Outback Steakhouse / raw food, incompetent lying manager

1 Amarillo, TX, United States Review updated:

Just got home from what I now consider to be the most poorly managed restaurant in Amarillo. I ordered the pork tenderloin and my wife ordered the chicken on the barbie. Our food came to the table and my sides had been forgotten. I pointed it out to the waiter and he replied with "Oh, we are out of green beans. sorry. Do you want anything else?" I told him what I would have and he went to get it. While he was gone I got ready to eat my pork tenderloin which is served sliced and drizzled in a sauce. As I separated the slices I saw that the pork was RAW. Not just a little undercooked, it was cold, slimy, mushy RAW! The waiter came back with my sides and I pointed out that my pork was raw. He told me that he would get me another one and in my disgust I just told him I didn't want anything else; I would just eat my sides and some bread. As I expected, I saw the manager come out from the kitchen and head toward our table. On the way he stopped and chatted with some waitresses that were milling around in the back of the restaurant. About that time they all looked over at myself and my wife and snickered. He then continued to our table and stated: "I understand that you didn't like your pork." I told him that it wasn't that I didn't like it, but that it was RAW. He then told me that the pork was cooked medium and that medium was a little rare for some people's tastes. -As an aside; I KNOW meat. Growing up slaughtering our own animals every year and taking some food and meat science classes in college have left me with what many would consider a near expert understanding of protein. Back to the story... The manager then proceeded to tell me that the pork was cooked fine and safe to eat. If I didn't have such an extensive knowledge of what raw pork looks and feels like I might have trusted him and ate it. Not only were his actions unethical, they are DANGEROUS! Trichinosis is just one of the serious and potentially fatal disease caused by eating undercooked pork and this supposed "Food Service Professional" was looking me straight in the eye and telling me that this meat was safe to eat. I am just glad that this happened to me and not someone that would have believed this idiot. What's even more, a couple of minutes later my wife asked me to look at her chicken. She had cut into the thicker side of her breast and what do you think I saw? IT WAS RAW ALSO! I flagged the waiter over and asked him to get the manager. When he arrived I held the plate up and said "Touch this and tell me that it isn't raw." He touched it and without saying a word turned and walked back to the kitchen. For the next ten minutes we sat thirsty and hungry in our booth while every waiter in the restaurant avoided us like the plague. I don't know if he was hoping we would just walk out or what, but I wasn't leaving without him knowing that I didn't expect to pay a dime. While we were sitting and waiting to see how this was going to be handled I was suddenly startled by a voice behind me. The manager said "you don't owe us anything so you are free to go" and before I could even turn my head to see him he had already spun around and was scurrying off toward the kitchen.

This is not the way to treat a customer. No matter what kind of quality control is in place, sometimes there will be problems with the food; what separates good restaurants from bad restaurants is how they handle the situation and the attitude they take with their customers.

If a customer tells you that their food is raw you do not in any circumstance tell them that they are wrong and that it is safe to eat. You also need to apologize to the customer and take reasonable measures to remedy the situation. This did not happen tonight and it is not acceptable.

My advise to anyone eating out: If you think there is a problem with your food, don't eat it. No matter what the waiter or manager tells you, it is not worth the risk. My experience tonight just goes to show that some establishments would rather lie to you and possibly put your life in jeopardy than to admit that they had made a mistake.

Mb

Comments

• Ca
      22nd of Nov, 2010

Become a vegetarian...It really is not hard to do...I am and I have endless good food to eat...
    Go to PETA.ORG and see what animals have to go thru to be on your plate...very sad...

• Wa
      11th of Oct, 2011

PETA = people eating tasty animals... BFL Bacon for life...

• Da
      11th of Oct, 2011

Actually it turned out the person had the exact same problem at several different restaurants. They ordered the exact same food and got the exact treatment at other restaurants so either they got fired from several places or they are trolling.

• Fo
      24th of Feb, 2012

Do you realize in the US there are only about 50 cases of Trichinosis per year? I realize it was a pandemic back in the twenties, but humans are the end of the cycle for this type of parasite. Pork, like beef, is safe to eat at a minimum of 145 degrees, medium rare. And if the meat has been frozen to under zero degrees and kept there for 20 days, it can safely be eaten lower than that! As far as anything under "well done" with beef and pork, seafood, it can be done, but at your own risk. I am sure you are a well done filet mignon type of guy huh? Could I get you some A1, 57, or ketchup with that?

• Ai
      18th of Aug, 2012
    Don't Eat at OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE - CHEATING EMPLOYEES
    OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE: SUPPORTS RACISM
    Aiken
    South Carolina

Charges of Fradulantly cashing emplyee checks have been announced against this crappy Restuarant!!!