Orange Woods / Cheat, unfair trade practice

1 India Review updated:

Around early May 2008, there were overwhelming ads in the city by hoardings, daily newspaper ads and FM radio jingles announcing the launch of Orange Woods with very tall claims. The claims in the ads said 'all Bangaloreans to burn down the furniture and buy from Orange Woods'. This led to an unprecedented response from gullible public who fell into the trap (this of course includes me too) and paid for the furniture which amounted minimum of Rs. 30K and upwards of Rs. 50K, i repeat everyone 'paid full advance money' went home thinking that Orange Woods would keep up its promise of delivery. While its ### end of June 2008, I am shocked like many others in Bangalore city at the adversity of this company and its staff. No words to describe the unprofessionalism and malafide intention. While I am sharing my frustration, I am sure there are others who have undergone traumatic time dealing with Orange Wood. I find many victims here trying hard to come to terms about such a blatant cheating. I know everyones who has dealt with Orange Woods feels utterly let down and helpless. This goes to show that there are crooks always waiting to make a killing by innovating marketing gimmicks.

DONT MAKE THIS MISTAKE, I request public to stay as far as away from ORANGE WOODS any in form.

Rm

Comments

• Sr
      20th of Jun, 2008

The complaint is fully correct. Orange woods is a fraud company not fulfilling the delivery yet. Having paid full amount of around Rs.27000/- last month upfront, I am also facing the song of not getting the delivery yet. This real shock to me. It would be prudent from all the customers who are cheated to raise this on the consumer court to get a considerable compensation.

• Ar
      20th of Jun, 2008

I agree. My honest recommendation to people who are still awaiting their "consignment", please get your refund back. They "ARE" giving refunds back to people. I got my money back last week, and so have many others. If they're refusing your refund, I suggest you fight it out over with them...threaten them with lodging a police complaint, approaching the consumer protection forum, getting in touch with the crime reporters at leading english and kannada newspapers. I'm sure it will work.

• Ar
      20th of Jun, 2008

I also suggest you don't fall for their partial delivery of one or two items "now" and the rest "later". Also, sms/email all your contacts to not consider Orange Woods or Orange Properties, what with all the advertising they're shamelessly still doing. Good luck!

20th of Jun, 2008

I too did book furniture with orange woods, they took too long to deliver and I got my refund back. To my surprise my neighbour was delivered their furniture yesterday and man the quality was really good. I regret for having cancelled my booking and having taken the refund after having seen my neighbours furniture. It was worth the wait for them but I lost my opportunity. These guys do refund when you approach them which is why I lost my opportunity to own some awesome furniture at an awesome price. I approached them at their mg road office to reconsider my request for delivery which was not accepted. I hope some day I will get my lost furniture back . Folks if you are approaching for refund after having seen these reviews please do check with these guys at orange woods before you make this choice . I did visit their factory at Peenya where they make sofas and cots - must tell you these guys have state of the art equipment with a good quality control in place. I was alarmed at their product range and display. I lost something which was worth the wait.

• Pe
      20th of Jun, 2008

The comment posted above seems to be from a orange employee.. dont go by it.. stick to your decision for a refund

• Ak
      21st of Jun, 2008

Yes, the comment, one above this one is put up by an Orange Woods employee. I do not wish to name him, but instead would want to present some eye opening facts...

- We booked our sofa under the "netting" offer and gathered patience to wait for one month as stipulated by Orange Woods for the delivery. After this we grew impatient and started to call their call center for 5-6 days, listening to cooked up stories and eventually realizing that we were talking to walls.

- We decided to pay a visit to their factory at Peenya (carrying the incomplete address provided in their welcome letter). Could easily recognize their factory, as we didn't expect any board, shabbily organized things in factory, raw materials and finished products all thrown around with a pile of dust on them, no one to attend/supervise.

What we observed:
    - Wood quality used is of low grade
    - Wood is not chemically treated against pests (like termites)
    - Inner frame design of sofa is not robustly constructed.
    - Cushion used is of "kurl-on" brand, but the grade used is lower (will age off sooner than usual cushions used). Stitching quality is poor in comparison to competitors offering similar segment sofas. Synthetic-leather used is also of mediocre grade.
    - The entire factory has 4 sewing machines (that's it), if this is what is called a fully equipped factory. Rest of the premises is under construction with cement bags lying around amidst bricks and sand piles.
    - Boards outside the factory says "Carpenters required". Workers working inside are working at a snail slow speed and eventually will need more than an year to cater to orders at hand, if everyone doesn't cancel their order.
    - The sofas being prepared in their so called factory are no way close to the ones displayed in their banaswadi showroom. The produced sofas even differ in dimensions.

If you are still one among the waiting customers, immediately visit their factory, convince yourself that you can have a better sofa, go to their MG road office quickly and get your refund. We did the same and are looking forward to REALLY get a sofa from their competitors now!

1st of Jul, 2008

Hope i should also do that, how much mental stress i had gone through with these guys, just a wall unit was delivered and carpenter was sent today after several follow ups. At last just before completing the fix, the carpenter found some parts are missing. The platform small shops like infantory roads are FAR better in their commitments and that too their lousy customer care unit, would never call back.

I will go and get my refund very soon, thank you folks.

2nd of Jul, 2008

I'm also one of the victim. I have paid 37K as a full down payment on May 4th. Had visited their office twice and called their customer care hundreds of times. Each time they are trying to convince for their delay and assuring that hereafter they won't delay anymore. But next time, the same call is attended by someone else, and that person is talking as if he won't aware of any delay happened.
    Last week they changed their trend, and told that I can visit their factory(Which is in Peenya) and collect my consignment. "We cannot go and get it whenever we want. They told that they will call me and tell when I can go there". So Even in this option, they are delaying by telling different reasons. Now atlast they are telling the reason as "Lorry strike", Even if I go there, I cannot get the products delievered.
    After paying them the entire amount, we are waiting for the Product to be delievered and don't know when will it be delievered and what quality will they deliever.
    I'm looking for someway, then onwards these Orange wood people should stop these kind of activities and compensate the victims. All the victims should join togeher to teach a proper a lesson to these kind of frauds.

