Orbitz / Price Assurance scam

1 MI, United States Review updated:

Price Assurance is not working….possible scam.

I booked a flight on Sept 9th DTW- AUS for $379 (total cost). I just booked the EXACT same flight for a co-worker on Dec 2nd at $335 (total cost) on my same Orbitz account. When I select my “Price Assurance” link in my account, both itineraries are listed, and both say, “Tracking - You currently have the lowest price!” …though one is listed at $379, and the other at $335. I spent an hour on the phone with a customer service rep, but they were not able to help me at all, even though they confirmed that all details were correct. They had no idea why it was not working. I even received a follow up email listing my current Price assurance reward at zero dollars.

I wonder how many other people are being ripped off as most are not booking the exact same flight twice…they have to have faith that Orbitz is being honorable and holding up their end of their guarantee. I have taken screen shots of all details and plan to spread this information and take action if necessary to stop their false advertising and guarantee.

Ma

Comments

Ga
  4th of Mar, 2009

I have a similar story. Mine was a difference of $400 on a flight to Buenos Aires. Orbitz is definitely lying. I'm just waiting for the lawsuit so I can be part of the class action. They owe me $500.

Ma
  27th of Mar, 2009

Orbitz price assurance program is a scam. the only reason i booked through orbitz is bc of price assurance. i booked a multi city trip to italy. the chances of someone booking the same flights to the same cities on the same days are slim to none, but Orbitz price assurance program gives you the false confidence to book. by booking early, i paid $1273...now the same flights are $1152. this is not right. i will never book through orbitz again unless they fix the price.

i was better off booking directly with the airline and receiving a lower
fare when the price changed.

when i sent my complaints to Orbitz, i got boilerplate email responses...when i got more angry, they said a supervisor would contact me...that was more than a month ago

Np
  13th of Apr, 2009

Add me to the complaint list my airfare dropped over 250 per ticket and they said that there is nothing they can do, I complained and let them know they lost a valuable costumer in me and will tell everyone that will listen not to book through there website because its a scam. I found the same flight on their site for so much cheaper and now I have to wait till they tell me someone booked it for less, why should we believe that they would honor that! I feel like a fool. I too feel penalized for booking through Orbitz I was better off booking through the airline directly. To all those out there looking to book a flight, look elsewhere Orbitz is a bunch of thieves! I learned a valuable lesson and Orbitz lost a valuable costumer!

Ji
  16th of Apr, 2009

Just got off the phone with a second customer service rep in a week. ### Scammers White collar crooks ! I am surprised that they are still able to conduct business here in the US.

I booked 3 tickets for over $1100 with them even though I was getting it cheaper else where bcoz of the price assurance. Later our aunt decides to join us for the trip and her daughter books the same flight for around $250, so the difference Orbitz owes me is well over $100 per ticket, but the lying SOG Orbitz tracker still says that I have the lowest price. First time I called, they asked me to give 48 hours, I said fine, I will give you a week, 2 weeks later, still the same. Today, I was told that she is going to write to the back office folks as to why the lowest price has not been reflected yet.

This one, I have all the proof, screen-shots, videos, printouts, their Price Assurance policy, everything and am willing to take it all the way. First I will complete the flight, then dispute the entire CC charge with Amex and send them the entire information. I will make sure that not only I get the price difference which is by all means mine but I also get reimbursed for all the pain and anxiety caused by their criminal intent.

Ot
  7th of May, 2009

I purchased two ticket to Italy a month ago. Yesterday I received an e-mail stating that my flights have changed and will now arrive 5 hours later (total flight time of almost 20 hours from Pittsburgh!). I called to say this was unacceptable and i was told that one of my flight had been cancelled. As I was on hold with customer service I searched Orbitz again and found the exact same flight as my booked flight but it was $500 (2 tickets) cheaper than what I paid. When the agent return to the phone I told her that they were still selling my itinerary but at $500 less than what I paid so the flight must not have been cancelled and I was entitled to a $500 (2 tickets) refund. I was told that the flight had indeed been cancelled and the website must not have been updated. I was also told there was a Price Assurance Dept which tracked flights for refunds and I didn't get a refund because no one must have booked the flight... we're supposed to take their word for it. I was able to get a full refund and book a very similar itinerary for a total of $300 (2 tickets) less than my refunded itinerary. I looked again today and they are still selling my original itinerary (the one where I was told one of the flights had been cancelled) but it's now about $600 less.

