Orkin Pest Control

Posted:

Heartless management and horrible company to work for!

4.1
I am a past employee of Orkin Pest Control from a few years ago...... If you are considering a career with this company, I urge you to reconsider! While at the interview they make it sound like it's the best job on earth! When in reality it is anything but! If you take a job with this company, be prepared to work VERY LONG HOURS WITH NO COMPENSATION! When I worked there I put in an excess of 55 to 60 hours a week, 6 days a week........

Most people would think, "Well it's a lot of hours, but at least you make alot of money from overtime!" WRONG! They pay you on a production basis, which means you make a percentage of the production you make for the day... Which is a very small percentage! What does this mean??? That's right.... NO OVERTIME PAY WHATSOEVER!!! The company realizes this and takes advantage of their employees because they can legally work their employees 60 hours a week and not have to pay any extra out of their own pocket! Aside from that, the benefits from the job are horrific!!! They do offer Medical, Dental, Life.... etc.... but the coverage is so unbelieveably horrible it's not even worth getting! They do have company vehicles of which you have restricted use, (which means you can only use it for work purposes and that's it!) Which would be fine, except they take out a hefty amount out of Your own pay for using their trucks to do their work!!! If you are caught using it for other purposes other than work, there are hefty consequences! And don't think you can just use it anyway and get away with it..... Nope.... They have GPS units equipped on every vehicle so they know your every move! Any extra expenses required for work (I.E. Cell phone calls [of which they require from you everyday]Tolls, work uniforms, and basically anything else aside from gas, you are required to pay out of your own pocket with no reimbursement from the company.

All this combined with heartless management makes this an all around horrible company to work for! Leaving the company was the smartest decision I've ever made! And if you are considering employment with them, I strongly urge you to reconsider.
Complaint comments Comments (47) Complaint country United States Complaint category Job & Career