2nd of Jul, 2008

Guys, I have made a booking on 4th May paying upfront amount of 36 thousand odd, and had more than 100 times follow-up calls with them. When ever I call them I use to shout at them for min 20 minutes. It was unnecessary mental tension we took booking of these items believing the Orange woods. Later me and my wife decided there is no worth of waiting for them to deliver (they have committed to deliver on particular date more than 20 times but never turned up). I learnt that Orange woods people are the innovator of finding strange and new excuses. We decided to withdraw our payment even though the deal was good, we most worried that we give such a huge amount to them and no peace of mind.

I went to their office in MG Road and they tried to convince me lot. I have asked few questions to them.
    Q. Why is this delay happening?
    A. They said “We have ordered some materials from China and its arriving. Also we are facing labor problems" we are not getting carpenters on board and like this there are many issues.
    Q. Ok. Any business there is always risk. This kind of excuses shows that orange woods management is useless as they are failed to plan and meet their schedule. Fine. What was action you have taken to communicate these to the customers who made a booking? At least announcement in the news papers, or letters to the individuals who booked the order should have been sent?
    A. Nothing...

Q. Ok. You are not able to deliver goods on time. When you have not completed the order that is pending till now, how would you go for another round of similar offer? Note: Because Orange woods announced similar offer recently and many people have made bookings".

A. No answer...

Q. For how many people you have delivered fully till now?

A. The answer was very surprising ... “TILL NOW NONE OF THEM HAVE RECEIVED FULL ORDER".

I decided there is no point of talking to these idiots. I have asked for the payment and I received them through cheque. Fortunately the cheque did not bounce. I am happy that I got my money back.

Regards
    Ram

2nd of Jul, 2008

To my surprise, the day I cancelled that order and received the cheque, evening they called me from the MG Road Office ( Becuase I know the number) said" Sir we are calling from the Orange woods factory, Peenya. Your order is ready we want to deliver them today itself, please tell me the landmark."

I asked, Are you delivering all the goods. They Said: Yes Sir. Sofa Set, Wall unit, Center Table, Dining table and King Size Cot.

I have laughed at them.

regards
    Ram

• Di
      6th of Jul, 2008

Hi friends
    i am Dipti Ranjan Samal . I also booked the Sofa along with offer items from Orange Woods in the first week of MAY . Till now i have not received any products from them, instead i am getting a call from Orange woods avery 15 days that our people are going to pick up me from my home to to their factory . But nobody is coming on the day and time i confirmed to them . I am really frustrated with these people and now i thinking that i have really done a big mistake taking product froom thease people . Can we form a group and do something so as to get back our money.
    Please contact me
    dipti.r.samal@gmail.com
    Dipti Ranjan Saml

• Ki
      7th of Jul, 2008

I don’t know what to say for them,
    It’s more than two months and even after repeated follows still now we have not received our ordered materials.
    The way they answer to the customer is disgusting.

• Vi
      8th of Jul, 2008

Yes i do agree with all the statements above. I am still fighting for my furniture to be delivered but nothing fruitful. Please stay away from Orange Woods.

16th of Jul, 2008

My Sugestion is dont wait for furniture. Visit MG Road brach office, if you fight you will get back the money. I Received cheque last week, but my assumption was cheque will bouse back, but it didn't, i got back my money. Dont wait for Furniture... its of waste...

• Th
      17th of Jul, 2008

I had paid the full amount & yet haven’t received any goods from there end, orange words sucks, after a great struggle & after about 100calls to the customer service of orange woods I had received only sofa & the cot which was delivered in a bad condition, cot broke the 2nd day itself because of the bad material used, they had promised to give me the table& the other goods after 10 days I still haven’t received any thing,
    So don’t ever take or accept from this fraud company, I have raised a complaint against these people with consumer court .

• Ro
      24th of Jul, 2008

Hi all,
    I’m in the same boat as you guys. Paid 32K for a Sofa Set. Was promised a dining set, coffee table, a cot and a TV Cabinet. No sign of it till date. I then was talking to a retired consumer court judge who I know. He strongly felt that I should go to the consumer forum...so I did. It worked like magic... just one notice and I have already received the sofa set, dining set and the coffee table. I have made it a point not to sign the delivery note until all items are delivered... as it was recommended by the laywer. I later learnt that many developers have also filed cases against him as he has promised them cars and furnitures and is going to be long gone. I will be checking this message board in the next few weeks...let me know if anyone needs assistance.

• Co
      24th of Jul, 2008

Dear Friends,

Just dont wait for furniture...Fight with them and get back the Money...I got it las Week with the interest of 4%

8th of Aug, 2008

i completely agree to the above complaints . i think they are cheaters !!!

8th of Aug, 2008

something should be done about them .!!! we need to inform consumer rights activists or inform bangalore consumer forum to do something abt it . I think they are harassing people just like that .

8th of Aug, 2008

I completely agree...and most irritating thing is they are coming up with new offers...I hope people will check these sites before ordering and getting cheated...

HOW CAN WE GIVE COMPLAINT IN CONSUMER FORUM?

If we call call center they will ask us to go to showroom...if we call showroom thjey willa sk to call call center...this is too frustrating...Can someone put up this cheating story in any news paper?

I think news papers also wont bring this up since they get lot of ad revenue...its a really pathetic situation... so many people being cheted like this...and no one taking any action