I think Orbitz is changing (or saying flights have been cancelled) people's flights who would otherwise received a large refund due to their Price Assurance Policy. I think they hope most people will not complain about the change in their itinerary and keep the changed itinerary. Once Orbitz changes your itinerary, your itinerary now doesn't match the itinerary that had the price reduction and they don't have to give you a refund. Very sneaky if you ask me.

A2
  25th of May, 2009

I booked a flight to Brazil on Orbitz under United Airlines. The United Airlines reservation shows that all the segments of the flight is operated by TAM airlines and it's corresponding flight numbers. No Problem. A week later i see the same United flight i booked still on Orbitz but now also advertised is the TAM airlines flight with the exact same flight numbers for $700 less. The have the exact same flights for 2 different prices under different headings. I see this as a way to get around there price assurance as anyone who books the TAM flights won't count against my United operated by TAM flights price assurance. Also who in there right mind would book the more expensive of the same flight on the same airline. I am going back and forth with customer service now but i don't see a resolution.

26th of May, 2009

Just like gallegote, I am also waiting for the class-action lawsuit against Orbitz. Please contact me at: philipperv@yahoo.com if anyone has any info about it. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Otis, YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT in what they are doing to get around their price assurance guarantee!

Hk
  17th of Jun, 2009

I should have searched for "orbitz price assurance scam" on google before booking on Orbitz. If you book directly from airlines web site then some airlines issue voucher of the difference as soon as the prices go down (when you call them). Orbitz claims it would automatically send the check but the catch is that another orbitz customer needs to book the same flight(s) at that price and on top of that people have not received refund in genuine cases... which i can imagine must be frustrating. I use to love Orbitz but now i hate it. Not good as a search engine for airfare either, the website is slow and hangs the computer. I will be using only kayak going forward... bye bye Orbitz... companies don't realize, they come up with marketing ideas which they think is the out of the world and they can quietly cheat customers but they don't realize the people are "search smart" now and they can do their own research in short amount of time and forever make such companies go under.

Ih
  3rd of Dec, 2009

STUPID People... travel agencies like Orbitz or Expedia does not have the authority to change the flight reservations of the customers. The only time they change the flight is if the customer wants to change it. For those involuntary changes, these are only done by the AIRLINES. They may change flight reservations (even cancel some of their flights) without prior approval from passengers. The travel agencies' responsibility is to assist you in contacting the airlines to get reaccommodations!

Also to HKJ: KAYAK is just like a search engine which will lead you in booking your flights to any travel agencies including Orbitz.

Next time, why don't you all try reading the fine print (a.k.a. TERMS and CONDITIONS) before you start complaining.

Ed
  7th of Jan, 2010

I just spoke & chatted online with 4 Orbitz customer reps who ALL DENIED MY CLAIM for a refund. Here’s my story…….In May 2009 I booked and paid for a flight for my uncle to the Philippines for $994.70. In October, also book the same flight for my Dad. Ticket cost $934.70. i dropped them off at the airport….they checked in the same time….seated alongside each other and returned the same day. Orbitz’s reason is because of a SCHEDULE CHANGE the price assurance is not effective. What puzzles me is that I wouldn’t had booked them on different flights in the first place. I made sure of that when I booked the second time. Second….the rep admitted that and I quote “….WHEN NORTHWEST CHANGED YOUR RESERVATION…THAT IS THE TIME YOU GOT THE EXACT TIME…”. what?…who told them to change it in the first place?…the funny thing is that…my uncle and dad checked in the same time…..boarded the same flight…..sat next to each other….and did the same thing on their way back to New York….and they’re telling me it’s a different itinerary?…..bottom…who knows really what does on behind Orbitz. They just make up new “terms and conditions” as they go along.

Eddie

Mi
  17th of Feb, 2010

We booked our round trip from NY to Israel through www.orbitz.com on November 29, 2008 for flight departing April 29, 2009 (record loc: AP110101MS3L62S0) and paid by creditcard $2, 296 dollars under Orbitz Price Assurance Policy. Orbitz promised that they will return the difference if ticket's price will go down. It was on their website when we booked tickets, and it was promised when we call two times to Orbitz Customer Service (800-742-9063, 888-656-4546).
We started monitoring the price for our flight at least one month before our departure date on the same website and recognized that price went down to $1, 816. It was $480.00 less than we paid to Orbitz for the same tickets. We called Orbitz and asking for exchange of our tickets to cheaper tickets, but Customer Service Rep. confirmed that we would receive difference after our trip, in accordance with Price Assurance Policy. They lied. We did not receive anything yet. Except apology and advice to call to Customer Service. After exchanging of 3-4 e-mails Orbitz stop responding to our e-mails.
The Orbitz is a monster and their Price assurance program is a 100% scam. I recommend to all possible Orbitz customers NEVER EVER use their service. I am willing to join other victims of Orbitz robbery for lawsuit against Orbitz. If someone has info about it, please contact me at m_eydman@yahoo.com Miron, NY

24th of Feb, 2010

Here's a good tip:

Wc
  22nd of Jul, 2011

Booked our March trip last week with Orbitz. We had been watching flight prices on Kayak and our bank account. Prices went up some and stayed there for awhile. We got nervous with all the high fuel prices and pulled the trigger. We used Orbitz because of the price assurance.