Comments

A  30th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
Everything this person Valerie posted is true. I worked for Orkin off and on for 15 years. I have also worked for mom and pop companies in the pest industry. Overall, this industry is nothing but a huge rip off scam designed to feed off the phobias of people afraid of pests. Sometimes there are genuine pest issues that need to be taken care of, but mostly these companies thrive off forcing people into long term contracts and milking money from them. With Orkin, it is the worse. When I first started with them in the 1990's, they were a good company. But over time, they have developed nonsensical business practices that force technicians to work very long hours with no real compensation. I worked out the wages per hour I worked, and basically I was working close to minimum wage. I had also developed health issues several years ago, and Orkin was not compassionate to my needs nor very accommodating . Their excuse was that I had to be 100% or not work at all. To the person who calls himself "orkinman" and insulted many people on here who have worked for this company and have viable complaints:I have news for you. I chose to go back to college, earn a degree, and am now teaching in the interim while I get certifications to go into forensic work in Law Enforcement. I am not a wimp. You need to go back to school and learn proper grammar or else you will end up as a Walmart greeter, especially since now Orkin institutes audits on technicians and if there are discrepancies, including not properly communicating, you will be fired, like someone I know who worked for the company for 12 years just had happened.
N  25th of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
I understand many of the complaints on the board but having worked for Orkin at 2 different branches, one mixed, other only commercial, I think I can give a broader evaluation. I currently work for Terminix as an Outside sales/termite inspector. Orkins training was far superior to what I received from Terminix. Not because their training specialist were bad, but because there is not nearly enough time given for the training and OJT is a freaking joke. Orkin puts you with another tech who has been through a class for trainers and who has a reasonable amount of experience. At least for service techs where I was, I don't know about sales people? Some Orkin branches could be tight with giving out chem. That is usually because of pressure from on high for better numbers. You will face stupid crap from ANY and EVERY, large multi-national pest company unless you where recently purchased by one and they haven't had the chance to screw it up yet. I saw good integrity at Orkin with my Branch managers and almost all service managers, even the one I didn't care for wasn't a lair to my knowledge, she was just ready to through anyone under the bus (bigger companies seem to promote that for those who want to climb the ladder). Both Terminix and Orkin have some great people performing the service, (not everybody, but there's always a floater somewhere). The problem is both companies are trying from the top to be merely profit and numbers driven. Corners can be cut to make growth appear numerically, but if you lose focus on service, you will continually be searching for new customers and spending more on advertising/marketing. Terminix is totally that way. So is Orkin to some extent. If you want to be a service tech and make money, it is dependent on your route. Even if you inherit the tightest, sweetest route ever, it takes a certain amount of time to make it yours, win over customers, who'd been service by another tech for possibly years, and deal with new stuff. I was always paid over time when I was a start tech, I did feel a little pressure to under report hours but it was mostly self applied. This stuff about serving 37 stops in a day, and and walking away with $700 bucks at the end of the month, seems out there from what I've seen and experienced. If that happened to me I would have seen it rectified or left quickly. If you don't wanna get pimped, don't let somebody treat you like a Ho. In the end a lot depends on your branch, how the branch manager is and the sale(s) and service manager(s). Where ever you go you should learn as much as you can, cause that's the one thing you can take with you.
D  11th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
I am still going through the training process... Commercial side ...so far this is what i have evaluated my BM is great, helps with whatever I need. I got the truck on the 1st day i arrived for training and I went on a 2 week ride along and from what i learned its the price on the ticket is cut in half for the time it should take you to do the job. For instance $30.00 15mins $100 50mins i believe... commercial side is more fun to me because
1. there is hardly ever a ticket less than $100 unless it's a gas station or something small like that
2. lots of exterior only no dealing with people or customers!!!
3. the hardest part is when you start to do your route you have to figure out which stops to do first!! Some you can do all day, some will want you as early as 5 am its just figuring out who wants you when. But the main problem is callbacks..have to many and you can't get anything done.
4.my route manager is cool too if i need help with anything he prefers i call him before anyone else he also does paperwork and helps others finish their routes if they can't finish it. BM pretty much the same way
5.i got my tools and my uniforms and my bags to carry stuff in yesterday...all free i know because it didn't come out of my check :-)
6.techs are real friendly too each one said " Hey if you got a problem or if there's any questions please... give one of us a call or the RM so that you get the help you need."
N  21st of Apr, 2014 by    0 Votes
