Oshawa Kicks Soccer Club / Money hungry organization

1 66 Russett Ave. Unit #17Oshawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Personally I feel this is a very money hungry organization. It is all about the parents paying in. I have paid in to much over the years to have only been given back nothing but a sham. The house league was poorly run. Between refs not showing up for games ( thanks to the parents who jumped in to ref), team photos being lost, not enough uniforms. The Rep is not much better. A rep team is a team with players who play at a completive level. There for should have the same requirements for the coaching staff. Parents who play soccer themselves DO NOT make them Rep Coach Material.

Fundraising is a joke. Family worked hard to fundraise to put the money where?

Over all my experience with this clique was a waste of my time, energy and money. I needed to change the direction of my child's soccer career if I wanted them to succeed. That meant moving on to another Durham soccer team. My advice would be to keep your options opened and check out the other Durham soccer leagues before committing. Go to their games and practices, talk to the other parents before you make a very expensive decision.

Good Luck

Va

Comments

30th of Jan, 2008

Everyone can have a bad experience, but calling this club money hungry seems to be pushing it. I have been involved with several clubs in Durham (not Kicks) and the Oshawa Kicks rates are among the lowest anywhere.

The problems you identify is pretty much the same in all clubs and are all related to running on a volunteer basis.

Would you be willing to pay 10 fold for joining a professional club on all levels?

25th of Jan, 2009

My expereince was just the opposite. We always had refs at the games. The coach - Lee - was fantastic with the children. We can't wait to sign up again this year!

• Ha
      26th of Jan, 2009

Ha Ha.. Best of luck with the OSHAWA TURUL!! You think you paid too much for your child to play with the kicks?? Your in for a surprise! You will have a nice new indoor complex for your child to play on, that's if they are still playing within the years of completion. But I'm sure the huge increases from year to year will be OK. As for fundraisers.. again, good luck..I can tell you.. we had NONE for our team! Not even a sponsor. Ohh yes, and ref's.. well..again.. they show up when they want, or like you said, parents volunteer.
    As for professional coaches...Check out the credentials from some Kicks coaches.. I for one have a regional district coach! He can give scholarships. But...Sir/Madam...you will be back with your first choice... I guarantee it.
    See you in the Tourney's...Ohh wait.. you need to raise funds to play there too!!

• Tw
      2nd of Apr, 2009

My experiences with Oshawa Kicks Houseleague has been terrific. We played 2 years with the Park league and there was no comparison. Here are the advantages that I found (Houseleague only)
    1. games and practices at same park all summer, with park we drove all over oshawa looking for obscure parks
    2. great uniforms which we kept (with the Park league we had to give back our Jerseys)
    3. practices that were set up with a series of skills which the kids rotated through (park practices - depending on the skill level of coach, often just a scrimage)
    4. 3 on 3 playing on the field which allowed all the kids the opportunity to actively play instead of just the "bee swarm" where the fastest kids only would get a chance to kick the ball
    5. cost was exactly the same as Park league but included so many more benefits

I have no expereince with the rep teams, but for a summer houseleague which parents and grandparents can sit on the sidelines, drink our Timmies and watch our kids run around for an hour - fantastic!

Satsified customer

• Ti
      6th of Oct, 2009

The Oshawa Kicks is nothing more than money. For those of you that think other clubs are charging more - I have no idea where you're getting your information. The Kicks are the most expensive club in Durham Region. Don't get involved the Kicks. Look elsewhere.

• To
      6th of Apr, 2010

The Kicks have paid coaches and setup too many teams at younger ages who simply cannot compete, but with the added players they can then afford to pay these coaches. The Kicks seem better organized than the Turul but it's $1000 per player people not $400-$500 like other clubs. And yes you keep the uniform no matter where you play. Since Oshawa Fields are closed during spring, Kicks teams use other clubs fields or school fields to practice on, if your kids gets hurt there's no insurance to cover you just be careful.

6th of Nov, 2010

The Kicks houseleague is run very poorly, completely disorganized year after year (no knock against the volunteer parent coaches/referees who jumped in to assist). My experience with my daughter a year or so back in U8 REP with the kicks wasnt much better than houseleague (we went the entire year without a win), female coach for rep. team was unimpressive overall and appeared uncomfortable dealing with the parents.

What the kicks fail to realize is that poor experiences in their houseleague, parents are apprehensive in moving forwards with them in a competitive environment. Parents dont want to shell out REP-team fees only for another poorly run experience.

We went to a different rep. team in Durham and have found a better experience.

• Me
      7th of Dec, 2010

The only complaint I have about Kicks is the photographer that they have been using. I think she is extremelly unprofessional and very unorganized. This is the second year the she has screwed up my little guys photos. It is now December and still no photos.
    My attitude about the actual organization is that the real reason I take my little guy is because I want him to be socialized with other kids and get exercise. If I want my child to really focus on becoming an amazing soccer player at a much higher level then I am willing to pay for professionals.

• Bo
      15th of Feb, 2011

The Kicks pays their Coaches therefore your fees and fundraising expectations are much higher. Your expectations from the club should be higher as well considering the extra investment. My concern is the many coaches who have left other clubs to coach at the Kicks, are they coaching for the right reasons? Beware of promises made before you sign, then just before season starts they sign 8 other players just to get more money in house, your kid will end up warming the bench.

7th of Mar, 2011

parents take some responsibility - find out the qualifications of your rep coaches. if the coach doesnt have b-license minimum or soccer coach training in europe or U.S .you're wasting your money
    Most coaches will not go out of their way to discuss their coaching credentials with parents as they have minimum qualifications.

• Te
      27th of Jan, 2016

We also had a terrible experience with Oshawa Kicks just last year. There was never a coach designated to our daughter's team so the games were just absolute chaos. The games became a complete waste of our time, which is a shame because our daughter absolutely loves soccer. I emailed, called, left voicemail messages for the club and only had one response back a month after the season had ended. Not helpful at all and even still, they were not all that sympathetic to my complaints and again, didn't respond to my follow up email. Irresponsible and truly didn't seem to care about the kids or their experience. The Whitby Iroquois club was amazing, that is where our daughter played the previous year and the difference between the two clubs was striking. This year, we will be trying the NASC Soccer club, fingers crossed for a better experience!