A few days later we get a notice that the airline has changed 1 leg of our trip's flight number. No big deal. We check and it is the same type plane and our seat reservations were the same. No problems. Then we get an alert from Kayak that prices have dropped about $50 a person. We check with Orbitz to see if price assurance has kicked in. Nope. Since the flight numbers didn't match our original reservation we don't get flight assurance.

Hmm. Wasn't that flight number change convenient?

Ch
  13th of Mar, 2012

Wow I'm on the phone now waiting... Lets all contact the BBB.org. This business needs to be reported! They changed our flights 4 times and no refund and this was when gas prices and flight prices were dropping last spring so I know they are scam artist.

Char from Buffalo

13th of Mar, 2012

Never book with the sham online booking agencies. Only fly with Southwest and you can rebook for no additional charges when they drop their fare prices on your route.

Pa
  18th of Jul, 2012

I booked a flight on Feb 7 2012 for travel June 22 2012 Vancouver to San Francisco for 2 people at $288 each
I tracked this Orbitz fare almost daily and there were reduced fares Feb 21 for $261, and then on March 8 for $244.
Seat availability decreased on those dates, indicating that others booked at the lower fares.
I captured the screens with the lower prices to create an electronic paper trail.Despite this evidence, Orbitz says...no price assurance refund! This looks fishy...

24th of Jul, 2012

Hi Paglue,
My name is Lynne, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. The Orbitz Price Assurance program offers a rebate check only if the exact same itinerary (dates, airline, flight numbers, etc.) is later booked on Orbitz.com for a lower price. The full rules, terms and conditions are available online. It’s not just the price dropping; the lower priced itinerary has to actually be booked by another Orbitz customer in order to receive any refund.
I’ll be happy to look into this further for you. Just send an email to socialnetwork@orbitz.com . Enter my name in the subject line and include your Orbitz confirmation number. We’ll review your account. Thanks for reaching out. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Sincerely,
Lynne
Orbitz Customer Relation

16th of Jan, 2013

In October 2012, I booked a trip to Los Cabos, Mexico, on Delta through Orbitz and months later the same trip was more than $300 dollars less on their own website. I quickly contacted them to get their "PRICE ASSURANCE GUARANTEE".
Well, even though all the information was not on their website regarding the price assurance, when they responded they said that in order to get reimbursed for the difference the trip had to: 1) be purchased by someone else through them, 2) for the same number of people, 3) in the same airline, 4) on the same day, 5) at the same time, 6) on the same flight. WHAT A SCAM! Price guarantees generally require proof that the same flight is available cheaper. They had the same exact trip advertised for $300+ dollars less but now someone had to buy a ticket through them to make their guarantee good.
Their customer service is useless! They only repeated their policy in their responses without any intention to achieve a fair and reasonable resolution or customer satisfaction. LESSON LEARNED! NEVER AGAIN!!!

17th of Jan, 2013

Hi, No More Scam,
This is Robert, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations team. I am sorry for the confusion that his has caused. Please forward the Orbitz Record Locator to us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com. Please use my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.
Thank you for your patience, I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Robert Woyach
Orbitz Customer Relations

22nd of Jul, 2013

I lost $2089.68 to Orbitz who denied a transaction was completed so, I booked another ticket with them to same location and dates. I was Billed for Both Tickets. Orbitz Response to BBB Complaint They Agree that a REFUND Is DUE yet unable to complete; They just blame the airline

After 5 hours on the phone I filed the following complaints:
Emirates NY Ref : NYC/X/SC/260613/686131 FAX +121275834434
Orbitz LocatorAP110101ODJYSA0D BBB Complaint Case # 94450489
Emirates Ticket# 1767172927633-634 BBB Complaint 9546287
US Dept of Transportation Case # KC2013050065

Orbits first response to my complaint was 72 days later.

6-months later yep, refund due yet no indication it is forthcoming.

The unexpected theft of $2089. has devastated my family.

Chicago mobster business practices.

BEWARE ORBITZ Orbits RIPOFF NEVER ORBITZ