Been with the company for 9 years and love it and especially the people I work with. I have worked at 3 different branches in my area and helped train a merging company. I hate to say it, but a lot of you complaining sound like a bunch of screw ups. Nobody has 37 calls, works after 7 p.m. at the most. Plus how are you going to treat in the dark properly?, yes you get paid overtime even on commission salary, and the car take home charge is only 110 a month. Of course you cant take you company truck out anywhere as a personal vehicle and management does not care if you stop at places while in route. Im guessing some of you were driving and doing things that were interfering with you daily work. Dont get me wrong there are some c*** managers out in the Orkin world. Region also helps solve branch problems by having town hall meetings once a year to discuss problems set aside without management. Ive seen the results and im not complainer. Also to the guy complaining about broken equipment technically a lot of it just needs to be fixed due to wear with simple tools use your dam brain lol.
N  4th of Nov, 2013 by    -1 Votes
Hello my husband worked for Orkin west control for 3 years and recently walked away and it was the best decision we could have ever made. When he was hired they feed him a lot of c*** which didn't come to past after he got good and seasoned. He is a very good people person and all his customers loved him they would even by him little things for Christmas or if they had a overflow of vegetables from the garden they would share some with him which really helped a lot considering we have three children to feed. The management at the branch where he worked was very unorganized and unprofessional and rarely did there jobs but expected the techs to do what they were suppose to do. I do understand that people might say that we are in a recession and you are good to have a job but no job is worth risking your health, life, or family values. If you are a single person you might can handle the job for a little while but eventually you will get burned out. The pay is not worth it the stress is not worth it you are better off working for McDonalds or Wal-Mart. I really wish there was some way that we can all bind together to have one voice so we could file a class action lawsuit against this company. If you are a employee for this company right now and you are considering leaving don't hesitate, if would be the best decision you could ever make. :) hope this help someone.
N  28th of Aug, 2013 by    0 Votes
I see people on here defending there company, that it changes from region to region. Where i find flexibility in a company nice considering each region has different problems with pest control. be thankful you have a good job, however your fellow orkin employee have the same underlining problem consistent from different regions and shouldn't be ignored. IT'S TIME VS PAY! I worked for maid service that was the same way, actually working very little hours; working your tail off in that short amount of time to get an entire house thoroughly cleaned. Not getting paid for travel time, or gas used for those sites traveling long distances; which took the most time of my day. So here i was having to spend 60+ hours away from home and at the end of the month making $400-600. I know how you feel, and recommend anyone going into this business read these complaints and ask questions about the pay, how they handle there customers, what will you be compensated for and what you will not, before taking the job. NOTHING is worse than realizing your working for slave wages and showing nothing for it. no thank you's, no bonuses, nothing! And then knowing there is nothing you can do about it, because it's better than no money, or the smug on your work history. I really do feel for you guys.
D  20th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
I've been working for this company for less than a week. I can tell you know, everyone I work with loves their job. I couldn't afford work boots, so my Service Manager gave me money to buy a pair. The branch manager took the new hires out for a nice lunch. Yesterday, I made a big mistake and fell through the floor of a customer's attic. If I don't lose my job over that, I really will know how great this company is. Ready these reviews makes me very happy with the branch I'm working out of.
A  18th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
"Orkinman" (obviously a company shill), get a clue. You may or may not agree to this complaint, based on your IQ . I worked for this company for 5 years, it's all true. Hours plus, very little compensation. Clueless management only interested in the big dream which extreme very few realize. Good luck sir, I hope you make it. However, I think you will rethink your career choice when realization strikes you hard, as I did. God speed!
D  6th of Aug, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have to say it seems like the branches most of you work at are awful. I am a branch manager at Orkin in the deep south. I find a lot of employees trick themselves into thinking they are hard workers and are being mistreated. You may work 16 hours one day but you tend to forget the other 5 you finished early. My Orkin is a franchise (a larger one, I run 16 counties, and 4 parishes) and my guys work very hard. I have also fired many employees that I have found to be lazy, stupid, or some combination of the two. People have to understand if you have any position at my company your also a salesman. My guys do work long hours, 7am to 6pm, M-F. They may even work more if they have an early stop or a late clean out. I go out of my to provide for my guys because if they are on my team they are outstanding workers. I pay their heath care (no out of pocket for them), I allow my trucks to be used at no charge to go back and forth to work, I have a scheduler for them, they make 22% of their route charges (most are at 14, 000 a month), pay them 10% on all contracts they sell (10% of the yearly total of contract), 50.00 per sold lead if they give it to a salesperson, access to all the chemicals they need (if they use more than they should they have to explain way to prevent ghost routes), and I pay 50% of whatever their phone bill is because they do use their personnel phone for company use. It may be that your branch is really bad or your are. If these Orkin or Terminex branches are really that bad how do they have employees left? It seems to me they wouldn't be able to keep anyone and they would shut their doors.
N  10th of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
Written by Seeking Legal Action II on May 10, 2012

