Otel.com / They are a scam, avoid

330 West 38th Street, Suite 202, New York NY 10018, New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-775-1466

These guys are an absolute scam. I booked a hotel through them and they charged my credit card. Luckily I checked their online site a few days later and found that the reservation was "on request". I called them to find out what the deal was and they said they have been very busy and they would call the hotel right away to see if they could secure the room. They couldn't. And yet, they already charged my credit card! Guess what else... the room was STILL available on their website to book. They said they were still updating their website. Puhlease, what a scam. I will wait a few days to see if they give me my money back. If not, I will initiate a chargeback.

One other note, I actually went back online to find the same hotel and came across a website called DHR.com. I booked there. But guess what? DHR.com IS Otel.com. They are the same company! So now I have 2 charged bills from these idiots. Stay clear of these guys.

Sh

Comments

• Me
      5th of Apr, 2012

As per my response to your other postings;

Thank you for your post Sperry8 and I am truly very sorry to learn of your disappointment with our company.

If you need instant confirmation then I do advise selecting a hotel that is available to ‘Book now’ rather than ‘on request’.

I wonder if you can please let me have your booking tracking number so I can check and get back to you.

Depending upon the check in date, then the amount of the reservation would have possibly been ‘captured’ and the reason for this is because once the booking has been confirmed, especially if the deadline for cancellation is close then we can send to the client their pre paid accommodation voucher. This ‘capture’ is made not to cause any inconvenience but to assist the client.

If you later found the same hotel to be available on our website, then it sounds as if we were able to secure additional space.

Caroline
    Social Media Support

• Po
      10th of Apr, 2012

I RESERVED ONE HOTEL ROOM, THEY CHARGED TWICE FOR THE SAME RESERVATION. AND FOR 5 WKS HAVE PLAYED THE GAME OF PROMISING TO CALL BACK. ITS OBVIOUSLY A FRAUDULENT OPERATION. OTEL.COM TRADE UNDER MANY PSEUDONYMS. THEY WERE METAGLOBAL NEW YORK NOW FILED BANKRUPT. MERE OPERATORS ARE IN MANILLA . THE BANK IS IN TURKEY . ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ANY MANAGERS NAME, NOR THE TURKISH COMPANY NAME NOR ADDRESS. YURKEY DOESNT HAVE A GOOD NAME FOR PROPER BUSINESS DEALINGS WHICH IS WHY THEY DONT DECLARE WHO THEY REALLY ARE.
    I HAVE REPORTED OTEL.COM TO VISA AMERICA AND ALSO THE POLICE CLAIMING FRAUD.

MY RECOMMENDATIONIS NEVER TO DEAL WITH OTEL.COM THEYRE DISHONEST

11th of Apr, 2012

Thank you for your post Powerup and I am very sorry to learn of your situation.

I would appreciate having the opportunity to look into this if you can please let me have your booking tracking number.

Please allow me to give you some background information on the company and we will be including company information on the website in the very near future;

The first office we opened was in the historic centre of Istanbul, Turkey and today the otel.com network is truly international and spans 3 continents. Despite having offices and call centres in the Philippines and the USA, we have remained loyal to our founding’s and our head office and main charge centre remains in Istanbul, Turkey.

Again I do would like to state that I have worked for the company for nearly 11 years and otel.com is a reputable and well established company, working in partnership with many other leading travel companies. I truly don’t believe that any non reputable company reputable would respond to online posts and offer assistance.

Caroline
    Social Media Support

• Bu
      21st of Apr, 2012

I agree with all the negative reports posted on this and other boards. The complaints about no rooms available after payment as been taken and poor customer service, have been going on for over ten years with this group. Caroline, to admit you have been employed by this company over this period, is nothing to be proud of.

I’m having a similar problem with the Metglobal group that’s still ongoing after seven months. They do not their keep their word, even if given in writing. They are all front and no back, computer driven with little human intervention to rectify minor problems that which will occur. This turns a small inconvenience to the customer into a prolonged stressful experience.

The other companies in the group to avoid are:

HotelsPro.com
    Dhr.Com
    Otel.com
    Tatil.com
    Allstarhotels.com

I find it interesting that not one of the complainants over the years have subsequently posted that their problem was resolved! by customer service.

They have no idea what good customer service means. They are patronising to the extreme. AVOID

• Bu
      21st of Apr, 2012

If you have a genuine compliant about the Metglobal group of companies:

HotelsPro.com
    Dhr.Com
    Otel.com
    Tatil.com
    Allstarhotels.com

Report it to econsumer.gov

The information contained in your complaint will be entered into Consumer Sentinel, a consumer complaint database maintained by the U. S. Federal Trade Commission. Your complaint will be accessible to certified government law enforcement and regulatory agencies in ICPEN-member countries. Government agencies may use this information to investigate suspect companies and individuals, uncover new scams, and spot trends in fraud.

The econsumer.gov complaint database is hosted by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

• Hi
      16th of Jul, 2013

customer service is terrible. I called at least 7 times to get a password for the my account section and all 7 time GOT HUNG UP ON!!!

• Hi
      16th of Jul, 2013

07/15/2013. I AGREE THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWFULL. I TRIED CALLING AT LEAST 8 TIMES AND ALL 8 TIMES GOT HUNG UP ON. I'M NOW TRYING TO CANCLE MY RESERVATIONS.

30th of Jul, 2013

Dear Shane,

First of all I am sorry for the inconvience you experienced.

Unfortunaletlly sometimes hotels are sold out and not able to get availability during reservation booked and hotel updated late their system due to lateness of update, you can see the hotel is still as available. This kind of cases the amount our clients paid directly refunded automatically.

Please kindly inform us if you still did not get refund. We will inform the account department to check with your bank.

Again we apologise for the inconviences you had.

Regards, Merve A.

• Da
      25th of Mar, 2016

Although it is very easy to make a reservation, just try to cancel it. Otel.com is, essentially, a "racket" which, if located in the US, would be put out of business by R.I.C.O. Stay away! I've learned my lesson the hard way.

• Tm
      2nd of Sep, 2016

Worst website ever! Wasted an hour of my day. Entered payment info to then be forced to sign up to then be kicked out of the site due to an internal error to then have the rates jacked way up. Total wast of time scam site.