give them a 10% tip. I did this using my visa debit card and signed the receipt. When I checked my bank statement they had charged me $10 more than agreed. This is the secont time it has happened at an Outback restaurant so it is not a coincidence. I spoke with the manager who did not seem surprised and made the excuse that the server had just input the value incorrectly and promised to refund my money. 1 week later and it has still not gone back in my account.

Comments

• Cy
      17th of Feb, 2009

If you were *satisfied* with your meal, you don't tip *10%*...unless you're cheap...or a foreigner.

• So
      17th of Feb, 2009

If the restaurant is not cooperating it is time to tell your bank about the fraudulent charge. They will ask to see the receipt, of course. This long after the fact is probably too late for the manager to do more than give you a gift card anyway.

• Bi
      17th of Feb, 2009

it's $10! boo freaking hoo. Get a life. Be nice to your server, they do handle your food without you seeing it. I'm only saying.

• Ca
      8th of May, 2018

@Bigfish Shut up silly [censored] up that’s they job, people don’t gave money to just give away to waitresses for a job they already get paid to do

• Si
      27th of Feb, 2009

I believe Outback (at least in my area) charges gratuity on your bill. I refuse to go somewhere that decides how much their tip should be. I always tip well if I get good service, but the whole "forced tip" thing gets under my skin.

• Re
      4th of Mar, 2009

10% you cheap ###. Satisfied starts at 20%, although if they did that to you it is fraudulent and should be addressed

• Am
      14th of Mar, 2009

First of all, a 10% tip does not imply satisfaction! 15-20% is considered average. Second of all, it typically takes 7-10 business days to have money refunded on a debit card. However, it sounds to me like the server knew what he/she was doing. I have seen servers do this before and it is not ethical or legal- it is simply a nasty way to get back at a bad tipper!

22nd of Mar, 2009

FREND BY GIVEING YOU'RE SEVRER A 10% PER CENT TIP, , U DID NOT ICDICAET SAFISTACTON BTUT INSETED SENTT THE MASSEGE THAT U WERE NOT SAFISTYIED, ,

I AM NOT SHURE ABIOT THE INTETION'S OF THE SEVRER IN QESTON BTUT U SHOLD HALF LFEFT A LAGRER TIP & THEY SHOLD HALF NOT TKAKEN A BIGER TIP IF U DID NOT LEAF IT

SICNERLY

SHEPISHLY

Dr M A CARNARVORO

• Wa
      19th of Jun, 2009

haha you ate at outback what do you expect

• Ka
      21st of Jun, 2009

If you were satisfied with your meal you don't tip 10%. If you were at outback your server losed 3% of your tip to bus boys and hostesses, and even if that wasnt the case 15% is an ok tip, and that only says that you were merely ok with your meal. Honestly, you should be embarrassed, and you got what was coming to you being overcharged. Sounds like karma to me. FYI if you tip like that, I wouldn't recommend eating at the same restaurant twice. Servers remember, and they aren't going to waste their time when they won't get paid.

26th of Feb, 2010

the same thing happened just recently to me...but, in my case, the waitress changed the tip by adding a 2 in front of what I wrote.
    I was cheap (9%) tipping on the card (to make it an even for my account) but I left cash also. (total of 14% tip) that was average for the average service that we received.
    really? a $20 difference, I noticed!
    of course the manager stated that the servers in no way make changes to the receipt and stood there looking at me crazy, but I did get my $20 back and now I know better than to eat at that location again.

• Up
      17th of May, 2010

outback charges an 18% gratuity for parties of 8 or more (i'm a former employee), and it is standard practice in almost any restaurant, but there is no additional added gratuity.
    And if you're complaining about being charged double, i guarentee your server was complaining about receiving 10 percent as a tip. Just so you know, with outback, as well as with a ton of other restaurants, servers tip out 3% of their daily sales to the bar, bussers and hostesses. Not 3% of their tips, 3% of their sales. Which means even if you get stiffed on tips all day, you still owe X amount based on what your sales were. So [censor] tips at a restaurant like that hurt much worse. I remember a 7 person party with a $320 bill (mostly from booze) who were complete jerks to me and ended up only leaving me 7% BEFORE i paid my tipshare out and i almost went to the parking lot to call them out. Fortunately, that party was one in a million, and realizing what he had done when he sobered up, came back in the next day to give me more cash and apologize.
    Yea this is a long rant, but i just wanted to say if you tip 10% for GOOD SERVICE, you shouldn't be complaining, you should headbutt a knife.
    And before you argue that you don't have money to tip better, all that says to me is you don't have the money to pay for everything while dining out, and therefore should eat home or go to mcdonalds.

• Up
      17th of May, 2010

as well, outback has a company poilicy to "follow the bottom line" on credit card slips, which means, for example, if your bill was $50 and you wanted to leave a $12 tip, you would total that up as $62. However, if you did your math wrong, or forgot to carry the one (happens far too often), you may write down $52 by mistake. This is what the server has to accept as their tip because of the rules. It works conversely, however, albeit extremely rarely. I can remember a table who's check was for $70-something, and the guy wanted to leave me $12 and ended up leaving me 96 or 98, leaving me $22 instead of 12 because of his math mistake, and my boss said "well, that's what he wrote." always keep the duplicate receipt, that way you know if it's your fault or not, and you will also have the server's name on top of the receipt because if they did actually choose to overcharge you, you have a way to identify who it was.