I am seeking legal action against this company they are a bad bad company. You are absolutly right they are not only getting rich off their customers but there employees as well. I was one of their best techs work wise but not a kiss *** and/or played into their political correctness control issues bs. This company Orkin is a revolving door they can't keep good techs or bad techs. They use us they basically suck the life out of you and take advantage of you. Then finally when the tech has had enough starts complaining or cutting down on hours to have a life and showing attitude and sticking up for themselves and fights back they deem you a problem worker a bad tech with an attitude problem. God forbid you work less than a 10 hour day with this company and try to have a life. It's pretty sad when an office manager has more control over your immediate branch mgr guess where all puppets on a string. This company creates hostile work environments for the techs period. Then when the tech has finally had enough and decides to leave this awful co and give their 2 week resignation they turn around and promptly dismiss you and not let you finish your 2 weeks which is illegal in many states hoping you don't figure out you can still file for unemployment and win because of them abbruptly dismissing you and then they(Office Mgr/Regional Mgr screw with all of your vacation floating hoidays and finagle it to make it look like you used it and then to top it all off they start given you bad references so you can't find other employment which is also illegal. Whats sad is all the big pest control companies are this way now it is one of the most back stabbing unethical buisness to be in and quite frankly I am thru working for these types of companies I will be starting my own buisness if able or I'm getting out all together. I think all of us former Orkin employees need to ban together across the nation and bring a class action law suit and finally expose this company and the pest control industry for who and what they really are! Either way I'm seeking legal action!
N  10th of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
Written by Seeking Legal Action II on May 10, 2012
Regena when many many complaints come from many many different states its an Orkin problem period manager/mgmts are puppetts on strings period. I too am seeking legal action against this company they are a bad bad company. You are absolutly right they are not only getting rich off their customers but there employees as well. I was one of their best techs work wise but not a kiss *** and/or played into their political correctness control issues bs. This company Orkin is a revolving door they can't keep good techs or bad techs. They use us and they basically suck the life out of you and take advantage of you. Then finally when the tech has had enough starts complaining and showing attitude and sticking up for themselves and fights back they deem you a problem worker a bad tech with an attitude problem. God forbid you work less than a 10 hour day with this company and try to have a life. It's pretty sad when an office manager has more control over your immediate branch mgr guess where all puppets on a string. This company creates hostile work environments for the techs period. Then when the tech has finally had enough and decides to leave this awful co and give their 2 week resignation they turn around and promptly dismiss you and not let you finish your 2 weeks which is illegal in many states hoping you don't figure out you can still file for unemployment and win because of them abbruptly dismissing you and they screw with all of your vacation floating hoidays and finagle it (office Managers) to make it look like you used it and then to top it all off they start given you bad references so you can't find other employment which is also illegal. Whats sad is all the big pest control companies are this way now it is one of the most sad back stabbing unethical buisness to be in and quite frankly I am thru working for these types of companies I will be starting my own buisness if able or I'm getting out all together. I think all of us former Orkin employees need to ban together across the nation and brng a class action law suit and finally expose this company and the pest control industry for who and what they really are! Either way I'm seeking legal action!
N  21st of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
Sounds like to me you guys have bad management in place. You should have called your regional manager & fixed whatever problems were going on first. I work for Orkin now as a pc tech & have gone on to be a trainer. The people that i have read in this post I have seen come through the offices of Cooks and Orkin. You simply didnt know how to properly manage your route. I start at 7:30am or sometimes 8 or 9am & run 12 to 14 stops a day and home by 4. Thats even if i get a new start. I dont have many call backs because I make sure I do a through job while i am at my stop to ensure no call back. Its very easy. I totally agree with the insurance. It sucks. I cancelled it. I pay $60 twice a month to take my truck home & no place else. This is due to high price of insurance that the company has to pay. Which I live 25 miles from my office so that is cheap since it will take $400 a month to drive my big truck to work. My Management is supportive & helps me all they can. They expect me to get my stops done which is 200 stops a month. which with the 2 reinspections i do daily I usually gross $45k per year.
ITS SIMPLE. WORK SMART NOT HARD & STOP COMPLAINING & WORK. People are so lazy these days and want to get paid for doing half the work or none at all. This job takes being extreamly organized, punctual and great customer service skills. If you dont have these you wont make it. Regena at the best company out there... ORKIN Madison TN
N  10th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
I worked for orkin for 4 years in Florida, the most abusive corporation i ever worked, with a half way good sorry ### benefits, slavery hours, not over tI'me pay, poor medical coverage. i just couldn't make a strait decision, pay medical, and live in my car, or buy food and provide to family a home, yeah!!! For those Orkin lovers, buy some self steam books please... i quit 4 months a go, i miss all my co-workers, and 90% of my customers, but I'm free now...
A  12th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
I 100% agree with all the negative comments. They are spending as much money as they can to not pay me or help me after getting an industry related illness. Also, as far as the comments being made about documentation...they want you to make no written requests of any kind so there is no paper trail. As far as the hours that was never an issue, I have no problem with working long hours and I do have a family and they understood my long hours, however the compensation and excuses of not being compensated for sales made every month was a toll. The lies and dishonesty from upper management level is disgusting. In my belief, not only are the employees taken advantage of there is a major disservice done to their customers. We were told on numerous occasions not to go back to certain customers homes due to the risk of having to pay out claims for work not performed correctly in the past.
N  19th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
Sounds just like Terminix to me!
A  13th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
As an employee of two years, all the working as slaves is completely true. And, in part, yes it does vary by what branch manager u have. But, when u have a branch manager that cares, somewhere down the line, the upper guys find ways to get rid of them. The hours u work is true as they come. Worked a total of 70 hours of work, and only was paid for the hours of service., which came to 56. The remaining time wasn't paid to me, due to a law being amended which gave them the right to not pay u for drive time, which in my case was about ten extra hours of work for free a week. The overtime is set as a fluctuating work week, which is Chinese overtime, in short. Nothing about ur services changes, unless there's a problem in the account. Beyond that, slaves is what they make out of u. Currently looking for alternate company to work for. Got screwed out of what money I was making, no matter how well ur customers talk u up, they always have a reason not to pay u more for what u do for their company. The workers make the company, and they have lost that vision by allowing themselves get too big, too fast. We are the reflection of that company, and our customers see the tech, not orkin.
A  8th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
I agree with the negative feedback..my husband has been with orkin for over 8 years...even though the company started out good they have taken a turn for the worst.the branch manager only sees things he wants to see but then when something big happens he says he was blind sided when really he didnt pay attention..the new tech manager well was timid at first now she tries to throw her weight around and thinks she owns the place..she did this volunteer thing and dont get me wrong i believe in helping people out when needed but when she goes to the house to clean up or paint on the clock to me that is not volunteering..then when she asked other people to help out and volunteer their evening or weekend she would send texts and call or make statements about not volunteering..volunteering is just that volunteering no obligations to it..she also brings in pictures of herself in bikinis..what the hell is that..who care what you looked like 20 years ago you arent going to get it back...she is to busy sucking the new region presidents ### to really do the work she needs to do...also to busy going to walmart to go shopping..also telling the techs that they have a stack of applications and anybody can be replacedm well honey so can you...my husband works his ### off and spends long hours and this job and they want him to slave away..he cant take a vacation because he has to have his people done before he can go..thought taking a vacation was for that reason so you didnt have to worry about the customers for a week...now you have to fill out all this paper work so the customer can see what you done and what youll be doing the next time..really do the customers give a ###..more likely no as long as there tech is getting the job done..they talk about customer service for the techs but it works all around..the call centers are a piece of ###..half the time he never gets the message about customers that reschedule or starts..the customers get transferred many times before they get to talk to anybody and they are rude..i know the seceratry at my husbands office is a ### and for some reason they keep her around..then they turn around and wonder why the customer is mad...well id be mad to if they gave me a time frame and nobody showed and come to find out the tech knew nothing about it...branch manager says the call center is working out the bugs..my thing is it has been over a year and a half and there still is bugs then something is not working...also orkin changes the rates of customers every 2 years..well this year instead of being a couple of bucks it was between 8 and 10 dollars. then they wonder why customers cancel..get a clue..they say that is how the techs get there raises but how do they get raises when they higher the rate and people cancel because the rate is to high???? stupid ###...just because you have a college degree and sit inside an ice cold ac dont make you smarter than the small person...the techs are the ones that are making orkin the money and as far and management and all the uppers they either have forgotten or are just to stupid to see the full picture...as far as benefits...orkin is a fortune 500 company and the benifits are ###...husband needs lab work and insurance dont pay for any of it..so he cant get it...wtf...truck use well they take it out of his check and then return it but tax it...orkin can pencil whip that for their taxes we cant..they will replace you on a dime and make some excuse to make them feel better about firing you..(well he owns another business and has a qp hell be ok, or he wasnt a team player) there is no team playing at this job..its work out in the 115 degree weather in the summer if you start early to beat the heat your bad cause something may come in your on call until this time...if you have a family you might as well chalk it up as not seeing them cause you very rarely do...beware of orkin..if the job maket was better believe me my husband would be somewhere else that appriecates him...not this crap where the company keeps getting richer while the little people work for all the money and get a very small percentage..
A  28th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
i got into an auto accident recently was rear ended with severe whiplash and back injury they after one week trying to work they went against doctors advice made me crawl on my hands and knees replacing bait stations while the manager talked on his cell phone they threatened me with workers comp fraud suspended my pay after a week because i was unable to drive the 1hour to the office they dont reinburse for highway tools or gas i paid for on my vehicle i am going to formally file a class action lawsuit against orkin they are a nightmare from hell their manager at my branch is very abusive its time i went and found something else to do . right now i have no income for an accident i did not cause. orkin just does not care about any employee we are a bag of money to them their overtime i call it chinese overtime its based on production its horrible this co has changed my faith in corporate america being from europe orkin would be shut down there for its employee practices
A  19th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
My wife has used Orkin for nearly 20 years. As a customer, they were good before the merger with Western, then service went downhill, response time went downhill. As usual, a merger of 2 large companies rarely benefits the consumer in any way; the only way to pay for teh lawyers and executive bonuses for the merger is to lay a lot of people off, then work the rest to death.

I sympathize with the worker bees, they do work hard, but the company is now understaffed and service sucks. We'll be calling a competitor soon.
N  23rd of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes